Need CCW choice help

Need CCW choice help

This is a discussion on Need CCW choice help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm a new CCW permit holder from the buckeye state. I have not carried yet....just a little undecided on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need CCW choice help

Need CCW choice help

Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm a new CCW permit holder from the buckeye state. I have not carried yet....just a little undecided on the right set-up.
    My current stock is :
    Rem-Rand 1911
    1960's era Hi-Power 9mm
    1960's era Colt Python 6"
    S&W 686 4" .357
    I love all these guns; great shooting but a little big for CC. And I do realize that I will have to dress around the gun. I would like to CC the 1911 or the Browning.... so I would like to get some CC advice from the forum as far as set-ups(holsters,belts, etc)
    I wear shorts and t-shirt alot... now that spring is here.
    My other option is to buy a smaller gun.

PF-9
    LCR
    XDSC (I like the grip....feel)
    I rented the glock26 at the range.... did not like the feel /ergos.(sorry glock fans)

Thanks
    Steve

i dont have no problems carry my XD9sc in the summer just wear my t shirt out....

I do have a LCP and carry it in the front pocket in pocket holster.

friend of mine had that LCR and he carries it in an appendix holster.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I like the XD but I liked the M&P compact even more. I also love my Ruger SR9 Compact. I like it much better than the Glock I traded it in on im not a fan of Glock ergos either.

The LCR is probably the best(especially the trigger) out of the box on the market right now for a revolver.

I have no experience with the PF9.

you COULD look at the Glock 36 its the ONLY Glock id bother owning thats because its narrower than the standard big fat glock one size fits all grips. Only Glock that fit my hands right.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your CCW.
    If you want to carry the 1911 or Browning, you should have no problem concealing it with a good quality holster and quality gun belt.
    I carry a full size 1911 most of the time including the summer with shorts and t shirt in a Del Fatti inside the pants holster and using a Del Fatti belt. There are many quality hoster and belt makers but most of them have some pretty long wait times. Lightning Arms Sports usually has holsters and belts in stock from Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, and 5 Shot Leather. All of those are top quality as ar many others. The web site for lightning arms is:

Lightning Arms Sports
    NRA life member.

Well it seems you have some decent firearms to choose from already in inventory.

In the holster and belt department, I prefer a MTAC Minotaur holster with either a Beltman belt or a Wilderness Tactical Instructors Belt. I have effectively concealed Glock compacts, H&K compacts & commander sized 1911's under the right t-shirt with this holster/belt combo.

YMMV
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    My primary is a BHP 9mm. I carry it every day without problems in a Milt Sparks #1 Heritage (Milt Sparks Holsters) or a High Noon Tail Gate horsehide (Tail Gate) depending on the attire; and I do not dress around the gun. Both of them are IWB and very good holsters; I wear them 4:00 to 5:00. However, I should not recommend the High Noon mag carrier; it is too “clumsy”, unnecessary big, and it rides way to high, which makes it very uncomfortable to wear. Furthermore, it is OWB.
    I wish I had your 1960's Hi-Power and Colt Python. You are a very lucky guy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Have you looked at the Colt Defender, 45acp. It is a compact 1911.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Welcome to the forum
    My primary is a BHP 9mm. I carry it every day without problems in a Milt Sparks #1 Heritage (Milt Sparks Holsters) or a High Noon Tail Gate horsehide (Tail Gate) depending on the attire; and I do not dress around the gun. Both of them are IWB and very good holsters; I wear them 4:00 to 5:00. However, I should not recommend the High Noon mag carrier; it is too “clumsy”, unnecessary big, and it rides way to high, which makes it very uncomfortable to wear. Furthermore, it is OWB.
    I wish I had your 1960's Hi-Power and Colt Python. You are a very lucky guy!
    Thanks for the reply. I just got the 1911 back from the gunsmith. He replaced all the springs and checked the gun over to make sure it safe and all the safeties work. I also dropped off the Hi-power to get a larger safety installed(stock one is way too small) and he suggested disconnecting the mag-safety.
    I'll try carrying the 1911 and Hi-power before I re-think buying a "smaller" gun. (maybe the LCR).
    I'll check into your holster ideas and also a crossbreed supertuck.
    Thanks again
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    Have you looked at the Colt Defender, 45acp. It is a compact 1911.

Ken
    Thanks
    Yes I did. Checked into a 3 and 4inch 1911; SA, Colt,Kimber, RIA.
    I think I'll try carrying the 1911 and the Hi-power and then get an idea if a "smaller" carry gun is needed. (maybe LCR)

Thanks
    Steve

Steve, I carry XD9sc EDC and no probs with it IWB in a supertuck clone, when I must wear a tucked-in shirt. Otherwise I carry in a belt holster, Galco Silhouette. It's high riding and secure. I would re-think purchasing a smaller handgun if I were you. I have a p3at that is about to be given to my daughter. After carrying the XD and often a full-size 1911(winter months), I just can't go back to that little .380. Heck, now I'm even thinking about getting rid of the XDsc and carrying a 1911 micro for summertime. The darn 1911's are so slim and feel very good-in-hand. Plus, I like the secure feeling of being able to throw that large piece of lead at a BG (God forbid) if need be.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Carry a S&W 642 front pocket in a Desantis Super Fly, or G33 at 4:00 in a IWB holster.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I am a big fan of the Ruger LCR. Can't go wrong. Good power, conceal-ability, and shoot-ability. Only draw back is 5shots at a time.

Ruger LCR get's my vote.

In my opinion, your existing BHP is one of the best 9mm carry guns ever manufactured. The slim barrel is ideal for IWB carry in a Cross Breed Supertuck or a simple Galco horsehide rig. My two favorite 9mm guns for carry are a BHP or a P225. Nothing else compares.

The Keltec would be a good cheap carry gun.If I come across one around here I am going to get it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Forgot to add that the 686 in a good holster wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links