Bersa Thunder .380 Range Report

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder .380 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today was my moms first trip to the range with her new Bersa Thunder .380 The week before we spent about 2 hours at the ...

Thread: Bersa Thunder .380 Range Report

Today was my moms first trip to the range with her new Bersa Thunder .380 The week before we spent about 2 hours at the gun store browsing and handling just about everything they had. The Bersa is what she picked out because of the grip and the sights. Also the price point was right (Even though I offered to pitch in 200.00 on something else). She ended up just liking the way the Bersa felt.

Just as a little back ground. I learned to shoot on a Bersa .380 It was the first gun my dad bought and the one I “cut my teeth on”. Back then (about 20 years ago) I don’t know if it was called the “Thunder” but regardless it’s every bit as good as I remember it being. We put three rounds of various ammo (including reloads) through with no problems.

Pluses are
    -Reliable so far
    -Good Trigger
    -Good Sights
    -Crazy easy to strip and clean
    -Scary accurate
    -Is good for mom because she’s comfortable with .380 and shoots it well

Negatives
    -Only came with one mag (Which I can understand as she paid 329.00 out the door)
    -I had the adjust my grip to keep my thumb off the slide but it fit her smaller hands perfectly

Overall I am pretty impressed. It’s a quality piece and a steal at under 350.00. If you looking for a non pocket .380 carry gun give the Bersa Thunder a shot.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I haven't ever heard anything bad about the Bersa Thunders. I'm glad your mom likes to shoot, my mom's a little bit of a hoplophobe.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I shot a buddy's Thunder 380 the other day and it was sweet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I never thought I would own one until I handled one in the gun shop. I happened to get the thunder Plus (15+1) in .380. I prefer the larger capacity ans slightly larger grips. Never had a problem with mine, just hard finding ammo for it.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Very nice I hope the Bursa serves your mother very well.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Is good for mom because she’s comfortable with .380 and shoots it well
    And THAT'S the bottom line. Carry what you shoot best. My wife and I both have Thunder 380s and we love them. It sorta makes me feel like James Bond when I'm carrying or shooting it. Ours had a few problems until they were broken in, but have been fine since. You're right, it's scary accurate for a short barrel, small caliber semi.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    First gun I ever bought, served me well during my learning phase. Then I grew an appetite for bigger calibers and capacities.

For the money, the Bersas are very good guns. There have been lots of probs with the .380 thunder disconnect springs, but may be getting better. IMO The very best Bersa ever made is the Ultra Compact 9mm. Very reliable, no issues, very accurate and about $370.

My gun buddy and I couldn't decide between buying the Ruger LCP or the bigger Bersa Thunder. We walked back and forth, looking down through the Olde English counter glass at them, holding them and comparing them and sharing them. Finally, my bad companion and older friend said, once again: "LET'S BUY BOTH!" Damn credit cards don't make it hard.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I looked at the Thunder Plus but decided against it as it was bigger than I wanted for a "pocket" gun. So now I'm working on my CZ-82 project gun, which is similar to the Plus in size and caliber. Go figure.

Some Bersas have an issue with the disconnect spring(?) as stated, but I believe it's a fixable problem when it/if it occurs. Pretty hit or miss as to if you'll have the problem. Other than than, the reports are pretty good.

I also "heard" mags are hard to get. That too may have passed.

Good for Mom!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The Thunder is a newer model. Back in the 90's they had numbers for their models. I have a Bersa model 83 that I inherited.

There is a Bersa owners' forum (I forgot the name). They can help you find mag's. if you stay around long enough, the use to give out a code for 10% off.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    IMO The very best Bersa ever made is the Ultra Compact 9mm. Very reliable, no issues, very accurate and about $370.

I have a 9UC and definitely concur with the above statement.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I have a Bersa Thunder I rotate as my EDC. I like it a lot!! Great job to your mom on her selection!!!

Believe it or not they make that in a 15 round version (exclusive for Davidson's)

Sponsored Links