RIA 1911 C vs G 23

RIA 1911 C vs G 23

This is a discussion on RIA 1911 C vs G 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, I must have some sort of disease because I can't seem to be satisfied one gun for very long. I am currently using a ...

RIA 1911 C vs G 23

Alright, I must have some sort of disease because I can't seem to be satisfied one gun for very long.

I am currently using a Rock Island Armory 1911 compact as my EDC. I can shoot it pretty well. (about 85-90% center mass shots @ 21 feet-static). It's very comfortable to carry. However, it only holds 7 in the mag and 1 in the pipe.

I am now looking at a Glock 23. (yes I know that it is not a 45. I'm in the process of buying a M&P 45-but that won't be my EDC). I'm contemplating the 23 because of some range time that I had with my little bro's G23. I was on the mark 100%. Static and dynamic. Not much difference in size. I can get another CBH Super Tuk for that. Holds more ammo. In fact I can shoot 180 gr out of that just as I can with a 45.

My thought is that I would rather be accurate 100% with 2 shots than miss with one.

What do you think.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't see anything wrong with your theory. The .40 is a pretty powerful round and if you can pack a few more rounds in the same size package, why not? Like you said, one small round on target is a lot better than 2-3 big ones that missed.

The G23 is a great pistol and also allows conversion to 9mm and .357 Sig if you want to increase your ammo inventory.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No brainer you are on target with the glock. I bet you will get 100% center mass at 25 yds with that ...definately better than 80% at 21 ft... 21 ft is 7yds, IMHO you should have around 1-2" groups static fire and all high center mass dynamic, anything less is life threatening to you...smart decision to buy a new firearm that will hit what you point at and a 185 gr 40 is also nothing to laugh at..good choice all around
    Led By Love Of Country

Sure, carry the one you're most proficient with. Remember, you're only half as good as you train, so use the equipment that gets you the best results
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Nothing against the RIA, but mine isn't nearly as comfy to carry as my G23. I think it is a great gun for the money though.

I come from the school of thought that I don't want manual safeties on my carry guns either. I just want a simple point and shoot gun.

LOVE the 23...and you will too.

Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic View Post
    Alright, I must have some sort of disease because I can't seem to be satisfied one gun for very long.

I am currently using a Rock Island Armory 1911 compact as my EDC. I can shoot it pretty well. (about 85-90% center mass shots @ 21 feet-static). It's very comfortable to carry. However, it only holds 7 in the mag and 1 in the pipe.
    I'd worry more about only getting 85-90% on a center of mass target at 21 feet before I'd worry about raising capacity.

I've owned both. I like the G23 better.

Having more rounds is a good thing, and there's nothing wrong with a .40. Also, the lighter weight of the G23 is a good thing for all day carry.

As much as I liked the RIA, I found the G23 to be more reliable at the range, and that counts more than anything.

glock23.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

As in a wife. It is your choice. Go for it.
    Keep your powder dry

Links