found perfect carry gun

found perfect carry gun

This is a discussion on found perfect carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a taurus 709 slim and what a gun it is.I love it after one trip to the range.fired wwb fmjs,remington fmjs,reloaded hollowpoints,gold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: found perfect carry gun

found perfect carry gun

I just bought a taurus 709 slim and what a gun it is.I love it after one trip to the range.fired wwb fmjs,remington fmjs,reloaded hollowpoints,gold dots.

Please excuse the way this looks,I'm just learning how to post pics and it looks like I've got more studying to do.
    fired

these at 10 yds,hardly any recoil.no malfunctions of any kind.My new carry piece

Congrats, great shooting. Hope it serves you well.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

CMR
    Congrats.
    Too bad its a Taurus.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Congrats.
    Too bad its a Taurus.
    Don't mind the Taurus bashers. A lot of people spend $600 - $800 on a compact 9mm and find out they could have gotten one of these for under $400.

I've had my PT709 SS for 5 months, put 800 flawless rounds through it and it's been awesome. You will find it to be a very accurate handgun the more you practice with it.

Clean and lube every 200 rounds and you'll love it. I agree with you that it is the perfect CCW. Fun to shoot, managable recoil, light, thin, easy to carry. What's not to like???

Be aware that some folks have issues with WWB. I've put 100 rounds through mine without issue, but it was well after initial break-in. Congrats!!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
    Last edited by BugDude; March 18th, 2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: correct tense
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

"Found perfect carry gun"... O.. I thought you had found a Glock 27. Just kidding. Congrats on your new Slim. Hope it serves you well.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I EDC a PT145 but I own a 709 and have to agree that it is a fine gun. If the PT145 wasnt so easy to easy to carry I would go back to my 709 without a second thought.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Don't mind the Taurus bashers.
    Just speaking from experience.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Congrats on the new pistola!
    Enjoy...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've heard enough about these that I'd like to take one for a spin. For some of us, a carry piece has GOTTA be slim.

Dear lord it is one of the ugliest guns I've ever seen though.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    I've heard enough about these that I'd like to take one for a spin. For some of us, a carry piece has GOTTA be slim.

Dear lord it is one of the ugliest guns I've ever seen though.

That's why it's such a great concealed weapon.

I have other guns I like to shoot more. I have other guns I prefer to use for SD because of capacity and caliber. But the 709 gets used a bunch because it's so darned easy to carry.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

mine started having hiccups after about the 600 rounds. it may be my fault because i was using walmart ammo. it's a good gun and all but for me..... it's not a glock! Now, to each is own guys. good luck with your slim sjones. i sold mine last week and bought a 856 revolver instead.
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

Probably ought to be concealed, it's an eyesore!

Seems to me a guy in a gorilla suit could pack a Glock 21 with a couple o' spare mags; though I don't understand how the bicycle fits into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

I have other guns I like to shoot more. I have other guns I prefer to use for SD because of capacity and caliber. But the 709 gets used a bunch because it's so darned easy to carry.
    I know what you mean. It's a great size and for me a fun shooter. It's the most accurate small gun I've shot. I think it's a rather nice looking gun myself, and all of my buddies (who also carry and go shooting) think it's a nice looking piece too. Great fit and finish. I've stripped it down and a lot of my friends have pointed out a number of quality construction points internally (like embedded steel rails in the front and the back of the poly frame). My XD has poly rails.

Small guns do require more attention and maintenance. I can shoot my P95 a thousand times and not clean it for years and have no problems. This one, not so much. Clean and lube every 200 rounds. If shooting more than 200 at the range, at least take a bore snake with Gunzilla or CLP and run through it after 200. The extractor is small and somewhat sharp. It easily gets brass built up and can affect it. When cleaning, take a tiny screw driver and check the extractor. Take apart the mag and clean the follower. As a single stack w/ 7 rounds, it doesn't have the strongest mag spring. As buildup collects on the sides of the follower, it can catch in the mag towards the last few rounds. Take your cleaning cloth with a light amount of cleaner lube and wipe it down. A super thin coat on the outside and inside of the mag doesn't hurt as long as you wipe it back down with a clean dry cloth. Don't over lube the gun. A very thin coat of grease on the rails is all you need and a very thin coat of thin oil elsewhere wiped back down.

A vast majority of the issues people have experienced with these super thin and light 9mms is related to one of the following:

1) Ammo. They are somewhat ammo sensitive. Like any semi-auto, try various types and brands and find what it cycles best. Ammo specs vary by manufacturer, type, or even batch.

2) Limp wristing. They are small, thin, light semi-autos that are very sensitive to limp wristing. Just not much way around it.

3) Cleaning. Either under cleaning or over lubing. One seems to be just as bad as the other. Small semi-autos have less margin for error. Tighter tolerances.

4) Extractor. Very early in production, they had a bad batch of extractors. That was a limited issue. Extractors are easily replaced, no big deal. Also, they are small and sharp and do collect brass over time. Check it when you clean it.

5) Magazine. It is a single stack short mag and does not have the tightest spring in the world (which is ok). Again, sensitive to either not cleaning or over lubing and a slight bend if dropped will cause significant problems. If the slide is locking back before the last round, not locking back after the last round, or the round is nose-diving, it is most likely a mag issue. Replacements are inexpensive.

This may seem like a long list of things, but really they are common sense easy to address kind of things if you are aware of them going in. It's a mechanical device designed for concealed carry, not a range gun or combat tested field weapon designed to tolerate extreme conditions.

I hope this helps.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Nice gun! i have a Taurus 9mm too it hasnt had a FTF in 2 years.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links