S&W Sigma 9mm and .40

S&W Sigma 9mm and .40

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma 9mm and .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They've got the $50 mail in rebate going on until 4/30. I'm thinking about getting one. Any thoughts on which caliber I should get? Also, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S&W Sigma 9mm and .40

They've got the $50 mail in rebate going on until 4/30. I'm thinking about getting one. Any thoughts on which caliber I should get? Also, this will be my first pistol. Is this a good choice? My budget is really limited...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    This usually doesn't end well.

I would recommend the 9mm.

Reasons:
    1) Ammo is cheaper. (Although I've heard the gap between the two is getting smaller and smaller.) Both ammunition seems to be plentiful compared to other calibers. Cheaper ammo = more practice.

2) More rounds per magazine.

3) Less recoil. .40 calibers seem to be more snappy. This is all user dependent though. I can do follow up shots quicker with a 9mm, but that is me.

Shot placement is key. A .380acp to the chest is going to be more effective than a .50AE that misses completely. Anything you shoot someone with is going to hurt. I've yet to hear a story of a BG who is ok with being shot with a smaller caliber round.

You'll hear a lot of guys tell you that bigger is so much better, and that it's extremely important. And while I won't deny a .45 ACP will do more damage than a 9mm, I think they will both get the job done. It's like deciding to buy a 4 cylinder car or a 6 cylinder car. They will both get you to where you want to go just fine. A car with more horsepower might do it a little quicker, but they'll both get the job done.

As for the Sigma series, I've yet to read any serious complaints against it. I think the only issue I can recall hearing about is the trigger spring, but S&W will mail you a lighter spring. I know there was a lot of Sigma bashing when it came out, but I rarely read "fail reports" like a lot of other, better known, brands.

Thumbs up

This is a great first pistol! It was my first and I loved it. I eventually upgraded to a springfield xd9sc when the money was available. I chose the 9mm because ammo was cheaper. The gap seems to be narrowing but I would still lean towards the 9mm version.

The Only real negative to the sigma is it's trigger pull, it is pretty long and gritty. That said, I have shot probably 1,500 rounds through mine without a single error. If you can, get the 16rnd version.

Cleaning the sigma takes all of 5 minutes because it field strips as easily as a glock.

You fan improve the trigger if you want, through polishing and spring changes, but I would leave it alone.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Administrator
    Buy the 9mm. 40 is a great choice, but 9mm is far better for a new shooter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Buy the 9mm. 40 is a great choice, but 9mm is far better for a new shooter.
    I have the Sigma 9mm, and am very pleased with it.
    I have a Walther PPS 40 that I bought before the Sigma, it is a fine gun but is a bit snappy.
    The 40 ammo. seems plenty plentiful but is about 25% higher than the 9mm.

I would say go with the 9mm as well for the reasons already stated. Easier to shoot, cheaper, more ammo capacity.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

GM
    I should go with the 9mm. But that is me, because I really like the caliber.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have the sigma 40 and absolutely love it. The recoil is not bad at all and it is a dream to shoot. The trigger pull takes some getting used to but it is not a problem at all. There is very little difference in amo cost now and I like a bit more power to get the job done. You can't go wrong with this firearm. Enjoy.

You shouldn't buy a Sigma.... It's a piece of crap. I had one, owned it for 2 months...it spent two weeks back at the warranty center because of faulty extractors and a mis mounted front sight (it was shooting low a MF)

As soon as it came back I immediately delivered it to a person for purchase.

Go on the smith and wesson forums and read the endless amount of people complaining about their faulty Sigmas and limited aftermarket accessories.
    Last edited by Bumper; March 17th, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Edited out language

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The S&W sigma is a wonderful entry level pistol that is a very good value. As far as caliber... its really up to you.

You really couldn't go wrong either way.

P.S. I HAVE owned a sigma. SW9VE the trigger was heavy but it shot well. In fact its what I used for my CCW class. the sigma never let me down.
    Last edited by razor02097; March 17th, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added P.S.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I’d go 9mm.

Unlike many Sigma bashers, I had a SW9VE for several years. I shot roughly 7-8k through it (I’d have to check my log) and never had a malfunction of any kind.

The only complaint I had (as most do) is that the trigger is heavy and generally gritty. It gets better with use, but not great.

For a new gun in the $300 range I don’t think it can be beaten.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    You shouldn't buy a Sigma.... It's a piece of crap. I had one, owned it for 2 months...it spent two weeks back at the warranty center because of faulty extractors and a mis mounted front sight (it was shooting low a MF)

As soon as it came back I immediately delivered it to a person for purchase.

Go on the smith and wesson forums and read the endless amount of people bitching about their faulty ----mas and limited aftermarket accessories.
    your gun had more then 1 extractor?! You must have had a freak factory gun huh?

The front sight has 2 modes on the sigmas (similar to Glock). Installed and removed. It can not be "set" or "off"

Sounds like typical "bashing"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

good gun and will get the job done. as for which one, that is up to you. either cal will get the job done.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Most complaints on this gun are preference based. They have to do with "how" it shoots not "if" it shoots". They are simple, reliable, no-frills guns with a great price point.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Shoots every well and I put tons of rounds down the pipe. The recoil is smooth even with my carry +p+. I have the 9mm because I hate .40s.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links