I'm a "cheap gun" guy

I'm a "cheap gun" guy

This is a discussion on I'm a "cheap gun" guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still waiting on my CHL but these will be my "go to" guns for carry. EAA Witness Compact in .45 ACP Charter Arms Bulldog Pug ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a "cheap gun" guy

I'm a "cheap gun" guy

Still waiting on my CHL but these will be my "go to" guns for carry.

EAA Witness Compact in .45 ACP
    Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special with Crimson Trace
    Taurus Model 85 .38 Special
    American Derringer .45 LC / 2 1/2" .410

They're not Smiths or Colts or Glocks but I'm betting they'll get the job done.
    Attached Images

Nothing wrong with that. I'm sort of a $500 and under gun guy myself. Just can't cough up a G for a gun...yet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Definitely nothing wrong with that. So as long as it shoots without failures. I picked up a used Sig P6 for 270 dollars and it's one of my favorite guns. I think it would shoot rocks if needed!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I never buy a "cheap" gun. I buy inexpensive preowned guns all the time........there is a big difference in cheap (as in cheaply made) and inexpensive (as in a bargin find).
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I never buy a "cheap" gun. I buy inexpensive preowned guns all the time........there is a big difference in cheap (as in cheaply made) and inexpensive (as in a bargin find).
    another one hear if you look just right you can find a good deal on a very nice used gun.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

When I think of "cheap gun", I think of the Lorcin .380 I use as a paperweight...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    I'm dead set against "cheap" guns. However I have no problem at all with an inexpensive gun. The Witness, Pug and 85 will serve you well. Not a big fan of derringers, but to each their own.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Im the same way..I just cant afford guns over $500 just cant do it...sometime here in the semi near future im due some $$$ and I may use some of that to get my "once in a lifetime" gun that I will be willing to spend up to $1,000 on...I am so unfamiliar with that realm of guns that I dont even know where to begin..and yeah I will probably never again have that kind of $$ to spend on a gun so it honestly will be a once in a lifetime type deal for me to finally get a gun over $500 lol...I dont know if I would want a nice 1911,nice wheel gun(semi competition type in .357 mag), a AR platform, a M1 Garand,a Beretta storm,some 9mm carbine of some kind,a Savage accu trigger bolt action varmint gun, a Ruger No1 varmint gun, a HKP7, just so much to choose from lol.

Im like you though I have had numerous guns but not any have cost me over $450 Ive had

Taurus PT99 (great full size gun i actually got this OVER the Beretta because I like where its controls are better) (was $250 used)

Taurus CH85 (great little snubnose..currently my "alternate" CC gun) ($225)

Colt Mustang II Nice little "mini 1911" style .380 but I traded it on a varmint rifle/scope combo years ago..not a huge fan of the .380 for SD.($275)

Glock 23 2nd Gen Police trade in great gun as far as functionality..but turned into horrible gun for me because of ergonomics..my hands and big fat grips with a poor grip angle dont mix..but it was 100% dead reliable thats why I suffered and kept it for years as my primary CC gun($400)

Ruger SR9compact My current CC gun. Great little gun just the right size(IMO) for CC just a tad bigger(length) grip than the Glock 26/27 so without a extender I can get my full hand on the grip no hanging off pinky. Slimmer in grip and in slide width than a glock but a noticeable amount..almost(if not exactly or REAL close) 1911 thinness. has ambidextrous controls for safety and mag releases which is nice for righties or lefties...nice option as im right handed but my kid(only 10 but he will learn on this gun) is a lefty.($403 new)

so im the same not a gun(except tax) that was over $403 ever lol.

When my wife and I bought handguns last year, they were our first such purchases. I opted for expensive, well-known types (mine is a P226), as I am not knowledgable enough to go looking for bargains. We wanted tools we could trust, and felt that the rather small investment in new, high quality pieces was justified in this case.

I would feel a bit more comfortable now, but I still like the options of a good warranty, and someone at the shop that will back up the sale with service and advice.

I always liked the Charter Arms, Bulldog .44 spl. I owned one way back when they first came out and to this day I'm sorry I sold it.
    Last edited by Mardet65; March 21st, 2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

los
    If they go bang everytime the trigger's pulled, and punch paper at CQB distances, ..you've invested well.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    When I think of "cheap gun", I think of the Lorcin .380 I use as a paperweight...
    They should have marketed that gun with the Davis P380, there not cheap they are junk guns LOL....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The derringer was an "inheritance thing" although I am going to "buy" it from Mom.

It's a real handful when you touch off a 250 grain Long Colt. I wouldn't want to go looking for trouble just carrying the derringer, but if it became crunch time (and I could get it deployed in time) it would sure suck to be in front of those 2 .45 slugs.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    The way I see it, if they work, their good!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Two inexpensive but well made defensive handguns are the Hungarian PA-63 and Chezk CZ-82. Both fire the 9mm Makarov round and are small enough for CCW carry. Cost is $200 to $250 most places. Both are very reliable.

JERRY

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links