SP 101 Misfire

This is a discussion on SP 101 Misfire within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While shooting Corbon .38 special from my new SP 101 hammer-less 2.25'', I pull the trigger, hear the click and the bullet does not fire. ...

Thread: SP 101 Misfire

SP 101 Misfire

While shooting Corbon .38 special from my new SP 101 hammer-less 2.25'', I pull the trigger, hear the click and the bullet does not fire. The unfired bullet revolves and the next bullet in line fires. This situation has happened about 4 times out of 50 rounds through this revolver. The bullets will fire the second go round in the revolver.

Could the misfires be a break in issue or a defect? I've had no issues with the SP 101 3".
    Glocks 19 & 26 in 9mm
    Sig C3 in .45 ACP
    Beretta M9
    Mossberg 500A 12 gage
    Benelli Montefeltrow 20 gage
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Watch to see if it is the same chamber that is misfiring. If it is the head space may be cut to deep. This is rare but it could happen. You can also look at the primers to see if they may be set too deep. This is also rare but can happen. Good luck, Isme
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slipnby View Post
    While shooting Corbon .38 special from my new SP 101 hammer-less 2.25'', I pull the trigger, hear the click and the bullet does not fire. The unfired bullet revolves and the next bullet in line fires. This situation has happened about 4 times out of 50 rounds through this revolver. The bullets will fire the second go round in the revolver.
    Could the misfires be a break in issue or a defect? I've had no issues with the SP 101 3".
    Lots of possibilities.

1. bad primers - change ammo
    2. worn firing pin - inspect/replace
    3. weak firing pin or hammer springs. inspect / replace

ammo is most likely.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Is it a new gun, or used? If used, has it had a "trigger job" by a "gunsmith" in the past?

Send me both of your SP101s. I'll send back the 2.25"er working perfectly...free of charge!
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

If it's a used gun there are times that people will do at home "gunwrecking"once the gun becomes a problem they just trade it off or sell it and an unsuspecting buyer gets a faulty gun,could be a hammer spring somebody cut coils off of to lighten the DA trigger pull and now it has a tendency to hit the primers too light to set them off,some primers may be just a little harder to ignite than the others
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When a round goes click, be sure to wait a minute while holding the muzzle in a safe direction before proceeding. If you just pull past it without waiting, you could possibly get a delayed ignite with the round out of position. That would not be good. I'm no expert, but seems better to be safe than sorry. Has anyone else been told the same thing with revolvers when they go click?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    When a round goes click, be sure to wait a minute while holding the muzzle in a safe direction before proceeding. If you just pull past it without waiting, you could possibly get a delayed ignite with the round out of position. That would not be good. I'm no expert, but seems better to be safe than sorry. Has anyone else been told the same thing with revolvers when they go click?
    Ah, the mythical hangfire.

I do not sit and wait. I immediately advance to the next round, either by pulling the trigger on a revolver or taprackbang on an auto. My thinking is this--if I always in practice stop and wait to make certain that it isn't a hangfire...what happens if I get a dud round in real, life-threatening situation? That's right--I'll more than likely stand there, stupidly, weapon out of commission, waiting to be certain it's safe...which would be bad.

Personally, I've never seen a round by a modern, major manufacturer hangfire (matter of fact, the only hangfires I've ever seen was with some ollllld .303--actually had sticks of cordite instead of powder in 'em)...and I'll roll the dice that I never will see one over instilling a bad habit.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

In a SD situation, I'd keep pulling the bang switch on a revolver and roll the dice on a hangfire. On a semi, I'd rack it and keep pulling. I've only ever had 1 click, and it was in someone else's pistol at the range. One time out of 20 years hopefully won't engrain a bad habit in the event of a SD situation, but you never know. It happened at the range and one of the range personnel stepped over and explained the steps above to me. That's been my only experience or advice, so that's why I asked. There's a lot of folks here far more knowlegable than me. I appreciate your feedback on it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links