Picking a new CCW pistol (The plot thickens)

This is a discussion on Picking a new CCW pistol (The plot thickens) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright so here I am sitting in Afghanistan (not really doing anything because this war sucks now). I've been sitting here for the past few ...

Thread: Picking a new CCW pistol (The plot thickens)

Distinguished Member

Picking a new CCW pistol (The plot thickens)

Alright so here I am sitting in Afghanistan (not really doing anything because this war sucks now). I've been sitting here for the past few weeks shopping for a new CCW weapon. I currently have a Glock 23 which I love, but when I want something smaller to carry during the summer months in NC and FL. I've come full circle on what I wanted. Started with a SA XD sub, to a Glock 27 to go with my other glock. I thought about a Kahr, S&W, Kimber, SA EMP (way to expensive), and a hand full of revolvers and SIG. Then I get an e-mail response to my request from SIG for the LEO / military discount form, and there it was. They offer the P250 with night sights for $439 through this program. Then after further investigation I see a SIG P250 twosum a fullsize and a sub compact with night sights for $722 with 2 mags each. I was gunna go with the G26/27 due to the fact that I already own one, and the grip and everything else should be very close to the same so I shouldn't have to adjust to much to a different grip or setup. Does anyone have any experence with the P250, I know it is a farly new gun, but then again it is a SIG. I imagine a guy trying to pick that perfect pistol is like a woman trying to pick out the perfect purse or shoes. The accessories for the P250 are pretty good as well. It looks I can convert from 9mm all the way up to 45ACP without much problem and it's not that expensive either. The conversion kit is only &180 with 2 mags. This is just so damn frustrating.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Do yourself a favor, invest a few dollars, buy and read "Guns, Bullets and Gunfights" by Jim Cirillo.

Then make you decision....

I have a p250 and love it. Understand that it is a DAO trigger - similar to a revolver. Caliber X-change kits are out of stock everywhere, even on SIG's website.

The p250 has a looooonnnnnnggggg trigger. It is typical Sig quality and accuracy, but I hate the trigger. Stick with what you know and get the 27 so you can share high cap mags with the 23.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The p250 has a looooonnnnnnggggg trigger. It is typical Sig quality and accuracy, but I hate the trigger. Stick with what you know and get the 27 so you can share high cap mags with the 23.
    Your second line says all that needs to be said, "Sig quality and accuracy".

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a 250 that I recently bought. I put 200 rds. through it in the first range session without a single malfunction of any kind. However, you said you wanted something smaller than the G23 for summer carry, and the 250 compact is actually the same size. The sub-compact are hard to find right now.

As for the conversion kits, I don't know where you saw them for $180, I wish I could find them for that price. The one place I saw them in stock had them priced at $325, and the price from Sig directly is $379.

I can highly recommend the new Ruger SR9 compact. The gun eats all ammo I've fed to it and is very slim, light, and reliable. Right now it's only available in 9mm, and sells for around $400. It comes with a 10 round mag, and a 17 rd. sleeved mag.

Here it is compared to my Kahr CW9:

Stay safe in Afghanistan, and God bless you for your service to this country!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Hi, I'm the SFC (RET) giving the intensive handgun class at Ft. Huachuca and I met with JAG today so this can be a recurring class.
    Several of my students who happen to have b een Navy Corpsman assigned to the USMC and several others who did tours in Iraq (incuding my son B-1-505) have chosen Sigs as their CCW pieces.
    Most have gone with the Sig 250 in 9mm, a couple with the 229 DAK. Bith are very concealable in an IWB holster.
    If you have access to Combat Handguns Magazine Mas Ayoob has the 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry and one of them is basically bring enough gun. I found this out when I stopped a robbery a number of years ago and I used a Sig 229. One look at that wonderful tool is that the Perp dropped his knife when I pointed it at him with every intention of blowing his head off.
    The Sig 229 is one of my standard carry firearms.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you've chosen the Sig already, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The MIL/LEO price of the Glock W/O night sights would be @$398, so that sounds like a good deal. I don't know much about caliber conversion with the Sigs. Is it a "drop in barrel and go"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    You said you already love the G 23. Then you'll REALLY love the 27. As others have already pointed out the 23 mags will work in the 27 and you already have one of the best CCW handguns you can get, why not just get it in a smaller package, G 27.
    Proud NRA member

I have a P250 compact in 9mm. If you like the trigger, the Sig P250 is a fine pistol. It is not smaller than a G23 however & therefore doesn't sound like it would meet your criteria.

A Glock 27 seems like the best, most logical choice for ya.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Links