Glock night sights

This is a discussion on Glock night sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In about a month, I'll be buying a Glock 23. It will be ordered and then shipped to a local gunshop. I have three options, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock night sights

Glock night sights

In about a month, I'll be buying a Glock 23. It will be ordered and then shipped to a local gunshop. I have three options, regular sights (will be replaced with something else regardless, based upon everything I hear about standard Glock sights), Glock night sights ($52 upgrade), Trijicon sights ($72 upgrade). Please chime in on these sights if you have them. This gun will be my EDC, so if they affect holster options, etc, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Regards,
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

I have a mixture on my Glocks, but don't discount the standard bucket style sights there are many people who like them, I have one with the Glock night sites but don't like them as much because the dots are small. If your younger than me and you probably are this might not be a problem. I would get the standard bucket sight and practice with it for a while. You can always upgrade later.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

All my Glocks have regular ole' Trijicons...I really like them for these old eyes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are the prices for upgrades not advantageous at this point?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not a fan of night sights. For me, they're harder to see in daylight conditions, and I think their actual usefullness is overstated. I'm sure that will generate a lot of comments, but with my eyes, that's how I feel. But if you think you want them, get them.

I don't know what the alleged problem with the standard sights is; I've never heard of anyone knocking them off unless maybe they tossed their gun out the car window at 60+ mph. in that case, all bets are off with any sights.

I do feel that the white dot/outline sights (regardless of maker) tend to disappear against light-colored backgrounds. I remedied that on my G30 with a careful dab of Dayglo-Orange enamel model paint. That will do for me until all the BGs take to wearing Dayglo-Orange hoodies!

Another option I'll look into is a Red Dot sight. Just read a nice article in the latest "American Handgunner."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My point of reference is from "Gun World" March 2010 Vol 51 #3. An article entitled "Get Yhe Most From Your Glock". The author replaced his stock sights with a XS Big Dot up front, and a Novak Half Ghost ring rear. Looking at my options, I'm not sure that one of the ones listed (glock ns, trijicon) would be better. Again, just looking for I put from people familiar with this gun, what they have, and what changes they would make.

Regards,
    Josh

I have the Glock night sights on a 19 and find them hard to see at some indoor ranges. I would like to find sights that would show up better.

I put Meprolights on both my Glocks. Old eyes really needed them.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Will hold out for a bit till ordering. Feel that this is a large part of my decision, wanting to get it right the 1st time.

About a month ago,i got a glock 26 with factory night sights.They are well worth the extra money,and are super bright.I would get them,then when you get the gun its good to go.They look pretty rugged too,front one is screwed on not staked on.

I have a variety of different night sights on my pisols. I would recomend the Meprolights - they appear to have the largest white space of any of the others. (trijicon, glock and sig lights)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

All of my Glocks (19, 23, 36) came with standard sights. I installed Meprolight Night Sights on all of them. I'm very happy with the Meps...they are much more visible (day and night) than Trijicons IMO.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I have a G17 with regular stock sights, a G17 with a Warren Tactical Rear and a Heinie front (tritium in the front only), and a G26 with Glock night sights.

My suggestion is to order your gun with regular stock sights and then get something else completely. I did not realize how much I disliked the Glock sights until I'd shot with my Warren Tacticals for a while. I also shoot better with the Warrens. I'm in the process of putting Warrens on the G17 that still has stock sights, but this time I'm got tritium in the rear sight also. Hopefully the G26 will receive upgrades withing the next year or so. I really love these sights. If I couldn't have the Warrens, I'd get Heinie rear sights or maybe some of the 10-8 sights that I recently found out about.

As for the others that have been mentioned (Meprolights, Trijicons, etc), to me they all appear very very similar to the standard Glock night sights. If they offer some advantange over Glock night sights, it's not immediately apparent to me based on my very limited experience.

Tru Glo TFOs. They are fiber optic and tritium. Tritium for night time and fiber optic for day time. They glow just as bright during the day as they do at night.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have not used any of the sights you are looking at, but used the std glock sights for many years. I now have the big dots on my G19 and like them. No issue with hang ups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links