Walther PPS vs. Kahr CW40

This is a discussion on Walther PPS vs. Kahr CW40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I lay my money on the counter, I thought I would ask for any feedback on these two models - pros or cons. My ...

Thread: Walther PPS vs. Kahr CW40

Before I lay my money on the counter, I thought I would ask for any feedback on these two models - pros or cons.

My reasons for these two include single stack mags, reliability, availaility, both .40 S&W, almost identical in size. The Walther is more $$$, but already owning a P99 has me leaning that direction right now.

Alright. Let me have it ..............

I have PM9 and a PPS 40.....both great, I love the PPS for its ability to handle 40 like a bigger gun, very managebale with recoil compared to other 40 cals and I like the mag release using my trigger finger....so for me, the PPS is the choice.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have the PPS is both calibers and it is my favorite full strength carry pistol. I tend to carry the 9mm more because it was purchased first but both are mechanically perfect and shoot great. I also like the additional round of the 9mm with the mid-sized mag.

I too have a PPS and I love it. The accuracy is better than alot of full sized guns. I also like the mag release, it's pretty intuitive. The recoil is also very acceptable for such a small gun. Not here to say anything bad about the Kahr, bit I cant say enough good things about the PPS.

I have a PPS 40, very pleased with it.

Next time you go to your local shop to handle the two guns, try taking your right (or left) handed index finger and release the PPS mag (instead of using your thumb to engage the mag release) If you have meaty palms, you'll find the heal of the PPS mag catches on your bottom of your palm (it does for me and most other people) this might make for a problem, should you need to do a mag change. the kahr is a little better to initiate a clean mag release. The PPS is a really nice peice, as is the Kahr, but with either gun, based on quality, you can't come up on the short end. Go with what fits your hands best.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Without any doubt, go PPS. Be careful of paid "bloggers" supporting other firearms.

I had a cw40 and got rid of it, too many issues. I really belive that 40sw caliber is too much for that frame.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Thanks for the responses. That just about seals the deal for the PPS. My next question is where I can find a new one for te best price, or a good used one? The best price I've been able to come up with is $550 on GunBroker.com

$550 is a pretty good price. Here in Las Vegas the range anywhere from $540-$725. That's a pretty big swing. As I mentioned before I truly enjoy shooting my pps. The only draw back currently are the mags. They are not being manufactured by the aftermarket yet so the are pretty spendy. Your looking at about $50-$60 a pop depending on where you find them.

Sponsored Links