CZ-82 Range Report ( I think I've found my new mistress!)

This is a discussion on CZ-82 Range Report ( I think I've found my new mistress!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got around to firing my recently acquired surplus CZ-82. The indoor range only had Brown Bear FMJ, which wouldn't have been my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ-82 Range Report ( I think I've found my new mistress!)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs up CZ-82 Range Report ( I think I've found my new mistress!)

I finally got around to firing my recently acquired surplus CZ-82.

The indoor range only had Brown Bear FMJ, which wouldn't have been my first choice, but you gotta go with what they've got.

While loading the 12-round mags isn't near as difficult as some make it out to be, a speed loader would make it easier, considering the little cartridges.

First mag: ten single-action shots, all a bit low, which I've heard is a tendency of this gun. The gun cycled and fired flawlessly. The SA trigger is very smooth and resetes well. Compared to my Glock 30, ot's smmother but the reset is a bit longer--but no problem. it's basically just different.

Having never fired a handgun round less than ,357 Mag, .45 ACP and .41 Mag, I found the 9x18 Makarov very pleasant to shoot. It has quite a pop to it, but the all-steel frame makes it very manageable. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for SD with a good SD round.

Second mag: Ten more rounds; all low again, but a nice group. In fact, it's shooting better than my G30 (Sorry, Glock). I'm no deadeye with a handgun, but this pistol has great potential.

Third mag: Still shooting SA, I had what I first thought was a misfire. Then I realized the hammer had not locked back. I could have limp-wristed it, but I suspect one of the Brown Bear rounds may not have had enough oomph to lock the hammer back. So one DA pull of the trigger and Bang! Nice to have that option. All the rest cycled and fired without a hitch.

Fourth Mag: Still low, no hiccups. Obviously I'll have to do a sight adjustment in the future.

Finished up with 2 5-rd rapid fires with both mags at @ ten feet. No problems and (for me) a respectable group.

I would have liked to put more rounds through it, but my mission of finding out if the gun was mechanically sound was complete. Besides, it was the last box of 9mm Mak.

In a nutshell, I'm more than pleased with my $169 surplus Commie Gun. The mag release needs a bit of work but other than that it's great. The trigger is smoother than most pistols I pick up, so no concerns there.

Anyone who's looking for a project gun as I was, this may be the ticket.

Next I'm ging to disassemble it, strip it, and DuraCoat it. I'm torn between S/S slide and frame with matte black sights, and controls; or all matte black.

Anyone who has used DuraCoat, I'd appreciate a PM with some tips on prep, etc. and any "gotchas" to look out for.

Will post pics once the refurb is done.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I have a CZ-82 commie gun, nothing wong with the Brown Bear, these guns were made to shoot cheap ammo. Love mine,

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Good little guns, I bought one about a year ago and enjoy the heck out of it.
    The ammo is still easy to get at gun shows and not too expensive. You can even get a CC holster for them now.
    Crossbreed Holsters > Home
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

VIP Member
    Hey, Bubbie,
    That looks just like mine, right down to the box and chinsie, made-in-China gun lock!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I put a deposit on a Glock 22 yesterday. We have a gunshop that has layaway. Hopefully it will be home in May.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Great gun. Mine was my EDC for awhile due to finances. Never felt under gunned.

Great look on the cat's face!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Great gun. Mine was my EDC for awhile due to finances. Never felt under gunned.

Great look on the cat's face!
    Like most pets, he's rotten... get's away with it.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Love my CZ-82. I use it for my EDC gun, and I feel very comfortable with it.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Great range report. I'm glad she's a keeper!

Enjoy
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Many folks who try 'em, like 'em. I do.
    Congrats.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Without a doubt the CZ82 is the best bargin going today in a quality handgun especially if you have a C&R FFL.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I finally got around to firing my recently acquired surplus CZ-82.

Next I'm ging to disassemble it, strip it, and DuraCoat it. I'm torn between S/S slide and frame with matte black sights, and controls; or all matte black.

I'm not so sure it is a good idea to refurbish it. Here is my thoughts.

The vz. 82 was added to the US government's "Curio and Relic" list with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) in February 2007.

ČZ vz. 82
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It could be more valuable the way it is. I have seen where a WWII knife lost most of its value because someone varnished it.

Just my two-cents.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Most of the CZ82's now imported were manufactured in the 80's and 90's and are modern double action semi-autos that were used by both the Czech police and military and even though they are C&R eligible handguns they are not really collectable in that sense IMO. We are just lucky that someone a few years back petitioned the BATF for C&R status for this gun and it was granted. I personally own three examples. CZ still makes the CZ83 which is the same gun in .380. Hard to believe a Bulgarian Makarov which is a much older design, and the ones we typically see here were made in the 70’s are not C&R and the CZ82 is…….go figure!

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I'm not so sure it is a good idea to refurbish it. Here is my thoughts.

The vz. 82 was added to the US government's "Curio and Relic" list with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) in February 2007.

ČZ vz. 82
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It could be more valuable the way it is. I have seen where a WWII knife lost most of its value because someone varnished it.

Just my two-cents.
    I understand and appreciate you comments, Sig. However, I didn't purchase this for "collectable" value but with the intent of customizing an inexpensive but well-made pistol.
    I look at it as: Do I preserve/restore a '32 Ford. or do I hotrod it out? There're pluses and minuses to either direction.

If it were a rarity (and may be some years down the road), I'm sure I'll oneday think, Man, I should have left it the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Without a doubt the CZ82 is the best bargin going today in a quality handgun especially if you have a C&R FFL.

That's a good looking pistol! Nothing better than old style workmanship. That pistol oozes style and reliability.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links