Defensive Carry banner

Glock night sights

7K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  ramrunnr 
#1 ·
In about a month, I'll be buying a Glock 23. It will be ordered and then shipped to a local gunshop. I have three options, regular sights (will be replaced with something else regardless, based upon everything I hear about standard Glock sights), Glock night sights ($52 upgrade), Trijicon sights ($72 upgrade). Please chime in on these sights if you have them. This gun will be my EDC, so if they affect holster options, etc, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Regards,
Josh

#2 ·
I have a mixture on my Glocks, but don't discount the standard bucket style sights there are many people who like them, I have one with the Glock night sites but don't like them as much because the dots are small. If your younger than me and you probably are this might not be a problem. I would get the standard bucket sight and practice with it for a while. You can always upgrade later.

#3 ·
All my Glocks have regular ole' Trijicons...I really like them for these old eyes.:yup::wave:

#5 ·
I'm not a fan of night sights. For me, they're harder to see in daylight conditions, and I think their actual usefullness is overstated. I'm sure that will generate a lot of comments, but with my eyes, that's how I feel. But if you think you want them, get them.

I don't know what the alleged problem with the standard sights is; I've never heard of anyone knocking them off unless maybe they tossed their gun out the car window at 60+ mph. in that case, all bets are off with any sights.

I do feel that the white dot/outline sights (regardless of maker) tend to disappear against light-colored backgrounds. I remedied that on my G30 with a careful dab of Dayglo-Orange enamel model paint. That will do for me until all the BGs take to wearing Dayglo-Orange hoodies!

Another option I'll look into is a Red Dot sight. Just read a nice article in the latest "American Handgunner."

#29 ·
Well, most of the training sites I've been to or talked to people from have stated that when you're using a night sight during the day you should use it like you would iron sights. Line them up without looking for dots. Front post mostly.

To the OP, I use Glock Night Sites on all of my Glocks. Never an issue at all. They use the same vials as Trijicon with slightly smaller white circles around the tridium dot. I have heard that the finish on their night sites is the same tennifer as they use on the slide. I've never read this though to confirm.

#6 ·
My point of reference is from "Gun World" March 2010 Vol 51 #3. An article entitled "Get Yhe Most From Your Glock". The author replaced his stock sights with a XS Big Dot up front, and a Novak Half Ghost ring rear. Looking at my options, I'm not sure that one of the ones listed (glock ns, trijicon) would be better. Again, just looking for I put from people familiar with this gun, what they have, and what changes they would make.

Regards,
Josh

#8 ·
I put Meprolights on both my Glocks. Old eyes really needed them.

#11 ·
I have a variety of different night sights on my pisols. I would recomend the Meprolights - they appear to have the largest white space of any of the others. (trijicon, glock and sig lights)

#13 ·
I have a G17 with regular stock sights, a G17 with a Warren Tactical Rear and a Heinie front (tritium in the front only), and a G26 with Glock night sights.

My suggestion is to order your gun with regular stock sights and then get something else completely. I did not realize how much I disliked the Glock sights until I'd shot with my Warren Tacticals for a while. I also shoot better with the Warrens. I'm in the process of putting Warrens on the G17 that still has stock sights, but this time I'm got tritium in the rear sight also. Hopefully the G26 will receive upgrades withing the next year or so. I really love these sights. If I couldn't have the Warrens, I'd get Heinie rear sights or maybe some of the 10-8 sights that I recently found out about.

As for the others that have been mentioned (Meprolights, Trijicons, etc), to me they all appear very very similar to the standard Glock night sights. If they offer some advantange over Glock night sights, it's not immediately apparent to me based on my very limited experience.

#14 ·
Tru Glo TFOs. They are fiber optic and tritium. Tritium for night time and fiber optic for day time. They glow just as bright during the day as they do at night.

#15 ·
I have not used any of the sights you are looking at, but used the std glock sights for many years. I now have the big dots on my G19 and like them. No issue with hang ups.

#16 ·
I'm a firm believer in Warren sights. They are rugged, have a notch for one handed racking, and have a nice, thin front sight for precision.

The Ashley Express (big Dot) sights are in my opinion, silly. If you practice your presentation you don't need them, and if you like to shoot groups or need more deviation control on a hard shot, you can't use them. As an alternative to the big dot, you could just mount a softball through the front sight hole.

Night sights are okay. I have them on a couple of guns because i bought them used and they had them on the gun. They are Meps and Triji, and are pretty decent. I don't view them as a necessity on a defensive pistol in any way, shape, or form.

Flat out, if it's too dark to see yoursights, it's too dark to see the target and you shouldn't be shooting. If it's light enough to see the target it's light enough to see the sights and you don't need them. Put the money into a little Fenix light instead--you'll be better off, IMHO.

#20 ·
Night sights are okay... I don't view them as a necessity on a defensive pistol in any way, shape, or form.

Flat out, if it's too dark to see yoursights, it's too dark to see the target and you shouldn't be shooting. If it's light enough to see the target it's light enough to see the sights and you don't need them. Put the money into a little Fenix light instead--you'll be better off, IMHO.
My thoughts exactly. What good are little glowing dots if you can't see the target?

#17 ·
I've got TFOs on all my Glocks. You will save a few bucks ordering Glock or Trijicon sights from the factory, but I don't think there's much difference between brands of plain 3 dot sights.

#19 ·
The Glock night sights are good to go far as I'm concerned. Best deal getting them with purchase. Comparable to Meprolights which I think are the best. My wife's G26 sports the Glock NS. +1

#21 ·
I have a G23 with the Glock stock night sights. They are great, gives good sight picture at the range, day or night shooting and I think its well worth the upgrade. It will be cheaper in the long run if you buy the gun with the sights and can haggle the price down, you will pay more if you buy aftermarket sights later.

#22 ·
I have Glock night sights on all of my Glocks. As mentioned they are meprolights. I had trijicons on my Glocks in the past and they were good. However, I find the Glock nights sights are easier to pick up in a sight picture.

I would get the Glock night sights.

Good luck.

#23 ·
I bought my G26 with factory night sites. I like them so much I've added night sites to my G23 and I'm upgrading all my guns with night sites. My way of thinking, when it's bright out you can easily see the shape of the sights. No need for a glow, which they don't by the way. They only glow in the dark. When it's dark and you can't see the shape of the sights, you can see these wonderful little dots. I find in action shooting the front sight pops right out. I don't time myself but I'm confident I can do considerably faster sighting, in action shooting, with the night sights.

Well worth the added costs, and generally if you order the gun with the night sites you end up paying less in the long run than adding them later.

#28 ·
Here is another vote for Tru-Glo's TFOs. I have them on 3 of my Glocks and will replace the others with TFO sights as they fade out. They absolutley jump out in natural light and really shine in the dark as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.