Picked up my Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Picked up my Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's slightly wider in the slide and more G(B)lock like, than the Kel Tec PF9 just visually comparing. I got the blued one, or actually ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's slightly wider in the slide and more G(B)lock like, than the Kel Tec PF9 just visually comparing.

I got the blued one, or actually it's more black. Finish looks a lot better than the Kel Tec PF9. The PF9 looks like someone painted it with a magic marker. The Taurus looks like a more durable finish. Overall finish is also better. It looks 'finished'. No 'fluff and buff' required here, thank you Taurus.

Weight is slightly more than PF9.

One caution, if your hands tend to run larger, be careful. I predict this gun will be raved about by females and us guys with normal to smaller hands. I can get my hand completely around the grip. I can grip it with either the second or third section of my fingers.

The TRIGGER; in dry firing I think it's great. It's what I had hoped to get when I bought the PF9 and even the P11. It out Glocks the Glock. It is different, but again in just dry firing, it feels really good. The pull is not as long as on the Kahrs, but you have to pull the trigger almost against the back of the trigger guard to fire. This is not bad, you can chose to use whatever part of your trigger finger works best for you. Also, I believe it is more like the firing position of the single action guns I own like SA EMP 40 and Sig P238. Except it has the take up before getting it to the firing position.

The reset is VERY short.

My gun is brand new so I'm assuming like every other gun I've owned, after several hundred rounds the trigger will change. Right now, I'm amazed how comfortable the double action is. In firing with a snap cap, the first pull, which I believe is supposed to be single action, is a little crisp right at the firing point, not bad though. Then the restrike, which I believe is supposed to be double action, is smooth and light. If I could have this trigger, in the double action mode, on the P11 I probably would not have continued looking for another CCW. I'd even take it on the PF9.

I'm not thrilled about giving up the fire power of my Glock 26, but, it is imminently more comfortable on my hip, and, lighter.

I have a Taurus Ultra Lite revolver which is why I looked at the Slim. The trigger on the Ultra Lite is where I would like to get the trigger on my S&W 60 J frame. It is super smooth and light. I don't know if the Ultra Lite is supposed to describe the weight of the gun or the pull on the trigger. I am not dissappointed with the pull on the Slim.

Well I can't wait to see how it performs on the range. I hope I got one of the good ones.

I paid $369 for it at Gander Mtn. They matched the price of GATS where I normally buy my guns, but GATS is waiting for the blued Slims and Gander had them.

I jumped on the stainless wagon when stainless first came out, but, for concealed carry I think the darker finishes are less conspicuous.

Well I hope this helps anyone going through the same selection process I struggled with. I will post shooting results next week.
    Last edited by jsunsr; March 14th, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Paragraphs friend, paragraphs.

Show us some pics!

Is the 708 the .380 on the Slim frame? I haven't seen one yet (I've seen the 738). I have a 709 and I also like the trigger, finish and feel. Pics and range report when you get a chance. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

sorry bugdude I fat fingered. 709 slim. no such animal as 708 that I know of. I edited posting. Glad to hear you like your 709. I hope mine will be reliable enough for CCW.

OK TheOhioan, I edited my posting. Holy Toledo, you English teachers have bugged me all my life. small wonder, right?

Ironically, they are planning on releasing a 708 in 2010. It's a 380 on a Slim frame. Since they now have the TCP 738, I'm not sure why they would release a 380 on the Slim frame...but I thought maybe you had stumbled across an early release.

I carry my 709 with confidence. 800 flawless rounds. Search my threads ("709, target 10 yards") from yesterday in this topic. I posted a target of a 7 round mag from my 709, rapid fire, from 10 yards. This thing is very accurate.

My recommendations:
    1) Clean and lube before shooting. Remove packing grease in new gun.

2) 200 rounds of FMJ (not Winchester White Box) break-in.

3) Clean thoroughly every 200 rounds.

These aren't range guns, but concealed carry guns. Stout but manageable recoil. They are sensitive to limp wristing.

I like the trigger. I bring the initial take-up back and from there it is a short crisp and light SA trigger pull with a short reset. Squeeze it with the pad of the finger and not the joint or you will pull shots left. Hope this helps...hope you are as pleased with your 709 as I am mine. I'm elated. It's better than I could have hoped.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Ironically, they are planning on releasing a 708 in 2010. It's a 380 on a Slim frame.... ...I'm not sure why they would release a 380 on the Slim frame.
    I'm not sure either. I went to the GS this weekend and got a chance to hold the 738. It's a very nice weapon and not much larger than my Seecamp LWS380. The 738 is pretty "slim" as it is.

I was very impressed and the price was very good..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I almost bought one, and I don't even want a .380.

if you don't mind me asking, why not use Winchester White Box for the 200 FMJ rounds? i have blazer brass and WWB to shoot for my new 709 slim.

Quote Originally Posted by nalees View Post
    if you don't mind me asking, why not use Winchester White Box for the 200 FMJ rounds? i have blazer brass and WWB to shoot for my new 709 slim.
    They consistently do not feed and eject well. It's a common issue with other makes of small semi-auto 9mms as well. WWB are not made to strict tolerances and small sub-compact 9mms have no room for error. In the initial break-in, you don't want a lot of jams so you can get a good metal-to-metal sheen from friction on the feed ramp. When I bought mine, the gun shop owner recommended this process to me, I followed it, and it has worked to a T. I have since put about 100 rounds of WWB through it and it has cycled flawlessly.

I've read a lot of initial reports from 709 owners talking about FTF and FTE issues and I've asked them if they were using WWB and they surprisingly said, "Yes, how'd you know?" It's a common issue with pocket semis.

Hope you have better luck with yours than my wife had with hers. We ended up trading her in on a Bersa . Got a Lemon of a 709 ss that wouldn't function right at all

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats.......I have ran many rounds through my 709 without any problems. My dad bought one at the same time and his has been flawless also.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

WWB in 709

I have a 09 slim purchased new that has run 1000+ rounds of nothing but WWB 115gr FMJ. First 800 were all by my hand without a hitch. around 900 got one FTE but my buddy was shooting the gun and I suspect a limp wrist scenario because it ran another 150 that day without cleaning no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nalees View Post
    Just took my new Taurus Slim to the range and ran 200+ rounds through it including Fiocchi, Federal and about 60 WWB. Not a hiccup in the bunch. I went through a couple of clips as fast as I could pull the trigger and...no problems. So far so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links