90 series Colt Defender vs SA Micro Compact 1911

This is a discussion on 90 series Colt Defender vs SA Micro Compact 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. Not quite sure where to turn for advice on this so I'm asking the experts. (that would be YOU!) I recently purchased a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90 series Colt Defender vs SA Micro Compact 1911

90 series Colt Defender vs SA Micro Compact 1911

Hi everyone. Not quite sure where to turn for advice on this so I'm asking the experts. (that would be YOU!)
    I recently purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model, full size. Beavertail safety, tritium night sights, etc. I only got it because I wanted it, no other reason. Just curious about what all the talk of 1911's was all about. Well, I LIKE it! My standard carry piece at this time is a SA XD9 sub compact. I was thinking about trading the SC towards a sub compact version of a 1911 for my EDC. Phasing out my 9mm for .45's. The gun shop I do business with locally has a Colt Defender, 90 series, 3 inch barrel, beavertail, stainless, for sale, but it doesn't come with the night sights. I kwno nothing about this model of Colt.

I've researched the Springfield 3" barrel loaded model and reallyl like the looks of it. And it would be a miniature twin of my full size 1911 which I really like shooting.

So basically what I'm asking is....how does the Colt compare, performance-wise? And price....should the Colt be less expense than the SA and by how much? Since its for EDC, I would get either one in stainless.

Any help any of you can give me would be appreciated.

Bud
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Hi everyone. Not quite sure where to turn for advice on this so I'm asking the experts. (that would be YOU!)
    I recently purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded model, full size. Beavertail safety, tritium night sights, etc. I only got it because I wanted it, no other reason. Just curious about what all the talk of 1911's was all about. Well, I LIKE it! My standard carry piece at this time is a SA XD9 sub compact. I was thinking about trading the SC towards a sub compact version of a 1911 for my EDC. Phasing out my 9mm for .45's. The gun shop I do business with locally has a Colt Defender, 90 series, 3 inch barrel, beavertail, stainless, for sale, but it doesn't come with the night sights. I kwno nothing about this model of Colt.
    I've researched the Springfield 3" barrel loaded model and reallyl like the looks of it. And it would be a miniature twin of my full size 1911 which I really like shooting.
    So basically what I'm asking is....how does the Colt compare, performance-wise? And price....should the Colt be less expense than the SA and by how much? Since its for EDC, I would get either one in stainless.
    Any help any of you can give me would be appreciated.
    Bud
    I have had an SA Champion ( 4 inch barrel ) for years.
    Great gun , no problems.

If you do a little searching online you will find the general opinion is that the 3 inch 1911s are prone to
    feeding problems.

It has more to do with the operating principles of 1911s
    than with what MFG. makes it.
    Still , some people buy them and have no problems.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks AKsrule. Yeah, I made the mistake of asking here before searching through the threads. The excitement of making this decision to switch to a 1911 for EDC got the best of me. Please excuse my impatience with not searching first, regulars. Guess I'm still sorta new here.

Anyway, I'm I asking for reliability trouble with a 3"? Would the 3.5" version make a difference? Or does it have to be 4"?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

1911's have timing problems with less than a 4" barrel. Stick with commander size 1911's.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have two Defenders.... One I have had a bit over a year, the second one I just bought a few weeks back... and both are functioning flawlessly and were so out of the box.

Sometimes you get lucky and get a 3" that functions out of the box. My experience is that most do not, but they certainly look good. I love to have one, but not being handy with fixing problems, I'm afraid to invest. Actually, barrel length is not much of an advantage in concealment, except that the grip frame is usally shorter. If you've go a 5" that's working good, you might feel a little better about trying a shorter one. If it doesn't work, you can always fall back on the full size.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I have two Defenders.... One I have had a bit over a year, the second one I just bought a few weeks back... and both are functioning flawlessly and were so out of the box.
    cphillip, what's the round count on your older one? Also, are there still Defenders in gunshops with the Colt recall problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in VA View Post
    Sometimes you get lucky and get a 3" that functions out of the box. My experience is that most do not, but they certainly look good. I love to have one, but not being handy with fixing problems, I'm afraid to invest. Actually, barrel length is not much of an advantage in concealment, except that the grip frame is usally shorter. If you've go a 5" that's working good, you might feel a little better about trying a shorter one. If it doesn't work, you can always fall back on the full size.
    That's what I was thinking Mike. If I have to have work done to the 3", I have a back up. My concern is that for the summer months, I'd like something a little lighter and shorter=easier to conceal under just an untucked t-shirt. Plus, after long consideration, I am wanting to stay in the .45 cal.

If you keep it clean, and don't fool with it, if you buy the Colt for a decent price, and then find you don't like it, you can usually get back out without getting hurt too much. The Springers tend to depreciate a little more than the Colts.

I don't have a Defender, but do have an Officers, which is very close. Functions great, nary a problem. I have heard the Colts tend to be the most reliable of the 3 inchers, but can't say myself.

As far as Springfields go, I have a Champion Stainless, and I have been very happy with it. It is extremely reliable and very well made. I would hope the 3" 1911 would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    If you keep it clean, and don't fool with it, if you buy the Colt for a decent price, and then find you don't like it, you can usually get back out without getting hurt too much. The Springers tend to depreciate a little more than the Colts.

I don't have a Defender, but do have an Officers, which is very close. Functions great, nary a problem. I have heard the Colts tend to be the most reliable of the 3 inchers, but can't say myself.

As far as Springfields go, I have a Champion Stainless, and I have been very happy with it. It is extremely reliable and very well made. I would hope the 3" 1911 would be the same.
    Thanks, I appreciate your insight. Good thoughts to consider.

my micro-compact is a sweet shooter - zero problems... I let a buddy shoot it at the range a week ago - and suddenly he wants to "borrow" it ... nah - I will lend him a full size 1911 not my baby

Back in the day anything shorter than 4" was suspect, now not so much - stick with a top shelf mfg and you should do fine (SA and Colt are great in my book)

OD*
    So basically what I'm asking is....how does the Colt compare, performance-wise?
    The ones I've handled, performance is about the same.
    And price....should the Colt be less expense than the SA and by how much? Since its for EDC, I would get either one in stainless.
    The Colt will cost more for several reasons, less MIM and cast parts than the Springer's, and they are Union made in the USA, if any of that matters to you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

MrD, I appreciate your input.

OD, I'm seeing reviews that back up your assertion that performance is on par with each. And yes, made in Union-made in USA is a good thing. And from what I see, the Colt Defender is going for at least a couple of hundred less than the SA Micro Loaded. From what I can tell, the only features lacking in the Colt as compared to the SA is tritium night sights and the micro light. Well, I can do without the light, would rather have the flexibility of using a tac light in my off-hand if needed. As for the night sights, I have them on my full size SA Loaded and love the fact that they are glowing right there on the nightstand, so easy to see exactly where the gun is at all times. I'd have to go for having them installed on the Colt which takes the price about equal.

I'm leaning towards the Colt but darnit, that SA Micro Operator looks SWEET!

Decisions.....decisions.....

Thanks for all your help, guys. (as far as I can tell, no gals weighing in yet)

If anyone has anything else to offer, please don't hesitate.

Thanks.

OD*
    And from what I see, the Colt Defender is going for at least a couple of hundred less than the SA Micro Loaded.
    Really? That's good. MSRP or "street" price?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Really? That's good. MSRP or "street" price?
    Local gun shop has stainless and aluminum alloy Defender for $949 but he'll drop that price for me. They are selling online about $100 less than that but figure in shipping and FFL transfer fee and that brings them up to $900.

Only seen SA Micros in online sales all in the $1,100 range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links