Help me select a EDC

This is a discussion on Help me select a EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't go wrong with a G27. I'd also look at the XDSC, if I were you. Also, there's a good chance if you get the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me select a EDC

ntg
    Can't go wrong with a G27. I'd also look at the XDSC, if I were you. Also, there's a good chance if you get the wife sold on the idea of carrying that she's not going to choose the gun that you did. But, that does present the opportunity to own one more gun :).
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

2. Remove Ads

Glock if you can get it, and definately be getting a replacement government for that goofy state that you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I was strongly advised by my Sheriff brother-in-law to stick to .40 or higher, and I highly value his opinion, considering his knowledge and history).
    Rather than reignite the eternal caliber war, I'll just say that it's usually dangerous to go by one person's opinion on things. Seek out other sources of information, see if you can find a logical consensus.

Your brother-in-law may be incredibly knowledgeable and correct on this issue. But don't think it's merely because he's in law enforcement. Everyone on this board can attest to the fact that military or police experience is no immunization against ignorance when it comes to firearms.

I'm happy with my Glocks. But, look at a Kahr & Springfield XD. Why must it be pre 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I'm happy with my Glocks. But, look at a Kahr & Springfield XD. Why must it be pre 1998?
    Probably something silly about high capacity and other crap like trigger pull weight etc, but I was under the impression they made special guns new in box for states that still follow this outdated law. Anyway a .40 might be a bigger bullet but if you cannot shoot it as well as a 9mm then why bother? A 9mm is a definate man stopper if you put the shots where they need to be. A 9mm is also a bit cheaper to shoot, considering ammo costs these days.

As for weapon, a Glock is never a bad choice IMO. The feel will grow on you when you shoot it. Just holding it in the shop isn't the same as being on the range. You might just not like it enough though. So do keep options open and try to shoot as many different guns as you can in both .40SW and 9mm if those are the 2 you would be considering(I would personally unless you are a 1911 guy, then .45ACP comes into play IMO). From there you can make a first hand informed decision based on your experience with each one during range time. The one that you shoot best and can see yourself handling well when the need arises is the right one for you. I can sit here and talk Glock all day to you and tout it's reliability, weight, simplicity, ease of maintenance, aftermarket accessory selection etc. However, if you shoot an M&P 40c better than the Glock 27 then the M&P might be a better buy for you. However, if the M&P 40c just doesn't feel right in your hand you might never truly like shooting it, even if initially you were better with it at the range when you tried it out. So that's why you have to feel them all by firing them if you can. You can always become a better shot with a gun through practice, but you can't really change how a gun feels in your hand. Your hands aren't my hands.

Do remember there's an M&P and there's an M&Pc. The M&Pc is a compact gun. The M&Pc is almost the same size as a Glock 27 which you mentioned was smaller and you felt would be easier to hide (we call it concealment). So, it might be worth a trip back to the shop and examine an M&Pc if the one you looked at was a standard M&P (full size gun). Make sure it's the compact, compare that to the Glock 27 and you might find something more to your liking. It's just a guess from reading your post. As an aside, you can conceal a gun that is larger than a G27. It's all in the holster, belt, and your mindset. Some people are just genuinely more comfortable carrying a smaller firearm, but that isn't to say you have to if you are more comfortable shooting something like a Glock 23(.40SW) or Glock 19(9mm). That's up to you though, you have to be comfortable and if a sub compact gun is all you are comfortable with then it's fine. Better to carry a G27 every day than to leave a hand cannon at home.

Edit: Found some info on the Glock MA availability. None of the new glocks are MA compliant because the MA attorney General did not agree that the "loaded chamber indicator" was good enough to pass the requirements. Even though Glock made specific gun models and sold them in that state for a short period. I have posted 2 links below that detail both the reason for the unavailability of Glock firearms and the guidelines the attorney general uses to determine if a firearm is compliant. Basically Glock did comply with everything they wanted but because the loaded chamber indicator was not good enough for the attorney general, all glock pistols manufactured with "Massachusettes Compliant" labels had to be shipped back to Glock with the purchaser getting a full refund. The information here indicates that it was the loaded chamber indicator that did not pass the inspection. There's a whole ridiculous test they do for every pistol that a manufacturer wants to sell in MA. It's listed on the first link below.

Requirements for the Attorney General of MA to approve a handgun for sale.
    Letter Glock sent to all retailers and dealers.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Basically, all of the big name manufacturers (Glock, Kahr, Springfield...) can't be sold new by a licensed dealer, because they aren't MA compliant. Guns made before 10/21/1998 can be because they are grandfathered in before the whole legislation mess.

Some Sigs (they end in "M", so P239M) can be sold, and the Smith & Wessons M&P can be as well. Walther PPS (9mm only) can be, and after that, it's hit or miss on which ones are available, which ones an individual has for sale (which are exempt from the MA-compliance regulation), and all that trash.

As far as the 9mm/.40 cal debate, my intention was never to start anything like that. I fall on the .40 cal side simply because of the experience my brother-in-law (and family) had with him firing 6 shots into the chest of an attacker and then having his shoulder dislocated by the guy before his partner pulled the suspect off him. Having studied the difference between the two with him a bit, I just fall on the .40 cal side. That's part of the elimination process for me.

The advice has been good so far, and backed up what I thought. I'm going to try to find a G27 built before 10/21/1998, and see if I can get it shipped to my local dealer for a reasonable price.

