First Range Trip with New P238

This is a discussion on First Range Trip with New P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got my Sig P238 the other day and couldn't wait to get it out and run some rounds through it. I brought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Range Trip with New P238

First Range Trip with New P238

Well I finally got my Sig P238 the other day and couldn't wait to get it out and run some rounds through it. I brought along an assortment of ammo: Aguila JHP's, Glaser PowrBall, aluminum cased Blazer FMJ, PMC FMJ, and WWB FMJ. The good news is that everything fed, fired and ejected properly. No malfunctions. As a side note, the PowrBall was lighter (70gr I think) and it was clearly snappier than the rest of the 90-95gr. stuff.

Given the small size of the gun and my preferred grip, I was constantly leaving my thumb on the slide stop, so I had several cases of the slide not locking back. When I made it a point no to touch the slide stop it was fine.

Recoil was minimal, I took along my Indian Arms P380 (read Walther PPK) and it recoiled far more than the P238.

I love the sights on this thing. The big night sights made it easy to shoot accurately. A lot of people have commented on the accuracy of this gun and I am going to have to agree. I shot mainly at 7-8 yards and the worst groups I had were about 5" with the exception of a few fliers. The SA trigger helped a lot too, I like the fact that it is a little heavier for CCW purposes. And the thumb safety does engage very positively, I highly doubt it will ever move on accident.

Mine has a small burr on the feed ramp from the factory, I have heard others mention this as well. It did not affect feeding though, since it is very low and on the right side of the ramp. I'm planning to just leave it as is unless it creates problems, but none so far.

She's a keeper. I plan on carrying in an IWB from High Noon, I got the "Bare Asset" and it works really well. I have a PA non-resident permit now and carry in MO and I am relocating to the free state of AR at the end of this month, so she will see plenty of use in the future.

If you are hung up about the mixed reviews of this gun, I would like to steer you towards buying one. I was a bit skeptical, but a very positive 1st range trip made me feel really good about it. The case says my gun was manufacuted in early February of 2010.

I hope this was at least somewhat informational for somebody on the fence about the Sig P238.

2. Remove Ads

Awesome!

I shot a buddies a couple of weeks ago and found it to be the most accurate, smoothest shooting pistol I've ever fired. I'm a tightwad so I don't buy targets usually, just make them with paper plates and draw a golf ball sized circle w/a magic marker. At 21' I empied the gun rapid fire, put 4 in the black and the other 3 were in the plate. For me, that's good.

ntg
    I got my hands on one on Monday...boy I'd like to shoot one. Thanks for the report.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    I got my hands on one on Monday...boy I'd like to shoot one. Thanks for the report.
    I was very impressed. I think most people would be, considering the size of the gun.

GM
    Glad that you enjoyed it. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Great report thanks..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Want one.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Thumbs up sig 238

I have one also. I love it. Accurate, good sights, trouble free. I gave the wife the Ruger LCP and took over the Sig. It goes with me everywhere using either pocket carry or the crossbreed mini tuck.

USAFVET go Air Force!

Yeah Love my P238. Hides very well IWB and small and light enough for pocket carry. Best part, it's single action. No long pull, no heavy pull, no long reset just squeeze lightly and bang.

I got night sites on mine and I can't imagine why I bought guns without night sites before. I'm buying them for every gun I own. Even at the range the front site pops right up. I have Mepro and Tritium and can't really tell much diff.

Glad to hear yours is working fine.

Mine won't. Back at Sig third time. This time they've had it all this Month of March... no word...

Super item though, sweet sights, positive safety, don't worry about the ding on the feed ramp, and you will find the trigger will get smoother and lighter over time. Very nice gun indeed.

I am hoping the QC has really improved, though my was post recall - late Sept '09, have not seen near the complaints in the past couple of months - basically all positives.

Mine has been perfect. I always say it is the perfect gun for a lady. (If she understands the S/A)
    Light recoil, easy slide to rack, compact design, accurate, reliable.
    I'm a big guy, and I like all these features too.
    I need a pocket holster that covers the safety. The Desantis Nemisis isn't it.

Thanks for the report!

Yeah, this was my first gun with night sights and I remember looking at it in the dark the other night and thinking "Why have I never gotten night sights before?"
    Glowing sights are the coolest thing ever, I was really impressed with how easy they were to use during daytime. I was originally concerned that the vials looked a little "hazy and undefined" in the light, but I had no problems whatsoever.

Tritium is yummy.

From Sig's website. Not to be a _buster, but:
    "If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. "

that's old news ned

I tried to make my P238 fail as they described in the recall and couldn't. (I'm not in the serial number range anyway.) My safety is sharp and crisp. No problems with mine!

The only change I'm going to make is a heavier recoil spring. I read somewhere about a 12# that's supposed to work well with Buffalo Bore loads. I stoke my 380's with their stuff. The numbers are phenomenol for a 380.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links