Kimber compact CDP or HK 45c?

This is a discussion on Kimber compact CDP or HK 45c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've Been looking for a new .45 pistol for awhile. After my search it's come down to two guns, the Kimber of the HK. I ...

Thread: Kimber compact CDP or HK 45c?

Kimber compact CDP or HK 45c?

I've Been looking for a new .45 pistol for awhile. After my search it's come down to two guns, the Kimber of the HK. I was interested in the STI Guardian, but it's since fell out of the race. I love the way both guns feels and have read plenty of great things about both guns. My question is if you were in my shoes, which would you pick and why?

2. Remove Ads

The Kimber Compact CDP II would be my choice, but then I have one and enjoy the fit to my hand, and the quality of its 'build'.
    I do dislike the 'take down' for cleaning, but I have been spoiled by my Glocks, and the easy of their care.
    Some here love Kimbers, some hate them...depends upon one's experience.
    If it's mechanical, it can have problems, and it doesn't matter if it's a $200 gun, or a $3000 gun...it can happen.
    I have had no issues with the three Kimber I've had (all CDP's).

The next 15 posters are going to have 15 different reason why you should choose one or the other.
    Which gun is 'calling out your name'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have both weapons and enjoy shooting both but the I prefer the Kimber because of its classic lines and feel. It is the 1911 perfected. I carry it only on certain occasions but never feel like I have to get "used to it" again. It probably costs more than an H&K but you won't regret buying it!

The Kimber has a certain sparkle to it to be honest. Its a gun I've wanted for some time. I've shot an HK and really liked it. I know of the Kimber problems and that does make me a little nervous. Neither is a gun I'll carry everyday. And god forbid no matter how beautiful I want it to go bang if the situation ever arises.

KoB
    HK .45C is what I carry…excellent weapon for me that has been everything I paid for and more!

Go with what YOU feel comfortable with!

I have 3 Kimbers and a HK45 (not compact) and they are all great guns. The Kimber took trips to the gunsmith to fire JHP reliably especially the longer ones.

I probably can shoot the Kimbers faster and slightly more accurately than the H&K. However for a carry gun I have 3 different H&Ks that I trust without a doubt. But add the safety, not a preference of mine, with the small amount of doubt and I choose the H&K.

If this is just going to be a range, fun, or competition gun I would buy the Kimber. If carry for self defense is involved the H&K.

I'd pick the Kimber myself. I've never shot an HK so I can't say for certain but I can't imagine the trigger feeling better than what the Kimber comes with. You'll also have much better options for mags, holsters, grips and springs with any 1911 as opposed to an HK and cheaper too. Even though I've heard great things about the HK45's, personally I still have a tough time parting with almost $1000 for a polymer gun...but that's just me. And gosh darn it, I just like the looks of a 1911, especially the Kimbers, over any polymer gun!
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Save up and buy the Kimber.
    Get some Wilson Combat Mags, (keep the Kimber Mag in a box), and shoot 300 to 500 rounds of hardball through it! You'll never regret your choice!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Links