Basically, all of the big name manufacturers (Glock, Kahr, Springfield...) can't be sold new by a licensed dealer, because they aren't MA compliant. Guns made before 10/21/1998 can be because they are grandfathered in before the whole legislation mess.

Some Sigs (they end in "M", so P239M) can be sold, and the Smith & Wessons M&P can be as well. Walther PPS (9mm only) can be, and after that, it's hit or miss on which ones are available, which ones an individual has for sale (which are exempt from the MA-compliance regulation), and all that trash.

As far as the 9mm/.40 cal debate, my intention was never to start anything like that. I fall on the .40 cal side simply because of the experience my brother-in-law (and family) had with him firing 6 shots into the chest of an attacker and then having his shoulder dislocated by the guy before his partner pulled the suspect off him. Having studied the difference between the two with him a bit, I just fall on the .40 cal side. That's part of the elimination process for me.

The advice has been good so far, and backed up what I thought. I'm going to try to find a G27 built before 10/21/1998, and see if I can get it shipped to my local dealer for a reasonable price.
    I found the exact reason as well as the requirements for the attorney general to approve a handgun for sale. They have to pass a rigorous test and have certain features to make the gun "more safe". I edited my post on the bottom of page 1 with the links if you are curious.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Try the Springfield XD40 sub compact. Comparable to the others you listed, hammerless, single action. Very nice.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would get the Hell out of the peoples republic of MA and buy a new Glock 27. I know... probaly not an option for you, but the G27 is hard to beat.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I recommend taking a look at the new MA Compliant Kahr PM9. Kahr's are thin, making them very easy to conceal, as well as easier for people with smaller hands to hold ( I have the hands of a leprechaun ). I own a P9 myself, and absolutely LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I would get the Hell out of the peoples republic of MA and buy a new Glock 27. I know... probaly not an option for you, but the G27 is hard to beat.
    I agree with all the advice here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree with all the advice here...
    It doesn't snow in FL and you can buy any gun your heart desires
    -Thomas Jefferson

Hey! You guys are making this tough. I don't really like this state as it is, but I live in a nice tiny, relatively level-headed, town that makes me think all of MA can't be that bad. Then I go to Boston for a business trip...

I'm going on vacation to S.C. in April, and it's always a tough time getting back on the plane to come back here. If it weren't for my job, wife, kids, house, motorcyle, car...

But I couldn't move to florida. You guys drive so badly, and use your horns every 13.35 seconds. It drives me nuts.

Try the mountains of Virginia. Gun friendly state, beautiful landscape, simple down-to-earth people, small rural towns, and a good balance of all 4 seasons.

What is the capacity limit of a semi-auto there? I've seen some states that limit it to 10. The XD40sc comes with a 9 round mag (and typically also an extended 12 round mag that could be replaced with another 9 round).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I just got my LTC in MA ...

So, I am looking for a EDC weapon that is easy to conceal, and is a gun that maybe my wife could carry ...

This limits me to 'compact' pistols.

I'd suggest considering the Kahr K9, P9, MK9 or PM9 pistols.

Kahr Arms makes an entire line of pistols that is comparatively easy to conceal. They are the thinnest and flattest firearms made. Ranging in size from largest to smallest for concealment (basically), Kahr makes the K9, P9, CW9, MK9, PM9, P380. Kahr focuses on the .40cal and 9mm calibers, with the P380 being a new offering in .380 ACP.

If you have not yet handled or fired the K9, or P9, it's worth a look. The K9, in particular, might be a very good choice. At ~25oz, it's heavier than many of the polymer pistol options out there, which means you can load it up with the hottest 9mm round and it will easily handle the recoil. The grip ergonomics and grip angle are stellar, being very comfortable. Small to medium sized hands generally like the feel of the Kahr K9. The polymer-framed P9 is, of course, lighter.

The MK9/PM9 series is the sub-compact variants. As with all short-barrel pistols made, these seem to have a greater number of reports of issues, as compared to their larger counterparts (the CW9, P9, K9). But, there are thousands of folks who love them and swear by them. The Kahr pistols are back-up guns for police and sheriff officers across the country, and have been for a long time. Particularly if you get your carry gun tuned and massaged by a gunsmith before carrying it daily (as I would recommend on any carry pistol), you should find the Kahrs to be very good carry pistols.

The P-series guns are the polymer framed guns. The K (as in K9, MK9) is the stainless steel framed gun.

The great thing about the Kahr pistols is that they are very thin. At 0.90", they ride very flat against the body in an IWB or OWB holster. The PM9 is frequently carried by people in the front pocket.

Another manufacturer that makes smaller 9mm and .40cal pistols is Taurus. Look into the 24/7 and Millennium Pro lines, including the 111 and 709 series. I'm not as familiar with the Taurus, but some of them have the size and caliber that might make sense for a decently concealable defensive firearm usable by each spouse.

CZ makes a heck of a pistol, as well. The CZ P-01 is excellent, though not nearly as small a package as any of the Kahrs. CZ also makes the 2075 RAMI, which is more compact. These are essentially all derivatives of CZ's 75 line of pistols. Very reliable, accurate, easy to use. While not as flat riding as the Kahrs, the RAMI is fairly concealable in a good, low-riding IWB holster. For years, I've carried a CZ P-01 and have loved it. At 28oz unloaded and 1.4" thick, it's not exactly the smallest pistol around. But it is amazingly reliable and accurate. The grip ergonomics are great, too, which can be hard to come by.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links