How many shots to break in a new X, Y, or Z

This is a discussion on How many shots to break in a new X, Y, or Z within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, folks, I want to get a good carry weapon for Dear Daughter for her 21st. I would like to see her with a single-stack ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many shots to break in a new X, Y, or Z

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

OK, folks, I want to get a good carry weapon for Dear Daughter for her 21st. I would like to see her with a single-stack 9mm, though I would rather see her mousegun than to carry nothing at all.

Prices range from perhaps $300 to perhaps $450. But, heck, I can look at price tags. What I'm concerned about is the break-in period. If a new ____ takes 300 shots of ____ ammo, then I need to add that to the purchase price (in addition to 100 of the carry ammo). It a more expensive weapon is good to go out of the box and only needs the carry ammo test, then the price is a 'push' if the break-in ammo cost equals the price difference.

Yes, I know that saving a bit more for a bit longer is likely to be a better way to proceed (get quality first, etc.) - but timing and the closeness of the likely choices suggest a purchase fairly soon.

How many shots would you plan on for each of these weapons in order to break them in? I would do a fluff-and-buff first on the KelTecs and any other weapon that needed it (I have a Dremel tool).

Kel-Tec P3-AT
    Ruger LCP
    Diamondback DB380

Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Slim
    Kahr CW9

(Add any similar weapon if you wish, keeping in mind that my daughter is very, very slender... except Rohrbach, which is waaaay out of my price range.)

Or should I look for a used one?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

AzB
    The 709 slim is pretty good. Mine shot fine from the 1st shot on day 1. I did do a thorough cleaning before I shot it though.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

and i'm curious to know what it really means to "break in" a gun. i don't want to hijack this thread so if this will take it too far off topic, i'll start it again someplace else.

I would recommend at least 200 rounds for ANY of those guns on your list. Make sure to test out 20-50 rounds of JHP to make sure they feed reliably in those guns. I highly suggest renting those guns before buying any of them. Your daughter may not like the feel or trigger pull of those guns.

I have the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 and PM9. I used Winchester FMJ, Remington FMJ or PMC FMJ for the initial break in. I use Speer Gold Dots for JHP. I've had the best luck with that combination.

No matter which gun you buy, I recommend a thorough cleaning and light lubrication, follow by racking the slide dozens of times.

my Pf-9 has had only two failures it was with wwb ammo and it was in the first ten rounds when i was probably limp wristing it...It is pretty snappy being light and thin as it is...you might want to start her out shooting a .22 caliber pistol. or maybe get her a .38 snubby, unless she shoots alot....IMO
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    my Pf-9 has had only two failures it was with wwb ammo and it was in the first ten rounds when i was probably limp wristing it...It is pretty snappy being light and thin as it is...you might want to start her out shooting a .22 caliber pistol. or maybe get her a .38 snubby, unless she shoots alot....IMO
    This is a good point. My 16 yo daughter loves shooting larger, heavier, fuzz size 9mm autos. The Taurus 709 kinda freaked her out. It's a bit snappier than a full size gun, and you can really see the muzzle blast. In her case, I think it's mostly mental.
    Az

If I am going to carry the gun, no matter what make it is, I will put 400 to 500 rounds down the pipe and 100 rounds of whatever carry ammo I am going to use. This assures me of how reliable the gun is going to be.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    and i'm curious to know what it really means to "break in" a gun. i don't want to hijack this thread so if this will take it too far off topic, i'll start it again someplace else.
    There are those that think that a new gun needs to be run in order for the metal parts that contact each other to get to know each other.

But with today's machining tolerances and quality control on most firearms, there's a possibility that it's mostly mental. I have to admit that the last two firearms I have bought recently were perfect from day 1. Other than a good cleaning, they needed nothing to be accurate and reliable.
    Az

Taurus Slim PT709, my gun shop guru recommended thorough cleaning 1st and 200 rounds of FMJ (non-WWB) for break-in. It performed flawlessly out of the box for the first 200 rounds, and has since functioned flawlessly over a total of 800 rounds of multiple brands and types of ammo (including 100 rounds of WWB).

** Whether a gun needs "break-in" or not, I would not feel comfortable carrying any semi-auto weapon for SD without putting 200 rounds down range **

That's just me. I would account for 200 rounds with any purchase of a semi-auto. Perhaps just a box of 50 with a revolver.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

From the choices you listed, I would definately go with the kahr CW9, no question. Not too big, not too little and is very concealable. Kahr does recommend you put 200 rounds through any of their pistols before you seriously consider sending it back to them for malfunction problems. This isn't a bad idea in my opinion and good reasoning for any gun you plan to risk your life on.

I had one light strike on the third mag in my CW9 and now have over 700 trouble free rounds through it. Four boxes of cheap ammo from Academy will cost you $40.00. Two boxes of Hornady CD or Cor-Bon +p ammo will cost you $42.00 to $44.00. Both are good rounds, as are others. Be aware the Cor-Bon is hot and will certainly make you take notice in a light pistol.

I think your daughter will be better served with the CW9 than the smaller, lighter, harder recoiling mouse guns.

VIP Member
    Kahr CW9 would be the top of the 9mm's you listed, IMO. You may not need to go the full 200 rounds before you feel comfortable with the functioning of the gun. I felt comfortable after about 100 on my CW9. I would do the 'fluff and buff' on the Kel-Tecs as well changing out the recoil springs. Changing the recoil springs on my LCP changed the feel of the gun and improved the function 100%...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I would do the 'fluff and buff' on the Kel-Tecs as well changing out the recoil springs. Changing the recoil springs on my LCP changed the feel of the gun and improved the function 100%...
    - Same here. I changed the recoil spring in my brand new Kel-Tec P32 and Ruger LCP with a Wolff spring.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Taurus Slim PT709.

** Whether a gun needs "break-in" or not, I would not feel comfortable carrying any semi-auto weapon for SD without putting 200 rounds down range **
    +1..!!

I think the "break-in" period includes the important element of owner/weapon familiarity as well.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't understand an expensive item having to be "broken in." If the quality of the maunfacturer is all they boast, why doesn't the gun work like it should right out of the box?

I'm all for putting a couple hundred rounds through it to: A. gain confidence in the gun, B. gain confidence in my shooting the gun, but if it takes (or--how dare they even reccommend) 200-300 rounds to works out the "kinks," that only tell me the maker didn't do as well of a job as they claim.

It's brand new! If my car dealer told me I'd have to "break my new car in for a couple thousand miles until it quits breaking down," I'd run!

I'd much rather have my gun maker "break" my gun in before selling it to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    How many shots would you plan on for each of these weapons in order to break them in?
    As many as it takes to insure the firearm functions 100 percent of the time with the ammo you plan to carry in it.

I, personally, would not carry any firearm for personal protection until it has had 200 rounds without a single malfunction.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links