Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version

This is a discussion on Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a Beretta 92FS. My question is: which is preferrable the Italian-made or the American-made version? Of course, I like the idea of ...

Thread: Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version

Beretta 92FS - Italian vs. American Version

I am considering a Beretta 92FS. My question is: which is preferrable the Italian-made or the American-made version? Of course, I like the idea of buying the American-made version. However, is one more reliable than the other? It seems that the Italian version has a plastic guide rod, whereas the American-made version has a steel guide rod. Are there any other distinguishing features? Is one more reliable than the other?Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by John K; March 17th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I had the 92FS american model. Great gun, just too big for conceal and carry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Italian one can be lubed with speggetti sauce? I never knew there was a difference.

It's big for concealed, but a good HD weapon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I recently traded my American 92FS that I carried for many years. I'm sorry I can't compare the Italiano to the American. Mine was totally reliable and accurate as all heck. I'm sure either will serve you well.

Good luck.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

No real difference - the American version also has a polymer guiderod. Beretta switched to this several years ago - I think in 2003.

The American factory is keeping up with the recent military orders. SO, most of what you will find now are all Italian made ones for the most part. They are sending them in to pick up the slack.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have a 92SB compact. It's still too big to carry...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

From what I've read, the two are functionally the same. As far as I know, there are only two things different between the two. First, the roll marks on the Italian ones are supposed to be nicer/deeper than the American ones. I saw a picture (unfortunately, didn't save the link) and the American roll mark/stamp was crooked and by the end of the line, you could hardly make out what it read. That was probably a single instance, but what I remember. The other thing I noticed/read is that Beretta in the States went to some blued parts on their INOX version of the 92. I ordered (picking up tomorrow) an Italian 92FS INOX just to make sure it was all stainless. The reason for switching to blued parts was to save in cost, but as mentioned, the Italian ones stayed true.

I have two Italians. I owned one American and sold it ASAP. Tooling marks everywhere. Although functional, not Italian craftsmanship. If you don't care about perfection, then buy the American.

I had a beretta 380 single stack made in Italy. I've regretted selling that gun more than most.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Mine is the Italian version...it is a safe queen that I take to let people who have never shot a 9 shoot, then the Glock, but the 92 is easy on recoil.....from what I saw when I was looking the fit and finish was a "bit" better on the imports, but not noticeable.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by sysmgr View Post
    I have two Italians. I owned one American and sold it ASAP. Tooling marks everywhere. Although functional, not Italian craftsmanship. If you don't care about perfection, then buy the American.
    This probably sums up everything I've read regarding Italian versus American Berettas. From what I've read, the comparison between import and American craftsmanship/attention-to-detail carries over to other manufacturers as well such as Sig.

Links