Still working on the Warthog

This is a discussion on Still working on the Warthog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a little while back about some feeding problems on my new Para Warthog and received a lot of excellent info. First I ordered ...

Thread: Still working on the Warthog

I posted a little while back about some feeding problems on my new Para Warthog and received a lot of excellent info. First I ordered some heavier Wolf magazine springs, which as was pointed out by someone, were a Pain to install. I also spoke to George at Para and despite a rotten attitude on my part, he gave me some good advice. I have given up on the +p rounds. The Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr. seems to work just fine, I will stick to that.

Also this weekend I noticed something. I was doing some shooting and put about 200 rds. through the Warthog without incident. Then for fun, I had brought along 3 Beretta mouse guns, two .25's and a .22, which I proceeded to blast away with. At the end of the session I decided to shoot the Warthog a last time and immediately had several ftf's. By the scond magazine I realized that I was limp wristing after shooting the lighter recoiling mouse guns. I just was not gripping the Warthog tightly enough. Made the correction, no more problem.

I am still working out the bugs, but it is looking pretty good. Thanks for everyones advice and help.

Assistant Administrator
    Glad you have made some progress.

I know some folks will aggressively deny that limp-writing is real - and is just an imagined phenomenon - seems you have proved otherwise and so have I - including watching students on NRA courses - it happens!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Hope it all gets worked out. I gave up on the micro 1911's w/o having 1.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Glad it is coming together.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by The Goose
    Also this weekend I noticed something. I was doing some shooting and put about 200 rds. through the Warthog without incident. Then for fun, I had brought along 3 Beretta mouse guns, two .25's and a .22, which I proceeded to blast away with. At the end of the session I decided to shoot the Warthog a last time and immediately had several ftf's. By the second magazine I realized that I was limp wristing after shooting the lighter recoiling mouse guns. I just was not gripping the Warthog tightly enough. Made the correction, no more problem.

I am still working out the bugs, but it is looking pretty good. Thanks for everyones advice and help.
    I do not think I ever read a post that someone actually admitted to limp wristing. I commend you sir. I think this post should be a sticky. Limp wristing does exist.

Well got 2 out of 3 completed. Learn not to limpwrist and yours will now work But in real time can you besure you wouldn't limpwrist
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

From another forum, the term, " Fighting Grip", comes to mind. I was shooting Fiocchi JHPs through my Seecamps, last range session, so I was in no danger of forgetting how to grip, but it bears repeating to oneself. Good post!

Edited by Bud White
    Ya got to Bleep it out then it probley doesnt belong

I exercised my Warthog today after work.
    All was fine two-hand. When I switched to weak hand, I got two FTF.
    I chocked it up to my weak hand grip. Strong hand was fine.
    This was with Federal H-S 185gr.
    All is still original; no spring changes.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

even the best will limp wrist sometimes.

Red face New Slim Hawg

I just got my Slim Hawg a week ago. I polished the feed ramp and cleaned it before I shot it for the first time. I shot 50 rounds of Brass Blazer FMJ and 50 rounds of PMC JHP and no FTE or FTF's. Great gun and very accurate.

Glad the problems seem to be working themselves out. As much as I'd like a Colt Defender (or ideally, an OACP), I've had rotten luck with sub-4" 1911s so I try my damnedest to resist the urge. The new Kahr P45 seems like a great little BUG ACP so I might very well pick one up as my next purchase.

Let us know how the Hawg performs, sounds like you're on the right track. With my ols SA UC HC I had to drop the recoil spring weight and run +P 185s to gain cycle time. It worked as far as functioning but it was extremely loud and I didn't like the idea of battering my gun to pieces.
    Jack

Sponsored Links