Looking for 1st CCW that is accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range. - Page 3

Looking for 1st CCW that is accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range.

This is a discussion on Looking for 1st CCW that is accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jackawala Smith & Wesson Sigma Pistols X2 or a Taurus 85. Both you can get new with your price range....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 1st CCW that is accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackawala View Post
    X2 or a Taurus 85. Both you can get new with your price range.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I'd look for a CZ 82, but if you saved until you have $400, you could start thinking about a used Glock--maybe even a new Glock if you'd consider a Glock 38.

Another one that will suggest "bucking up" a little more $.

For around $400 you can get a used Glock, XD or S&W M&P.

Life is too precious to limit your defense fund to $300

Good luck with your choice though.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Kel-Tec .380 or p-9

My thanks to all of you who took time to answer my original post. I appreciated all of your comments, but I haven't been able to get back to re-post until now.

Why do I want accuracy out to 25 yds.?
    Because I'm currently carrying a Ruger Mark 2 Competition Target pistol to deal with a woodchuck problem and I don't want to have to carry two guns. Where I live it is statistically more probable that I will shoot at many times more "chucks" than BG's, however I would like to acquire something capable of both. (And that Mark II is kind of hard to carry concealed! However, if you ever want to carry one discretely, a NetBook case does a nice job!)

Revolver accuracy
    I know that a .38 revolver will meet my SD needs, but I'm not sure I would be able to hit the woodchucks out at the edge of the cornfield with one (about 25 yds from my window). I tried a Hi-Standard.22 revolver, but couldn't get small enough groups at that distance. To those of you who practice regularly with 2-3" snubs, what size groups do you get on a regular basis at that distance?

Other models you suggested
    I really like the Sig P6 suggestion. My first choice was a Sig 226 or 225, and I liked the feel of the 225 I tried at a gun store, however the $800 price tag was more than I could afford (I prefer the single stack, and in NYS I don't know why I should bother getting a double-stack anyway since it has to be limited to 10 rounds). I believe I would be a happy camper if I could find a used P6/225 in good condition in the $300 range. Obviously, I want an accurate shooter -- and I will have to put in practice time.

I'm also open to the Kahr CW9, Taurus 709, Sigma and CZ-82, but I need to read more and see how they feel in my hand. I don't like to only get two fingers on the grip and I don't yet know the sizes of these guns. I'm not sure about the Keltecs, from what I've read, people don't seem to like shooting them for very long.

Not many comments about the Makarov
    As I said above, I've been inclined toward the Russian, East German (EG), or Bulgarian Makarov because they are reported to be accurate, very reliable, solid steel, and relatively easily concealable. I read that the CZ-82 was a bit larger and not as easy to conceal in a pocket, however I haven't had access to either the CZ or the true Makarov to try it out in my hand. I'll certainly look at one if I get a chance. Unfortunately we only have a couple small gun stores near town and the one "pawn shop" doesn't deal with handguns.

Trying to narrow my search and find best deal
    I'm trying to find out what I should look for and consider; then, if they have those models, I'll check out the three larger gun stores an hour away (all in different directions!), and try to decide. We do have a large gun show coming to our region (upstate central New York) next month. In the northeast (particularly upstate NY), do any of you find better prices at the dealers, or at the gun shows?

"Safety" comes from . . .
    I'm sure that there are some excellent pieces that are out there in the $500 and up category, but I'm not convinced that paying $600 instead of $300 will give me twice the protection if I choose wisely how to spend my $300. (I'd rather buy a used Rem 870 with the other $300!)

I want an accurate and reliable gun that is fun to shoot. If I were in a different income bracket I might want to spend more for fit, finish, bells and whistles -- and there is nothing wrong with those who can afford it (that is, as long as they don't think spending more money will buy them happiness, or necessarily make them "safer"). For SD, I believe that one only needs as much gun as will adequately defend him(her). None of us knows what tomorrow holds, and we all hope that we never have to use our guns for self defense. We should make decisions based on probabilities of what we are most likely to face and prepare accordingly as we can, but statistics have no direct bearing on what any of us are REALLY going to face tomorrow. Only God knows that, and I'll only be around the day after tomorrow if God wants me to be, whether I'm carrying a Rossi, or a tricked-out competition 1911.

