Glock 26 Extraction Problem

This is a discussion on Glock 26 Extraction Problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my brand new Glock 26 to the range today for a bit of fun. It was about 40 degrees, but that also meant there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 Extraction Problem

Took my brand new Glock 26 to the range today for a bit of fun. It was about 40 degrees, but that also meant there were very few people at the range. Despite not shooting it, I've kept it as my CCW gun for the last couple weeks. As I've shot 9mm before, I felt more comfortable with it than my usual .40, which I'm a bit less accurate with. (I do intend to become more accurate with it, though.)

So I get to the range, load up my four mags, and put one in. On the very first shot it doesn't extract properly. Odd.. never had that happen before in ANY handgun I've ever shot. So I'm immediately wondering if something is wrong.

Next shot goes well. Third shot jams in extraction. Casing is jammed a bit differently.

Fourth shot jams. Now I'm wondering.

The rest of that magazine went fine, and I gripped a bit differently, thinking it might be because I was limp wristing it on accident. I only had one misfire the rest of the time (about 120 rounds or so).

I assume, then, that it was because I was limp wristing it. I'm still extremely hesitant to CCW it, though, because I might limp wrist it on accident if I ever get in trouble. I do need to shoot with it more and get more practice, though.

What are your thoughts? Keep CCWing it despite accidentally limp wristing it? Once I had a tighter grip, I was more accurate with it than my .40, in general. But my .40 never had an extraction failure with it.

Another thing I wonder is if the extractions happened with the HP rounds. I mixed in about 4 or 5 extra HP rounds from my 25 round box, and unfortunately this thought didn't occur until at the very end of the range time, and I didn't really want to waste my other HP rounds at almost an doggone dollar per bullet. As they're Remingtons, though, I can't imagine it's the bullets' fault.

Thoughts?

Ox
    Glock- Reliable firearm.
    Remington- Good ammunition.

Maybe you dropped your one mag your using or something and it bent the lip on it a little? That could mess with the feed.

Someone here will be able to help you.
    But yeah, def. practice and work on the grip.
    NRA Member

If there IS a problem with your G26, I would not carry it until it is resolved.

Can you describe what exactly was happening when it failed? Did the case extract from the chamber and stove pipe? Did it not extract from the chamber at all?

Remington HP's, but what about the FMJ's? Factory ammo or reloads?

Anything else you can tell us will help.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You shouldn't carry it until you can shoot it reliably. It might take a trip or two to the range to establish that. If problems continued, You might want to have the gun looked at.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Send it to me with 200 rounds of ammo and I'll test it for ya...

Seriously, it sounds like you just need to spend more time on the range with it. Perhaps take a buddy that is a more skilled shooter and see if he has the same issues.

You stated it is a brand new gun...you might want to take it back to the dealer and have them look it over just to see that there are no obvious flaws.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    You stated it is a brand new gun...you might want to take it back to the dealer and have them look it over just to see that there are no obvious flaws.
    Yeah. Sounds like it could be a manufacturing defect.

IMO if you have problems with your G26 then it probably means something is not assembled or manufactured correctly. I seriously doubt it's your technique. Tons of new shooters have shot mine and none have had an issue.

Take a look at the extractor and see if it is tight and the spring is pushing it properly. Perhaps try different ammo? The G26 shouldn't be ammo sensitive, though.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Yeah. Sounds like it could be a manufacturing defect.

IMO if you have problems with your G26 then it probably means something is not assembled or manufactured correctly. I seriously doubt it's your technique. Tons of new shooters have shot mine and none have had an issue.

Take a look at the extractor and see if it is tight and the spring is pushing it properly. Perhaps try different ammo? The G26 shouldn't be ammo sensitive, though.
    'Concur. The beauty of Glocks is that they shoot every brand, every time, anywhere. If they don't, something is wrong.

Factory "GLOCK" brand magazines?

Factory FMJ ammunition?

Magazine fully inserted into the gun?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

i had the exact same problem.
    I bought a brand new G26 and turned around and walked into the shooting range portion of the gun store. Had 6 jams in 50 rounds.

I took it back up to the manager who had completed my State of Oregon paperwork and had completed the sale.

He broke it down and added a little hoppes lube the slide rails. I took it back to the range and shot 200 additional rounds no issue.

To date roughly 1500 rounds put through it. And the only jams were on day one.

I strongly suggest you learn to field strip and clean the fiream first, before shooting it. Just because it is new in the box does not relieve you of the responibility of ensuring it is ready and capable to do business. Besides then you'll most likely feel better about shooting it.

We just don't know how long tha gun sat in a box buddy so it is hard to say why it did what it did.

You did however mention that you purposely "Limp-wristed" it while firing it. I could only come to the coludision that is why it malfunctioned to begain with.

If you know this behavior will have adverse affects on the firearm, why do it and then complain? I don't understand your motovation.
    Certified Glock Armorer

As another poster mentioned maybe you need to lube it a bit after not using it. I'd try it once more after giving it a cleaning and see if you still have issues. If so, then I'd have it looked at.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    I strongly suggest you learn to field strip and clean the fiream first, before shooting it. Just because it is new in the box does not relieve you of the responibility of ensuring it is ready and capable to do business. Besides then you'll most likely feel better about shooting it.

We just don't know how long tha gun sat in a box buddy so it is hard to say why it did what it did.

You did however mention that you purposely "Limp-wristed" it while firing it. I could only come to the coludision that is why it malfunctioned to begain with.

If you know this behavior will have adverse affects on the firearm, why do it and then complain? I don't understand your motovation.
    Read it again, he said he thinks he was doing it by accident. After adjusting his grip it got better but still not perfect.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Read it again, he said he thinks he was doing it by accident. After adjusting his grip it got better but still not perfect.
    Yep you're absolutely correct It was by accident. Then I say, he should get a revolver in case he may need a gun; just in case he might limp wrist that too.
    Certified Glock Armorer

The routine I take on every gun I purchase handgun or long gun is take it down clean it carefully put it back together and go shoot. No problems with my new G26. Bought in January this year.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Yep you're absolutely correct It was by accident. Then I say, he should get a revolver in case he may need a gun; just in case he might limp wrist that too.
    That means that when you began shooting YOU too had bad habits to correct in order to become proficient right? Don't lie, everyone starts off less than perfect. Stance, grip, hand position, thumb position, trigger pull, follow through etc. You aren't born able to do everything perfectly.

Or is it simply because you're a "Glock Armorer" you really truly believe a Glock is infallible? Let me tell you something, if it's built by man it can fail. Maybe it's 1:1000 odds, but maybe his Glock has a bad extractor for real. Unless you are looking at HIS gun, you don't know. I've seen Glocks fail catastrophically before. From no fault of the shooter.

If the latter is true then this is the problem with Glock fanatics. Glocks might be great weapon systems, but they are very far from perfect. They aren't for everyone either.
    Last edited by HotGuns; March 24th, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: personal attack
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links