Oogled some guns at the gun store today

This is a discussion on Oogled some guns at the gun store today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my sister and I WERE going to take a 1st-timers' gun class today, but the place where we were signed up to take the ...

Thread: Oogled some guns at the gun store today

Oogled some guns at the gun store today

Well, my sister and I WERE going to take a 1st-timers' gun class today, but the place where we were signed up to take the class had cancelled the class and had NO record of us being signed up!

I was really mad.

So after we rescheduled to next month, we drove to a gun store on the other side of town that comes highly recommended. Really cool guy behind the counter didn't talk down to us just because we were female.

I totally embarrassed my sister by blurting out that we were there to fondle some guns. All of the guys in the store turned around and looked (and many laughed). my sister wanted to crawl under a rock. I had a diarrhea of the mouth moment. this is what she probably wanted to do to me-->

Anyway, we handled several different weapons. My favorites were:
    Sig Sauer P238
    Glock 17
    Ruger LCR (liked the way it felt a lot better than the S&W revolvers)
    Springfield Armory XD9

All of the others felt weird for one reason or another. Either they were too small for my hand or just a bit too large or my pinky finger would dangle and I wouldn't know what the heck to do with it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Excellent! That's a great way to get an idea of what works for you. The best part is that this step costs nothing.

It's really good to hear that they guy behind the counter treated you well.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Well, Buggsy, welcome, and sorry to hear about your experience with the training event that wasn't. Hope it wasn't at Caswell's in Mesa - they're pretty good.

On gun selection... puh-leeze don't choose a smallish weapon (the ones that leave your pinky dangling in mid-air) for a first gun! There is nothing harder to shoot well than a small handgun, even an all-steel snub-nose revolver like those S+W's you saw.

The compact and sub-compact Glocks, Springfield Armory XDs, Smith + Wesson M+Ps, and CZs are likely easier to shoot well than the Kel-Tecs and similar "mouse guns." Plus, they all use at least a 9mm round or something more powerful. The .380 is a significant step down from the 9mm in stopping power, but it's on a par with the venerable .38 Special.

All the guns you fondled are all quality pieces; the Sig 238 probably has the most complex "manual of arms" because it is a single-action autoloader which is best carried cocked (hammer back) and locked (manual safety on). That's a little unnerving to some folks.

Let me suggest the Kahr P9/CW9 at a lightweight, compact 9mm gun which has minimal recoil in spite of its light weight, as one more gun to check out. There had been some reliability issues but those apparently have been resolved... my 3-year-old CW9 is lightweight, compact and accurate.

Good luck with your shopping, and please post back with your progress!

PS - as a part-time spelling/usage/grammar Nazi, the word is "ogled" - pronounced with a long "O".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I regularly go to my local gun stores to ogle and fondle all the guns as well. Welcome to the beautiful world of firearms.

CW9

+1 on the CW9! With any Kahr polymer frame add the Hogue slip on grip. My CW9 grip is textured very rough and this add on makes a big difference shooting this great pistol. Hogue Handall Jr.

Let me edit and add that there may be nothing worse than a new convert when it comes to pistols. I have shot and owned many pistols and felt this way about my XDs and later thought the Browning Hi-Power was never to be beat. I still have a high regard these pistols. I have reached a point where I needed a thin light compact pistol for carry. I think the CW9 is it for me. You have to find one that suits you. That will change over time. I also doubt that one pistol will serve all of your carry needs.

-- Richard
    Last edited by RKirk; March 15th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Try handling a Glock 26. Much easier to conceal, and decent caliber and capacity ratio. You liked the 17 you should like the 26. If you can conceal a mid sized pistol...try the 19. Even better balance in weight size and capacity. Congrats on starting the journey. Stick around here and youll learn lots.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My Glock 26 with the mag extension is the most comfortable shooting semi I have shot so far. That being said, it's a lot bigger and harder to conceal than a P3AT. While the Kel-Tec is not at all fun to shoot, it's gone bang every time I pull the trigger and conceals better than any.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My girlfriend and I love my Sub-compact Springfield XD 9mm. I think we're almost at 2,000 rounds through it without a single misfire/jam/issue.

smitty - I hear what you're sayin.' Definitely don't want to buy a gun w/a short grip because I'll always be messing around w/what the heck to do with my ring & pinky fingers. Really annoying and I don't want to be screwing something up in the midst of a high stress life-or-death situation.

I was a little surprised that I liked some of the larger handguns.

Thanks for the tip about Glock 26...didn't pick up that one or get a feel for it, but I will next time I go to the gun shop.

One of the Kahr's caught my eye, but I don't remember which 9mm it was.

The place where the class-that-wasn't was supposed to be was Marksman Pistol Institute in Tucson. We're going 4/10 instead.

My sister thinks that I'm a little crazy for considering CC'ing on a daily basis regardless of where I'm going. But she lives in liberal sheep-land in a city where you have to have your handgun locked & unloaded with a locking mechanism through it or in a safe at all times. She doesn't quite understand where I'm coming form.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buggysmama View Post
    Well, my sister and I WERE going to take a 1st-timers' gun class today, but the place where we were signed up to take the class had cancelled the class and had NO record of us being signed up! I was really mad.
    So after we rescheduled to next month, we drove to a gun store on the other side of town that comes highly recommended. Really cool guy behind the counter didn't talk down to us just because we were female.

I totally embarrassed my sister by blurting out that we were there to fondle some guns. All of the guys in the store turned around and looked (and many laughed). my sister wanted to crawl under a rock.
    Classic thread tagged.......

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by buggysmama View Post
    The place where the class-that-wasn't was supposed to be was Marksman Pistol Institute in Tucson. We're going 4/10 instead.

My sister thinks that I'm a little crazy for considering CC'ing on a daily basis regardless of where I'm going. But she lives in liberal sheep-land in a city where you have to have your handgun locked & unloaded with a locking mechanism through it or in a safe at all times. She doesn't quite understand where I'm coming form.
    Buggsy, I like your firm mind-set. You're not crazy; sis is just dealing with a different paradigm. Stay the course.

BTW, law enforcement in your fair city does not generally favor legally armed citizens... no idea why, but Tucson seems to be an island of liberal thought in our generally conservative-leaning state. Not that this will be a problem for you; I've carried daily for 7 years and never had to explain it to a cop. Just passing along some info volunteered by some Pima County LEOs I trained with.

Do post back with your progress in making a decision, and any questions!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome to the club! I would suggest renting a few different guns at your local gun range to try them out before making a purchase decision. "Fondling" one in a GS is one thing but shooting it will tell you if it's right for you or not. Just my .02 Good luck.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Links