Ruger LCP Range Report

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Ruger LCP with a Satin Chrome slide about a month ago. The chrome finish on the LCP was nicer than on the ...

Thread: Ruger LCP Range Report

Ruger LCP Range Report

I bought a Ruger LCP with a Satin Chrome slide about a month ago. The chrome finish on the LCP was nicer than on the Kel-Tec 32 that I traded in for the LCP. The build quality and finish is a little nicer, but it's not as nice as the Kahr P380 that I also have.

I have had 3 range sessions with it since .380ACP isn't as plentiful as I'd like. My first range session was with 100 rounds of Winchester FMJ. I clean all my guns and lube them before shooting them for the first time. I had one FTF on the 3rd round. I cleared it and shot the rest without any issues. The trigger pull is VERY long and not as smooth as I'd like, again in comparison to the Kahr. Definitely usable. The sights are not great at all.

My second range session was with my wife. I also installed a Crimson Trace LG-431. Shot another 100 rounds of Winchester FMJ. Not a single issue. I did have a problem with the LG-431. No matter how I adjusted it, the LCP shot low and to the left about 6". I contacted Crimson Trace and they sent a replacement out right away. My wife really wanted the LCP, but she couldn't hit paper with it at all. She hated the recoil and trigger pull.

My third session was last Friday... and yielded some very surprising results. I rented a Ruger LCR to see if my wife would like that any better. She was actually worse with the revolver. So I decided to sight in the LCP with the replacement Crimson Trace. She shot the LCP again and loved it. With the laser sighted in, she was hitting 5 out of 6 shots in the black. The recoil from the LCR must have made the LCP seem pleasant. I shot 100 rounds of Remington FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot. All perfect. Attached is my wife's 25' grouping with Speer. From love to hate in about 2 weeks.

So she now has a replacement for the Seecamp 32 that she carries. I'm once again reminded that I won't ever figure women out. She also can't wait to hit the range again. Time to look for some more .380ACP.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nice going. I think she will like it! Everyone needs a snubby!

Forgot to mention. I installed a Wolff 12lb. recoil spring before I even took the LCP to the range. After reading all of the posts on the Elsiepea forum, I decided this was the best way to go to ensure reliability. I originally replaced the recoil spring in the Kel-Tec 32 and really liked the way it handled.

Links