Ruger SP101 1st 100 rounds

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 1st 100 rounds within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got a chance to shoot the Ruger SP101 2" bbl I traded the rifle for Friday. I put 50 rounds of 158 grain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 1st 100 rounds

Ruger SP101 1st 100 rounds

I finally got a chance to shoot the Ruger SP101 2" bbl I traded the rifle for Friday. I put 50 rounds of 158 grain JSP .357 Magnum through it and 50 rounds of 158 grain lead round nose .38 Special through it. With the 357 rounds, man this thing packs a wallup (compared to my 4" Police Service Six .357 and my 442 shooting 38+P). The 38s were very tame in this snubbie. It took a few cylinders to get used to it, but the more I shot it the more I liked it. By the end of the day, the kick didn't seem too bad at all.

Initially, I was pulling everything left about five to six inches. Not low, just left (from 11 yards). After a number of cylinders and switching back and forth between 38 and 357, I finally got on target with it and began to hit the 3" circle regularly with the 357s. This is an amazing little hand cannon. I've always loved the .357 round, and this snubbie pulls it off well. The difference shooting the two rounds is quite considerable.

All in all, I love this wheel gun. I carried it IWB today and it carries better IWB than any other gun I've got. It just disappears comfortably. I finally got on target with it and feel confident shooting it. I'll keep practicing with my new snub and I'm sure with each range trip I'll be loving it more and more. This could easily become the most carried handgun of my collection.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the SP101 Bugdude. I have the 3" version. Came with a really tough 14# spring in it. My wife couldn't even pull the trigger all the way through DA. So I ordered and installed a 10# spring. She can pull it all the way through now. I also changed out the factory grips and put on a Hogue monogrip. Feels a lot nicer now. Just have to go shoot it. Might do that today.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

good gun. hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Excellent gun. My wife just bought one too. .38's are a breeze and the .357 does have some good boom. I have to say after shooting about 50 rounds through hers I found myself wanting one too. Enjoy!

I have the 3" version as well...unfortunately only able to put about 100 rds through it so far, and only .38 spec and .39 spec +p. Can't wait to give a few .357's a try. I carry mine as often as possible

Great Gun ; ) Big Dude I love my 4in S/Six
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Great Gun ; ) Big Dude I love my 4in S/Six
    H/D
    I've had a Ruger Police Service Six 4" bbl .357 Mag for 13 years and love it. The recoil is much more in the snub, but I figured it would be. I love the .357 round and now have an easily carryable version.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've had a pair of SP-101's for over 20 years. A couple of my favorite guns for sure. Well, actually one is the wife's but I still get to shoot it from time to time.

Glad you are loving your new snubby!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ruger sp101

Bought one for my wife last week, She loves it. Don't think she would like to shoot 100 rounds of 357 out of it. 38's are much easier tamer.

sp101

Glad to hear how much you like your new gun. I've had my sp101 for 15 years, it's a great CC gun. My wife likes to shoot it too.

Being considering the SP101 for a while, maybe when I get the coins I will get one for myself if the wife does not take it away from me.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I love my SP101.

What grips are you using on yours? The rubber Hogues are very nice and they really cut down the recoil with full power 357 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Congratulations! I have been using a customized* 2.25" SP101 since 1997, and more have joined it. From early 2002 to late 2007, I normally toted two of them when not in a police uniform, and one as a hidden "back-up" in uniform, making the SP101 a true 24/7 gun. While I normally tote a SIG P229 concealed nowadays, I can certainly see a return to the SP101 as my 24/7 carry guns after I retire.

Bullets impacting to the left, with a new compact gun, are not unusual for a right-handed shooter. A guy (or gal) has to learn optimal placement of the trigger finger with any new weapon, and small guns in particular. My finger placement with an SP101 is far different than with my other handguns.

With retirement looming, I recently purchased a 3.06" SP101, and installed a spurless hammer that I had been saving for this occasion for several years. Luckily, the resulting pull, after a LOT of dry-firing, is quite nice, almost as smooth as my customized SP101s, if not nearly as light. (FWIW, I got the spurless hammer, a take-out part, through evilbay, when that entity still allowed such parts to be listed.) BTW, my avatar, to the left, is a GP100, not an SP101.

*Jack Weigand customized two of my SP101 snubbies. He is out of the custom 'smithing business, making excellent scope mounts now. Marc Morganti, of Gemini Customs, is now carrying the torch as the premier customizer of the SP101, including the Hybra-porting originally done by Jack Weigand. (My snubbies were not ported.)
    Last edited by Rexster; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fixed a chopped-off sentence

I don't own a wheel gun but if I did it would be a SP101
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

One of the next ones on my list as well, great guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links