I'm a "cheap gun" guy - Page 2

I'm a "cheap gun" guy

This is a discussion on I'm a "cheap gun" guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry a PA63 everyday. i have had it for many years, its has had alot of rounds through without a probelm. (after i found ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a "cheap gun" guy

i carry a PA63 everyday. i have had it for many years, its has had alot of rounds through without a probelm. (after i found what it likes). cant remeber the exact price, but was under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I'm sort of a $500 and under gun guy myself. Just can't cough up a G for a gun...yet.
    There's a bunch of us in that 'club'.

.....And to the OP, there ain't one thing wrong with those sidearms.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Reliability is my aim..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I got my 85 new for under $300 and it never failed me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I just like an American made quality firearm at an affordable price....Kel-tecs and Rugers fit the bill.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    There's a big difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive."
    Inexpensive is a good firearm at a low price. "Cheap" will crap out on you when you least expect it.
    I buy inexpensive guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If it's good , it's good. I own Sigs, S&w,and colts. I also own Tauruses. They all work well and have never given any trouble. Cost is not always a indication of dependability.

I have decided this year to keep any gun purchases under $600.00, you can find a lot of nice used guns between $450.00 and $600.00 if you just keep your eyes open. There are even some quality new guns out there for good prices. Last month I picked up an Israeli made Bul Ltd. Cherokee (FS) , love it........... for $459.00, well made semi auto for a great price.

I have a Taurus Ultra Lite. It is the lightest gun I own. On my post office scale it weighs in at 12 ounces loaded. The Kel Tec PF9 weighs 12.7 ounces unloaded. Even the Sig P238 weighs 15 ounces empty. So for ease of carry, great trigger, it is well worth the money. 38 special has done the job for many years. I did replace the grip with a j-frame grip so I could get all three fingers on. It is snappy, being it's so light.

To me 'cheap' means they don't work. If they work as designed and are reliable, I can't see calling them cheap. Their effective.

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    I'm betting they'll get the job done.
    Yes, you are.

TGC
    I own a SA Mil-Spec .45, a Taurus 627 .357, a Bersa Thunder DLX .380, and a Rossi 462 .357...all under $500 (some way under) and all have performed flawlessly. I also own a Kimber Ultra Carry II...well over $500...at first it was great, then it went south on me and had continuous FTF problems. I'm not saying all Kimbers do this...obviously they don't, all I'm saying is price doesn't always equal zero problems. And to me paying an extra $200 because a weapon has a S and a W stamped on the side is crazy...but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Still waiting on my CHL but these will be my "go to" guns for carry.

EAA Witness Compact in .45 ACP
    Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special with Crimson Trace
    Taurus Model 85 .38 Special
    American Derringer .45 LC / 2 1/2" .410

They're not Smiths or Colts or Glocks but I'm betting they'll get the job done.
    Recognizing that you are not the ones posting a $500 or $600 limit for "inexpensive not cheap" gun purchases.... my own gun researching and purchasing recently has led me to believe that you could get your hands on a great Smith or Colt or Glock (or two out of the three) for under $500.

Case in point: The new in box S&W 442/642 is going for $480 pretty much everywhere, but we were able to get one for just $380, new in box.

The Colt (which were you referring to?) we recently bought a beat up but still in excellent functional shape Colt Official Police for $125. We went straight to the range with it and shot 50 rounds through it without a hitch, and so accurate my partner thought he might want to enter competitions just to show that old dogs still can do tricks.

My Glock shopping showed me that if you are willing to dicker at a gun show or put up with purchasing online at auction, you can very very easily get exactly the model you are looking for, used, well under the $400 price point including tax (if applicable), shipping, and FFL fees.

With actual purchases made in the last 30 days, we got both a Colt and a Smith under $500. We got both a Colt and a Glock under $500-$600. I have seen but not purchased used Smith's in the under $350 range in the last month.

So... I guess my point is just that you can be frugal and still get the good stuff. (that is not me saying I don't think your stuff is good stuff!)
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Have you shot the Witness? Great pistol for the price.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

Shooting the Witness...

hahahaha I realize you are probably referring to the 442 and not to the boyfriend, but I loved it just the same.

The nib 442 has not yet arrived. Still waiting on that one!

I have shot 1100 rounds through the Glock (still needs a name. I'm thinking maybe Horatio? or maybe Misty the Wonder Gun?) and am totally in love. The Colt I've shot and frankly I hate the thing. There's a long story there that includes my accurate but uber-slow shots, issues with grips which needed a hammer to remove, replacement $8 grips that are butt ugly and not better for my hands, and basically I'm just glad that the gun was bought by himself with his own money and that it's a pleasure to him. The battle of getting it to a place where it could be used by me in a jam is not yet over)

I can't wait to shoot the 442. I purchased it for him (he gave me the money), but I have been entertaining fantasies of breaking up with him by handing him a check for the money and keeping the gun. (I'm sure, it would be over if I did so. For that gun, for that price.... nah. I'll keep the guy. Specially since I can still, I'm sure, shoot the gun.)

I did get the opportunity to shoot one local gun salesman's personal 642 centennial airweight. It was a beaut.

merischino
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    When I think of "cheap gun", I think of the Lorcin .380 I use as a paperweight...
    I had one many many years ago. That thing was not worth it's scrap price.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links