My New P45.....

My New P45.....

This is a discussion on My New P45..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago, I picked up and held a Kahr P45.....and I knew at some point, I would own one. The grip and compact ...

Thread: My New P45.....

My New P45.....

About a year ago, I picked up and held a Kahr P45.....and I knew at some point, I would own one. The grip and compact size seemed like it would make the perfect carry gun. After shooting it, I am definately in love with this little cannon.

I ended up trading a standard Kimber Pro Carry towards the Kahr. It was bittersweet, but also having a Pro TLE to keep in the stable lessened the sting somewhat.

I've read alot here (and some other forums) about the issues alot of people have had with their P45's, and after studying the gun and putting a hundred or so rounds through it, I made some observations on the cause of some of those issues. I had only a few mishaps in that first 100 rnds, but I'll share my thoughts:

Before I went to the range, I broke it down, cleaned and lubed it. The fit of slide to the frame is pretty tight, but the chamber and extractor are what caught my attention. I put several rounds into the chamber (with the bbl out of the gun). With the round in, I spun it with my fingers, as if tightening a screw. The fit was pretty close and some rounds would not spin. I also tuckeded a few rounds under the extractor to check the tension. Again very tight. You could tap the slide gently on a bench and that round would stay seated. Combine that with how tall the extractor is, and there is quite a bit friction to seat a round betwen the extractor and the breech face. It's nearly twice as tall as the one in my Kimber Pro TLE.

During my 100 rounds (mostly 230gr ball, with a mag of Hydrashocks thrown in), I had 4 instances where the slide would not go into battery all the way. I think this is largely due to the fit of the extractor and/or the round rubbing against the chamber wall on its way in. I had one FTE on a final round in the mag, where it looked like the case didn't quite make it out of the ejection port. Again appears to be the extractor. I also paid attention to the bullet presentation from the magazine to the chamber. The top round is pointed directly into it and it looks like the feedramp gets very little contact if any during the feed cycle, maybe mostly when there is a nose dive coming off the mag.

While disapointed that even a few failures occured, I do feel these can be overcome during the recommended break in period. I know many here have strong opnions about that, but I'm not going to discuss that here. I had similar issues when I got my Kimbers, but I was able to eliminate all issues with a Wolff high power recoil spring. I checked, but there doesn't seem to be anything available for the P45. I'm willing to bet another lb or two of spring force would eliminate the issues I saw.

Anyone know if high power springs are available for the P45?

As for general impressions shooting the thing, the recoil was pretty manageable, although I'll have to work on my weak hand in the 2 hand hold. I noticed a little extra force was needed to keep it seated over my strong hand. Shots grouped very well at 7 yards and I found the bar and dot sights easy to acquire for sight picture.

The biggest adjustment for me is the trigger. I have done all my training thus far on 1911's and the Kahr's DAO trigger has a looooong pull and a loooong reset. Force was fine, but I found myself using alot more finger to move the trigger back and forth, which initially pushed my shots low and left.

I'm really happy with the P45 and I can't wait to get some leather so I can carry it.

P45 thank you

That was a very good report on the P45.I to loved the feel of the Kahr.When you mentioned the long trigger pull & reset I did an aha thats the problem.I actually gave up range shooting as I did not have the knowledge to figure out what I was doing wrong,I to was shooting low left.Could you please tell me how you solved this problem.I went back to my 642 for carry but would love to add my kahr if I could shoot it better.Thank you.Grandpa Skip

Congrats on the new firearm...now how 'bout some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Skip View Post
    That was a very good report on the P45.I to loved the feel of the Kahr.When you mentioned the long trigger pull & reset I did an aha thats the problem.I actually gave up range shooting as I did not have the knowledge to figure out what I was doing wrong,I to was shooting low left.Could you please tell me how you solved this problem.I went back to my 642 for carry but would love to add my kahr if I could shoot it better.Thank you.Grandpa Skip
    Skip,

I'm not sure I have totally solved the problem, but I did make some improvements during my range session. I ended up with several of my 6 shot groups about 1" left and low at 7 yards, with a few groups hitting where they should towards the end, so I know I'm on the right track. Assuming you have a good solid grip, I would start slow with your finger pad centered on the trigger. When shooting a 1911, I use the tip of my pad, but the Kahr seems to demand a bit more contact. I get my sights where I want them, pressing the trigger back very slow and steady until the shot breaks - I want it to surprise me so I dont have an opportunity to flinch or muscle the trigger. Then I let it out slow and steady so I can feel the trigger reset, which feels like forever on the Kahr. Then I repeat for the rest of the mag. Once my group is where I want it, I slowly increase my speed over the next few magazines, trying to keep my groups on target. Only go faster when you can repeatedly group where you want it.

TheSorb,

Yeah I'll get som pics soon...

kahr p45

Thank you very much,I am going to the range in the morn will let you know the outcome.I feel confident with your info.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I purchased my Kahr P45 in Dec. '09, 1st trip to the range was in Jan. On my 49th rd something smacked me in the forehead, I noticed the round did not eject, After clearing I looked on the ground and found the extractor spring and pin, but NO extractor, could not find it. I was very disappointed to say the least.

After contacting Kahr, they had me ship the gun back, I got it back in 5 business days. They replaced the whole slide, pin and spring, and upgrading the mag release and they also installed a new set of night sites at no charge.

I was very impressed with their customer service. After getting the gun back I put 200 rds thru it with NO problems.

I have found that the back serrations on the grip cut into the web of your hand and have ordered a houge rubber grip to install on it in the hopes it fixes it.

The gun shoots good and i like it.
    02PSD4ME

I have the Kahr CW9 and had no problems during the 200 round break in period. I did purchase a spare magazine from the Kahr factory that will not eject freely whether it is fully loaded or not. I sent that one back to Kahr.

I really like my pistol as well, even though I was worried at first that I was taking a chance after reading all of the negative Kahr reviews on here. So far so good.

Shooting low and left is usually caused by anticipating recoil Grandpa Skip. Practice will help you eliminate that problem.
    God bless our troops!

kahr

Yes you are right,I knew I flinching.Anticipating the bang.I have a lot of work to do,so I am off to the range,will report.

Links