New Springfield GI

This is a discussion on New Springfield GI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GM Do you refer to that about sleeping with the handbook under the pillow or that you are a huge 1911 fan? ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Springfield GI

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Do you refer to that about sleeping with the handbook under the pillow or that you are a huge 1911 fan?
    Huge fan.
    That sounds very good! Hopefully it should not end costing as much as a real WWII USGI M1911A1. Did you ever check if it would be too expensive to do?
    It wouldn't cost anywhere near 2K, but no, I never really checked prices. I did it to a SA-GI and used spare USGI parts that I had on hand. Replaced trigger with a machined one piece checkered USGI, replaced the small hammer with a late war narrow spur, replaced the cast thumb safety with a USGI, replaced the cast slide stop with a checkered USGI, replaced the ILS mainspring housing with a late war 8 rib Remington-Rand, replaced the baby poop brown stocks that came on it with a set of late W.W.II Ithaca's, made by Keyes Fibre Co.

You use to be able to buy the USGI style thumb safety at Auto-Ordnance 1911 Pistols, and the USGI stocks can be bought at Simpson Ltd./Original 1911A1 stocks.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Huge fan. It wouldn't cost anywhere near 2K, but no, I never really checked prices. I did it to a SA-GI and used spare USGI parts that I had on hand. Replaced trigger with a machined one piece checkered USGI, replaced the small hammer with a late war narrow spur, replaced the cast thumb safety with a USGI, replaced the cast slide stop with a checkered USGI, replaced the ILS mainspring housing with a late war 8 rib Remington-Rand, replaced the baby poop brown stocks that came on it with a set of late W.W.II Ithaca's, made by Keyes Fibre Co.

You use to be able to buy the USGI style thumb safety at Auto-Ordnance 1911 Pistols, and the USGI stocks can be bought at Simpson Ltd./Original 1911A1 stocks.
    Holy smoke, that was a sweet piece!
    Please OD, I recently got a 1911 that I “absolutely needed” and now you make me realize that I also ”need” other one

I have been looking at the Springfield GI for a long time now, and I think that it would make a nice project gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

When I got out of the military I bought a Springfield Milspec. Never had a problem out of it and it has been 10 yrs now. Also, keep it stock, maybe have the feed ramp polished and in 10 years put some Wolf Springs in (what I need to do) and be done with it. It's a combat pistol, not super tight, it rattles, so the sand and muck can move around...lol. Good Choice...Also, I will say this...run Wilson mags.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Please OD, I recently got a 1911 that I “absolutely needed” and now you make me realize that I also ”need” other one

I have been looking at the Springfield GI for a long time now, and I think that it would make a nice project gun.
    Project Gun...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

OD*
    Thank you Sir.

I'm afraid they are a lifetime addiction.

~ Tiger McKee

Put about 50 rds. through the GI yesterday. About 500 rds. through 5 guns we carried to the range. The Springfiled performed flawlessly as I expected it too.

BTW, what I picked up when I also got the Springfield was a original WWI Colt 1911, or it was suppose to have been all original. Turns out the frame was WWI (1918), everything else was WWII except a cheap replacement mag and the gun had a recent refinish on it. After working with the seller, I've decided to keep this one as a shooter. About 50rds. went down it's barrel yesterday too and this piece was a pleasure to shoot. The weight, heft and feel is not matched with the Springfield. These old guns are pretty hard to duplicate. Anyway, here's a pic of her (click for larger pic).

You can see many more pictures of it at The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - 1918 Colt 1911 help needed (picture heavy).

they are a nice gun but the GI sights arent that great

Hey, I had two 1911s, a Springer Mil-Spec and a Kimber Ultra Carry II...I just sold the Ultra Carry...the Mil-Spec will stay with me forever!
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

info on this 1911

1911.jpg19112.jpg wanna know what people think of this and what it might be worth

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1992 View Post
    1911.jpg19112.jpg wanna know what people think of this and what it might be worth
    It appears to be a Colt Series 70, but without clearer pictures, it would be hard to value it.

~ Tiger McKee

k ill try to get a better picture those are not the original grips i know that i found those in my dads stash ha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links