I'm a "cheap gun" guy

This is a discussion on I'm a "cheap gun" guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by merischino Recognizing that you are not the ones posting a $500 or $600 limit for "inexpensive not cheap" gun purchases.... my own ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a "cheap gun" guy

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Recognizing that you are not the ones posting a $500 or $600 limit for "inexpensive not cheap" gun purchases.... my own gun researching and purchasing recently has led me to believe that you could get your hands on a great Smith or Colt or Glock (or two out of the three) for under $500...
    >
    >
    ...So... I guess my point is just that you can be frugal and still get the good stuff. (that is not me saying I don't think your stuff is good stuff!)
    Agreed, how about an HK USP-40 used but LNIB (case) w/4mags for $550

Been yearning for something like this for years, found the opportunity and just had to jump on it. Sold the SW40VE to finance it, but it stayed in the family.
    Happy!-Happy!-Happy!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

If "cheap" is defined as >$500, then I'm in there with ya, except for known junk brands. Previously owned is a good option. Been looking at the police trade-ins, but the over-time is wearing me out.

I tend to stick in the $500 to $600 range since the bulk of the pistols I'm looking for are in that range. I'd never spend $1k+ for a carry gun; just doesn't make sense to me. God forbid you ever had to draw/fire to defend/protect yourself and the pistol got confiscated, I'd expect it to be engraved with the incident/case number, forever marring the pretty looks. I wouldn't have a problem replacing a $500-$600 pistol, but not a $1000.

I tend to look for reliability, form, function, durability, etc. and the $500-$600 range seems like the sweet spot for all of that IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho1 View Post
    I have decided this year to keep any gun purchases under $600.00, you can find a lot of nice used guns between $450.00 and $600.00 if you just keep your eyes open. There are even some quality new guns out there for good prices. Last month I picked up an Israeli made Bul Ltd. Cherokee (FS) , love it........... for $459.00, well made semi auto for a great price.
    Hey Psycho1, do the Bul's take the CZ or EAA mag? I prefer the CZ style action/design and the Cherokee looks pretty good, but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of magazines for it because it just a little different.

reasonable, not cheap

I have two Rock Island 1911's that were inexpensive but absolutely great firearms.

In the past I have Jennings and Hi-Points and although most would classify them as "Cheap", they worked well and are still in use by my sons, and they've had no problems with them.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Some1Any1 View Post
    Have you shot the Witness? Great pistol for the price.
    Yeah, I've had the Witness for quite awhile and have been really happy with it. I think I paid like $320.00 or so when I bought it new about 10-12 years ago.

The Taurus 85 was $260.00 and I was going to put some Wolff springs in it, but I don't know that they would improve it any as it has a sweet double action pull.

The Charter is new to me. I had an old one years ago and OK. I've got Wolff springs on order and hopefully they'll lighten up the double action on this. This is my first set of Crimson Trace grips and I think I'm going to like them. I'm going to take it out in the front yard in the next day or 2 and see how it shoots.

Ive been looking at a Springfield EMP for $1200.00. Ended up getting a cheap Glock 27 for $500.00.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Agreed, how about an HK USP-40 used but LNIB (case) w/4mags for $550

Been yearning for something like this for years, found the opportunity and just had to jump on it. Sold the SW40VE to finance it, but it stayed in the family.
    Happy!-Happy!-Happy!
    that's an excellent deal. How is it?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    When I think of "cheap gun", I think of the Lorcin .380 I use as a paperweight...
    Now don't start on Lorcin (lol). When I got my first permit prior to going into the military a Lorcin .380 kept me safe traveling back country roads. That thing went bang every time at the range and always where I put it. When I came home from basic training, I blew taps for it and destroyed it except for the slide of which I still have. Oh the memories.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyota Mike View Post
    Definitely nothing wrong with that. So as long as it shoots without failures. I picked up a used Sig P6 for 270 dollars and it's one of my favorite guns. I think it would shoot rocks if needed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I never buy a "cheap" gun. I buy inexpensive preowned guns all the time........there is a big difference in cheap (as in cheaply made) and inexpensive (as in a bargin find).
    ^^^^^^I'm in this camp on this one^^^^^^^

I can't bring myself to spend big bucks on a handgun.
    $580 for my M&P9c.
    A lot in my book, but considering what it bought, it will do as much as a $1000-$2000 pistol will, and probably better

Lily Tomlin:
    Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You may buy a cheap .25 caliber Galesi, like I did, a damn jammer that was made and meant to be a throw-away Mafia gun, not meant for long-term self defense or CCW or fun.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The cost of the guns is fairly small compared to the ammo I shoot through it! Quality firearms keep their value too as long as you do your part!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    I just like an American made quality firearm at an affordable price....Kel-tecs and Rugers fit the bill.
    As does Charter Arms.

Wow, I didn't realize at first that the derringer was a 45. I bet that sucker really jumps when you pull the trigger!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    that's an excellent deal. How is it?
    I put 120 rounds through it Saturday before last (6th). Fabulous! shoots like a dream. I'm loving it!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I tend to stick in the $500 to $600 range since the bulk of the pistols I'm looking for are in that range. I'd never spend $1k+ for a carry gun; just doesn't make sense to me. God forbid you ever had to draw/fire to defend/protect yourself and the pistol got confiscated, I'd expect it to be engraved with the incident/case number, forever marring the pretty looks. I wouldn't have a problem replacing a $500-$600 pistol, but not a $1000.

I tend to look for reliability, form, function, durability, etc. and the $500-$600 range seems like the sweet spot for all of that IMHO.
    I find this quote really puzzling. If you were forced to defend yourself, and perhaps kill another human being, I doubt you'd be sitting around worried about the additional $400 you shelled out for the gun now in police custody.

You may very well be burning up your entire accumulated wealth simply to defend your actions in court, and you get to live with the fact you killed someone - dirtbag or not. You may also be facing a civil suit from relatives of the deceased.

If your Kimber, Wilson, or Ed Brown just saved your life and you never get it back, it was still the best money you ever spent.

The $1200 Kimber I carry is not a museum piece. It's a tool. Just like a tool, it gets nicks, scratches and wear marks for being my constant companion. It's well-loved and treated well. When it wears out, I may well get another.

Each of us draws the line somewhere. For me, it's simply a prudent investment. YMMV.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links