1911 Time...

1911 Time...

This is a discussion on 1911 Time... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I plan to "pull the trigger" on the purchase of a new 1911, most likely a 4in, and most likely a Kimber Raptor... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Time...

1911 Time...

This weekend I plan to "pull the trigger" on the purchase of a new 1911, most likely a 4in, and most likely a Kimber Raptor... What do you other 1911 guys and gals carry, and what would you do differently if you had it to do over.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I like the 5" platform better than any other 1911. Just sayin.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I love my Kimber Pro Carry II 4". The only thing I'd do different is perhaps get the stainless version of the same firearm.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

I carry a Springfield Loaded 1911 Mil Spec, which is the full size model. To do over again? Nothing, except not have started out going the 9mm route to begin with and now have to trade off my XD9sc for a 3" 1911. I like the full size 1911 but want to add a micro compact version for easier concealment in hot weather dress. Much rather carry OWB in the summer due to perspiration (ok, I sweat buckets) and the long barrel on the full size is too difficult to conceal with just an untucked t-shirt.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I'll be the guy that recommends the Colt Combat Commander or Colt LW XSE Commander.

Senior Moderator
    If I were buying my first 1911 over again?

I would purchase a Springfield... probably a Champion.

Good luck with your first 1911.. they are addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    I carry a Springfield Loaded 1911 Mil Spec, which is the full size model. To do over again? Nothing, except not have started out going the 9mm route to begin with and now have to trade off my XD9sc for a 3" 1911. I like the full size 1911 but want to add a micro compact version for easier concealment in hot weather dress. Much rather carry OWB in the summer due to perspiration (ok, I sweat buckets) and the long barrel on the full size is too difficult to conceal with just an untucked t-shirt.
    I carry a 4'' or a 5'' out here in the heat.I don't have any trouble. But good luck.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

My EDC is the stainless Raptor three inch (Ultra) with a pair of Sarge's grips.

If I was just starting out with 1911s, my first choice would be a steel Commander-size (4-inch). Springfield would get my money if Wilson, Baer or Ed Brown guns remained out of reach.

I carry a number of different guns, and a lightweight 4-incher (Kimber CDP Pro) is the favorite... but I cut my teeth for 20+ years on a full-size, steel 1911.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have a Govt. model .45, a Para 13/45 and used to have a sweet Combat Commander ( that was STOLEN! ) Neither one of the current ones have given me any trouble and shoot really, really well for stock guns. You'll definately enjoy a .45, although I have no experience with a Kimber. I've heard some here say that they're too tight to be reliable until broken in. I don't know about that, but when I was "newer" and "tighter", I remember working better than now when I'm more broken in and a little looser! Thats probably apples and oranges though.

I have two Kimbers, both CDP's...one is an Ultra, the other is the Compact. If starting over, I get the Compact...same gun, same grip, but a longer barrel...both conceal the same way...EASY.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    I'll be the guy that recommends the Colt Combat Commander or Colt LW XSE Commander.
    I'll second that suggestion. If you want a 5" barrel the Springer Mil-Spec is one heck of a 1911.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

best 1911 i've ever fired:

Kimber Ultra Stainless Raptor II no problems at all! Great Shooter an Hides well. Love the 3" size!!

I started with a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry. Looking back I would have went with a model that had a 4" barrel and night sights. Most likely the Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links