I have had good luck with FEG PA63 in 9x18.

Around $200 and mine has been 100%
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

+1 one on Summit Gun Broker....but you have to be lightning fast to get any of his gun....a lot of them go within hours of being posted. I missed out on a great opportunity to own a S&W 4053 for a steal to accompany my S&W CS40D

cmb
    I agree with the SW 59-- they are good guns, and used you should be able to stay under 400, mags are relatively easy to find. I have no experience with CZ82's, I also have two PA63 (both of mine are 380's) and they have been good little pistols for me, their SA pull and accuracy is pretty good.

I would stay with the SW 59-- or a 3" 357 5 shot gives you the ability to load down to 38 special & /or +P. I would guess weight on these is about the same, both are concealable IWB.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    PF9, Sigma, and P6 are all decent options. The PF9 will definitely conceal the best, and it is amazingly accurate for the size (and barrel thickness, haha) once you get used to the trigger.

The Sigma and P6 as far as I know are more like 'duty size' guns and may not be comfortable for concealed carry, except under a coat or heavy clothing. Of course, this comfort and concealment depends heavily on both your manner of dress and personal body shape. But if you're looking to CC on a regular basis, you should probably look at smaller guns, like the PF9, 38 snubs, etc.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'd get one of the Swiss police turn in's available from several sources including Top Gun Supply. They are Sig 225's with mostly holster wear. You can pick one up in your range. For $50 more you can get a nicer one.
    I'm thinking of getting one even though I have a nice selection because, well, it's a Sig.

I can't imagine the Swiss police shooting their guns a lot.

I suggest watching online at Top Gun Supply and Summit Gun Broker, etc. Also check out the used guns at the local shops, all the while putting money aside for the gun. You don't have to spend a lot of money for a quality gun, but keep in mind that over the life of the gun the cost of ammunition will far outweigh the cost of the initial gun purchase so get what you really want to begin with. If you can't afford it right away then save up.

IMO you should be fine with anything that says Sig, CZ, XD, or even Glock on it.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Ruger P95 9mm. While this may be slightly bigger than what you are looking for, it is still very concealable. I also picked mine up for $299 brand new from my local gun shop. If you're a good enough shot, the gun is capable of decent groups at 25 yards - I am not, yet. It also has a magazine capacity of 15 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    It also has a magazine capacity of 15 rounds.
    He's in New York, he can only get 10rnd ones anyway. A good reason to go single stack IMO.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

HappyDog,

Not knowing just how familiar you are with handguns, I'd have to go along with the several posts recommending a .38 revolver.

I have a pretty strong opinion about semiautos for personal defense - I don't believe anyone should consider an auto until he's got at least several hundred rounds (probably more) through it, and a LOT of experience handling pistols. The complexity of an auto compared to a revolver more than offsets the advantages, for an inexperienced shooter.

If you ARE experienced with pistols, disregard all that! No insult intended!

If you're concerned about accuracy to 25 yards, you migh consider a small-frame .38 with a 3" or even 4" barrel. They're still reasonably concealable, but your accuracy will go up dramatically with the longer barrel. Not that the gun is inherently THAT much more accurate, but your ability to shoot it accurately will go way up with the longer sight radius. With a good 3" .38 , you should be able to get 4" groups at 25 yards with practice - probably better with more practice! I can get 4-5" at that range with a 2" snubbie, but I don't get to practice nearly enough!

Good luck with your selection!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    He's in New York, he can only get 10rnd ones anyway. A good reason to go single stack IMO.
    Good point. They do make them with 10 round magazines, but it definately defeats the purpose of having a gun that wide.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links