Walther PPK/S, need help finding

This is a discussion on Walther PPK/S, need help finding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys, I need your assistance. I've set my sights on obtaining a Walther PPK/S for summer carry. The problem is, most of my local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK/S, need help finding

OK guys, I need your assistance. I've set my sights on obtaining a Walther PPK/S for summer carry. The problem is, most of my local places tend not to have them in stock. Ever. Do you guys know of any reputable sites where I could order one? I'm also not sure of the procedure for ordering a handgun online.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If you don't want to spend that kind of moneyFOR A 380 ACP buy a Russian Makarov for around $200 or a knockoff FEG FOR $125-$165. Just thought
    throw that out there for another opitionas money tight these days.

May I ask why the ppk?? I have one and carried it for a while but there are better and cheaper choices. I got my sig p238 for 509 bucks, has night sites and those sights are much better than a ppk. The diamond back 380 is another that caught my eye and you would save 150 bucks or more, shop I handled it at wanted 389 for it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    My advice, as someone who has owned 3 of the S&W PPK and PPK/s varianents, they are not reliable as a CCW choice. There are better choices available in .380.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    My advice, as someone who has owned 3 of the S&W PPK and PPK/s varianents, they are not reliable as a CCW choice. There are better choices available in .380.
    Define 'not reliable'. My S&W PPK has fired 1000+ rounds without a single failure. I absolutely consider it reliable enough to CC.

On the other hand, it is heavy compared to many other options, and the round count and caliber are pretty low. For those reasons I choose 9mm instead, but reliability is not an issue.

Perhaps mine is just a 'good one', or yours were lemons? Or maybe S&W improved the reliability?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member

Not reliable

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Define 'not reliable'. My S&W PPK has fired 1000+ rounds without a single failure. I absolutely consider it reliable enough to CC.

On the other hand, it is heavy compared to many other options, and the round count and caliber are pretty low. For those reasons I choose 9mm instead, but reliability is not an issue.

Perhaps mine is just a 'good one', or yours were lemons? Or maybe S&W improved the reliability?
    Not reliable as defined by Ctr.

The decocker on the first PPK broke within 100 rounds. Sent back to S&W for repair. When returned, decocker worked, but the PPK jammed frequently regardless of magazine/ammo combinations.

The next PPK jammed with double feeds regardless of magazine/ammo combinations. Purchased new magazines - same result.

The next one, a PPK/s was rendered totally and uterally unreliable by the S&W recall. That wonder polish the feed ramp job caused jams on each and every single magazine.

Now, every manufacturer can produce a lemon now and again. But three in a row? I don't think so. That is how I define unreliable.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Ah. I haven't yet sent mine in for the recall...instead I just do not use the decocker on a live round (in order to trigger an unsafe condition, you have to cock, engage the safety [with possible drop to half-cock], then disengage the safety again).

With repeated (unloaded) testing I have been able to replicate the recall issue with dropping to 'half cock' when the safety is engaged.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

PM Sent...
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Every once in a while I get a lust for a PPK too. Maybe it was the James Bond thing. I did see (today) there are a bunch on Gunbroker.com. It's easy to buy online. Check the feedback of the seller, buy new, wait until the last minute to bid, don't go over your predetermined limit, E-mail the seller if you buy it, pay with a Postal Money order, and he ships to your FFL. I've never had a problem. (they seem to be running $550 or so.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are three versions of the PPK. The first made in France with German roll markings, but banned from import in the 1968 gun ban.
    (too small or too light, thus the PPK/S) Then in 1982 they were manufactured in Alabama for Interarms. Finally, in 2000 S&W took over the production.
    I'm not sure which are the most reliable.
    They are steel, so there are lighter guns out there, and the style is so close to the Sig 232, But I'm with you.........they're cool.........
    "That's Bond, James Bond."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are three versions of the PPK. The first made in France with German roll markings, but banned from import in the 1968 gun ban.
    (too small or too light, thus the PPK/S) Then in 1982 they were manufactured in Alabama for Interarms. Finally, in 2000 S&W took over the production.
    Maybe not wrong, but incomplete. The PPK has been around a long time. First made in Germany in 1929 or so, and contiued up until the end of WWII. Shortly thereafter the Walther company resumed production through the French Manurhin company. This went on until about 1982.

* German made pre-war PPKs are the most valuable and expensive.
    * Manurhins are not as valued, but are the equal in quality.
    * Interarms are a mixed bag...some made in Europe and sold here, some manufactured here. The stamping will tell the story.
    * Then came S&W

Probably the best buy today is a Interarms model, but they will cost about what a new S&W runs.

Get a pre S&W PPK and you're good to go.

Have had the Interarms PPK for years and never any problems. I agree, they're a little on the heavy side, but accurate and dependable, at least mine is. I stopped carrying it for a long time only due to the slide bite the sucker gives off with larger hands. I've come up with a solution to the problem though, don't know what took me so long to come up with it either.

Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Don't get me wrong, when I got mine I thought it was the perfect ccw. The PPK fit my hand, had a certain feel to it, and it was comforting. That is why I found it so hard to give up. For a range gun, for fun, sure, you bet, but not to trust as a ccw.

Now the older PPK's, they are some really solid pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    For cheapo money, you could look at a Bersa thunder 380 ACP. About the same dimentions as a Walther, and they're very reliable too
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Honestly, I dislike the Bersas. It isn't because of reliability - it's just the design. It looks like a wannabe PPK made by Fisher Price.

I carry an Interarms PPK/S at times - definitely a reliable piece and scary accurate. But, that being said, I got a killer deal on it ($300 + tax) because the people who had it apparently had no clue what they were selling. If I was buying a pocket pistol again I would go for the Makarov. Does it seem to anyone else that it has fewer sharp edges than the PPK?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links