Ruger LCR Question

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to light weight and smooth trigger this snubbie looks very appealing. Some fellows at the range today said this is not an appropriate gun ...

Thread: Ruger LCR Question

Ruger LCR Question

Due to light weight and smooth trigger this snubbie looks very appealing. Some fellows at the range today said this is not an appropriate gun to put lots of rounds through at the range, even standard pressure. Is there enough history to the LCR to know whether it will hold up to running thousands of standard .38 rounds through it or whether it is best to not bang away with it? What is Ruger's warranty policy? Looks like Ruger has had recalls on several pistols and I understand barrel alienment issues with some SP-101s.

2. Remove Ads

I would contact Ruger and ask them.

I havent had any issues with my SP101s or the LCR revolvers. Best Manufacture around in firearms is Ruger as far as I have owned them and will keep them and be buried with them. richgp100z

I want to say Ruger put 10,000 rounds through one with out any problems. I own one and don't have any reservations about the longevity, if something goes wrong Ruger will make it right.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

I shoot my LCR regularly, likely 3K rounds out the snout at this point. I don't worry one bit about it.

I've owned many snub revolvers over the years, but once I experienced the fantastic trigger on this little Ruger, I was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
    I shoot my LCR regularly, likely 3K rounds out the snout at this point. I don't worry one bit about it.

I've owned many snub revolvers over the years, but once I experienced the fantastic trigger on this little Ruger, I was sold.
    yep. I picked one up and dry fired it-LUST

Talking I fired the LCR

I fired the Ruger LCR at the range Friday and it hurt but not as bad as the S&W . Ten rounds was all I could endure than I went back to my Ruger GP100. After I get my CCW ( going to class tomorrow) I plan to buy the LCR but not for target practice.

VIP Member
    There may have been reported issues with the LCR, but that can be expected with any new model during it's first year of production. Ruger will make it right if there's a problem... I love my SP-101...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I taught a class this week with a mother (67) and daughter (44) who both had brand new LCRs. The elder had an old hand, wrist, and arm injury. They were shooting Blazer aluminum and neither had an issue with the recoil. The mother shot really well, especially considering she had never fired before and the injuries.

I'm not impressed with Ruger's quality control. It's one brand that I wouldn't want to have serial number 2 on anything I had.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have heard of reports on other forums of flame cutting on the top strap of the LCR's. I have some interest in the LCR but I'm going to wait until I see how they are going to hold up.

Smile

We have an LCR and it has been fine. Like any lightweight revolver you can feel the shot in your hands, but not as bad as many. This is a close range "get out of my space" gun not a range gun. It has done well for us so far and I would not hesitate to purchase another if the opportunity arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    I have heard of reports on other forums of flame cutting on the top strap of the LCR's. I have some interest in the LCR but I'm going to wait until I see how they are going to hold up.
    Take a look at the 6th post down in the thread in this link. Ruger LCR Anyone own?
    I've had no problems with my LCR and I think it is a wonderful weapon.
    Like others state. If anything were to arise, Ruger would make it right.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Take a look at the 6th post down in the thread in this link. Ruger LCR Anyone own?
    I've had no problems with my LCR and I think it is a wonderful weapon.
    Like others state. If anything were to arise, Ruger would make it right.
    thanks good info.

Thanks all for the replies.

Im calling BS on the "guys at the range" they dont know what they are talking about. They just had some stuff on that in one of the gun mags or on TV I cant remember if I read or saw it. But they were talking about the new polymer framed revolvers..they ran a TON or rounds through one and tested it for structural integrity after words(like 10,000 rounds or some such) and it had not changed from new. They said the Polymer guns would shoot "softer" then metal framed ones because the polymer has recoil absorbing properties metal does not. So in conclusion id RATHER have the LCR over a metal framed one..softer shooting, better trigger, great integrity/longevity.

Links