Springfield GI. 45

Springfield GI. 45

This is a discussion on Springfield GI. 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never owned a 1911, but have shot them and enjoy the SA on them. I'm thinking of adding one to my collection. I don't ...

Springfield GI. 45

I've never owned a 1911, but have shot them and enjoy the SA on them. I'm thinking of adding one to my collection. I don't think it will be my carry gun since I love my Kahr PM9 and P380... along with a Glock 19.

I've been doing a ton of reading and research the last week or so. The models I've been closely looking at are the Colt New Agent and some of the Springfield Armory 1911's.

I just read a review on the Springfield GI and I am very intrigued because of it's price point. My question is on customization. Is the GI a good starting 1911 that I could easily customize and add/change parts on to later on? I'm really interested in customizing in order to learn more about the inner workings of the 1911 and to have a nice range gun. Any comments on reliability and feeding of various ammunition types would be wonderful.

The Springer GI is a wonderful platform for customization. However, for about $100 more, the Mil-Spec model offers much better sights and a few features you'll ultimately end up paying for (e.g., lowered and flared ejection port). If the budget will stretch that far, it's a good value.

Both my 5-inch Springers handle hardball and JHPs just fine; lead semi-wadcutters hang up a little bit, but I don't have many of those left so it doesn't trouble me. I've run maybe 6 different JHP loads thru both guns, from 165 to 230 grains, and all chambered and ejected just fine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

+1 to gasmitty's advice
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I just bought a Springer G.I. .45 and love it. I don't plan on doing any mods to it. I wanted the old school military style 1911. I agree with gasmitty and resqr9142, go for the Mil-Spec and you start out ahead in the 1911 game.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

gasmitty hit the nail on the head. With the lowered ejection port and beveled mag well, the Mil Spec is the better platform for upgrading.

Good luck.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have a stainless Springfield GI that I've "customized" over the course of about 5 years. Maybe "accessorized" is more accurate, since all the parts are off-the-shelf, rather than truly custom. But I digress.

Originally, I had no intention of changing anything... but over time, I began to desire some of the features that were missing from the plain-jane GI configuration.

I have added a Wilson Combat drop-in beavertail safety, Wilson Combat hammer, Wilson Combat recoil spring, Wilson Combat slide stop, Ed Brown chain link flat mainspring housing, Ed Brown extended thumb safety, Ed Brown hex-head grip screws, Cocobolo grips, and Novak Lo-Mount 3-dot sights.

Most of the stuff was done by either myself or my local gunsmith, except the Novak sights. For those, I mailed the slide directly to Novak. They cut the dovetails and installed the sights within a week.

I'm very pleased with everything... however, it turned out to be alot more expensive than just buying a pistol that was factory-built with similar features, such as the Springfield "Loaded" model. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The Springer GI is a wonderful platform for customization. However, for about $100 more, the Mil-Spec model offers much better sights and a few features you'll ultimately end up paying for (e.g., lowered and flared ejection port). If the budget will stretch that far, it's a good value.

Both my 5-inch Springers handle hardball and JHPs just fine; lead semi-wadcutters hang up a little bit, but I don't have many of those left so it doesn't trouble me. I've run maybe 6 different JHP loads thru both guns, from 165 to 230 grains, and all chambered and ejected just fine.
    Great advice sir. Go for the Mil-Spec. I have a 1990 Standard which is pretty much the same 1911 and it eats everything I feed it, including LSWC's. I added a Wilson hammer, trigger, Ed brown ambi safety and a Wilson drop in safety. A Gunners Mate bud who's a 1911 guru did the work for beer. It's a shooting machine. Best semi I've ever owned! Saved my butt 3 times in 19 years of packing. All three incidents were when I was stationed in the h*** hole of a city called Miami.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; March 18th, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Picture
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were to buy a 1911, it would be a GI version. I'm not into all the customized stuff. I want my .45 auto to be as-issued GI.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Me too. I'd get the Mil Spec and leave it as is.

TGC
    I have a mil-spec, it is my favorite weapon. I prefer it to my Kimber Ultra Carry.

Thanks for all of the comments. I originally was looking at the GI because they have 3" and 4" builds. I'm not sure I really want a 5" full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Great advice sir. Go for the Mil-Spec. I have a 1990 Standard which is pretty much the same 1911 and it eats everything I feed it, including LSWC's.
    Well now that's a cosmic coincidence... my first 1911 is a Springfield Standard (1911A1) purchased in 1990. Trigger job, drop-in beavertail, polished feed ramp from a local 'smith. Last year I sent it back to address the 3" low POI issue, and they threw in a new barrel, bushing, link, and sights. Now it shoots to POA but the chamber is a little snug and it's not reliable with the SWCs I have lying around.

Simply a great gun... over 10K rounds through it, and as tight as the day I brought it home.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Get the 5 inch. You'll will never have a feeding problem with a G.I. or Mil Spec 5 Springfield. They're micro's look great, but they ain't. You will end up sending it back or having it worked on. My dream gun is a 3" 1911, but it scares me to think of investing in a gun that will more than likely not work.

Links