I'm a "cheap gun" guy

This is a discussion on I'm a "cheap gun" guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac I find this quote really puzzling. If you were forced to defend yourself, and perhaps kill another human being, I doubt ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a "cheap gun" guy

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I find this quote really puzzling. If you were forced to defend yourself, and perhaps kill another human being, I doubt you'd be sitting around worried about the additional $400 you shelled out for the gun now in police custody.

You may very well be burning up your entire accumulated wealth simply to defend your actions in court, and you get to live with the fact you killed someone - dirtbag or not. You may also be facing a civil suit from relatives of the deceased.

If your Kimber, Wilson, or Ed Brown just saved your life and you never get it back, it was still the best money you ever spent.

The $1200 Kimber I carry is not a museum piece. It's a tool. Just like a tool, it gets nicks, scratches and wear marks for being my constant companion. It's well-loved and treated well. When it wears out, I may well get another.

Each of us draws the line somewhere. For me, it's simply a prudent investment. YMMV.
    I never mentioned anything about a wrongful shooting. What I was saying is I don't understand why someone would use a $1200 item for a purpose (self defense) that a $500-$600 item would do just as well. In other words, why use a $50 hammer when a $12 hammer will sink the nail just as well. Heck, the $12 hammer could possibly do it better; just depends on the design, but I guarantee there will be those who buy the $50 hammer just because of a name or the cost.

2. Remove Ads

Thankfully, I've mostly accumulated my usin' and totin' guns long ago. Never much went in for cheap or even mid grade guns. With good maintenance the "top drawer" guns last and last and never give mechanical troubles.

I do have a Kel Tec P3AT which is pretty cheapo in my view. It had teething problems too but now runs fine. It fills a niche for hiding when nothing larger will do but I carry it as little as possible.

One really great value out there in the gun world is the Rock Island rendition of the 1911. My youngest son bought one of these. It exhibits good internal finish, good tolerances, and has proved to be accurate and dependable. It is closer to my notion of what a proper 1911 should be than the super pricey customs. I have a pleasingly accurate Colt Series 70 Gold Cup and the Rock Island gun groups almost as well as it does. Beside my son's Rock Island I have a friend who has had one for a few years. Both examples have pretty nice triggers, are quite accurate, and have given good service so far.

The Rock Island and the Gold Cup on a father and son .45 ACP outing.

Clowning around, making a "retro" photograph when my son was home on boot leave last Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    why use a $50 hammer when a $12 hammer will sink the nail just as well. Heck, the $12 hammer could possibly do it better; just depends on the design, but I guarantee there will be those who buy the $50 hammer just because of a name or the cost.
    For the same reason someone will drive to church in a Lexus when a KIA (or a bicycle) would get him there for a lot less money.

For the same reason someone will drive to church in a Lexus when a KIA (or a bicycle) would get him there for a lot less money.
    True so true. I'm not the Lexus type myself. I'm cheap most of the time. My nice 3/4 ton pickup (that is paid for) sits in the driveway unless I need to tow, haul, or go off road. I drive a little nissan Sentra to church and town. (34 mpg).

I own 2 Rock Island .45s, I carry a Taurus Revolver. (Thus far utter reliability after many many rounds)

I also got a steal on a Sig P6. (Most accurate centerfire hangun I have ever had in my hand even better than the S&Ws I have owned)

My beater shotguns are Mossberg and Winchester.(paid about $200 for the Win, and $175 for the Mossy with 2 barrels)

My Bolt rifles are Savages. (About $300, all shoot sub moa)

I once saw a man win a sporting clays tournament with an old hammer style Winchester pump gun. He beat the guys with the $7,000 Kreighoffs and such. On that day I confirmed for myself what I had always really known. Its not the gun, its the guy behind it.

That being said, if it aint 100% deependable I will not own it. It will be gone at first chance. But if it is dependable, accurate etc. I dont care whose name is printed on it.

Now I do have some pretty expensive shotguns for clays games and bird hunting, but that doesn't mean they are better than any others, they are just pretty and nice to own. In fact I score just as good with a used Rem 1100 that I picked up at a gunshow for around $300, as I score with my Winchester Supreme Sporting or my Brownings which are worth $1000 each or more. I guess shotguns are my "Lexus" area.

People should own whatever they want to spend their money on, however I do get somewhat miffed at times by the gun snob attitude that many have in regard to their high priced brands. I feel better usually after I outshoot them with my "cheapies."
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    People should own whatever they want to spend their money on, however I do get somewhat miffed at times by the gun snob attitude that many have in regard to their high priced brands. I feel better usually after I outshoot them with my "cheapies."
    Amen!

Yeah, I know a guy at my church that can barely make the mortgage and hardly has any furniture in his home, but he has a Cadillac SUV in the driveway. I'm not one of those either. I'd rather have money in the bank.

I won't mention any more about it as this is not what the thread was about. I apologize for hijacking.

colt compact pre obama 450 plus tax--used but hardly. made a pact with myself. to buy--named gun in excellent shape at a price i can recoup or make $$ if i decide to sell. so far--my method is intact and goals achieved. buy quality, use it and you will never go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I won't mention any more about it as this is not what the thread was about. I apologize for hijacking.
    Hey, it's a fun discussion...... You made some very sound points. We're all just chattin', anyway...

I can say with authority that the Witness line are not cheap, well made, dependable, great bang for the buck firearms.

I once saw a man win a sporting clays tournament with an old hammer style Winchester pump gun. He beat the guys with the $7,000 Kreighoffs and such. On that day I confirmed for myself what I had always really known. Its not the gun, its the guy behind it.
    That being said, if it aint 100% deependable I will not own it. It will be gone at first chance. But if it is dependable, accurate etc. I dont care whose name is printed on it.
    Copy That ...

Compact
    Highly
    Effective
    Automatic
    Pistol
    From the old HiPoint forum
    Life is too short to be serious!

I'm an "inexpensive" gun guy but for the same money I tend to go for a slightly higher end gun used rather than a lower end gun new. I figure that a quality gun should pretty much last a lifetime so I might as well let someone else put the first few scratches on it.

And once we die, and hopefully reach heaven, God won't judge us based upon what we drove or what we carried.

Quote Originally Posted by sdailey5 View Post
    And once we die, and hopefully reach heaven, God won't judge us based upon what we drove or what we carried.
    Wrong! Dante pointed out in his The Divine Comedy that getting into heaven is one thing, which "circle" of heaven you reside in is another.

I firmly believe that there is a place in heaven reserved for us Glock owners.

M
    (j/k)
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Wrong! Dante pointed out in his The Divine Comedy that getting into heaven is one thing, which "circle" of heaven you reside in is another.

I firmly believe that there is a place in heaven reserved for us Glock owners.

M
    (j/k)
    Will you promise to stay there and leave the rest of us alone?

hahaha, I think "have gun will travel" must surely apply up there. I you have multiple guns of multiple breeds, probably you can mix and mingle. Glock, S&W, 1911 clones, old Colt Fogeys, you name it.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links