BHP CCW Set-up help

BHP CCW Set-up help

This is a discussion on BHP CCW Set-up help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, from a new guy to the forum. I've been working on my CCW set-up with my existing guns. I have a 1960's BHP that's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHP CCW Set-up help

BHP CCW Set-up help

Hello, from a new guy to the forum. I've been working on my CCW set-up with my existing guns. I have a 1960's BHP that's being fitted with a new/larger safety and mag/safety mod by a gunsmith. I've ordered a crossbreed holster and should be ready for my first carry by next week.
    My question is this: Can I safely carry the BHP "cocked&locked" in my holster ? Reason I'm asking is that the manual says NOT to store round in chamber.... unless I read it wrong or Browning is in CYA -mode. I want to be safe and sure of weapon.
    Thanks for looking.....
    Steve
    Edit/Delete Message

Bhp ccw

I have two Hi-Powers. A Browning Mark III, and a Charles Daly Hi-Power. Both have the magazine disconnect removed. I am a lefty so the CD HP also has an ambidextrous Cylinder and Slide safety installed. I have carried both pistols cocked and locked. I have used both pistols in IDPA stages. Both are great pistols. You will love your BHP for carry. Carry it cocked and locked!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    I have two Hi-Powers. A Browning Mark III, and a Charles Daly Hi-Power. Both have the magazine disconnect removed. I am a lefty so the CD HP also has an ambidextrous Cylinder and Slide safety installed. I have carried both pistols cocked and locked. I have used both pistols in IDPA stages. Both are great pistols. You will love your BHP for carry. Carry it cocked and locked!

-- Richard
    Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure that I'm safe with my gun. I look forward to my crossbreed holster and getting the gun back from the gunsmith with the new C&L safety installed. It's a beautiful gun,; passed down from my dad.
    Thanks
    Steve

I think they mean not to store out of your contorl loaded as in kids in the house etc. In your holster is perfectly fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Bhp ccw

Welcome to the Forum. I have two holsters for the BHP. A Crossbreed, great holster and a Comp-Tac paddle with an FBI cant. The Crossbreed is comfortable and hides the BHP well. You may need to alter the leather some to improve the draw. I have not done so, preferring to nudge the pistol from the holster with two fingers before tacking a proper grip. Let us know how you like the new rig and throw in a range report! Some photos also.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I think they mean not to store out of your contorl loaded as in kids in the house etc. In your holster is perfectly fine.
    It says:
    - Do not carry with round in chamber: For safety practice, it is recommended that a round not be chambered until immediately before your pistol is fired.
    - The recommended carry position for the HP is with the hammer in the dropped position.
    -Do not transport your pistol loaded : keep it unloaded whether stored in holster, gun case, or other container

This is one of the rare times I have read the manual..... so i just wanted to make sure....but I understand what you're saying.
    Thanks again
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. I have two holsters for the BHP. A Crossbreed, great holster and a Comp-Tac paddle with an FBI cant. The Crossbreed is comfortable and hides the BHP well. You may need to alter the leather some to improve the draw. I have not done so, preferring to nudge the pistol from the holster with two fingers before tacking a proper grip. Let us know how you like the new rig and throw in a range report! Some photos also.

-- Richard
    Thanks for the info... and I'll send pics.
    Steve

jyo
    I carried one of my P35s cocked & locked for over 12 years---just be sure to get a holster that has a safety strap that goes between the hammer and the slide. Practice and be careful.

Look at my Avatar.

That's a Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W. It is carried with a round in the chamber, or "Mexican", also with a round in the chamber. For holsters I use a kramer IWB #3, Milt Sparks Watch Six or a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

None of my holsters have a "safety strap" and none have caused the safety to go to the off position. Mexican Carry has not cuased the safety to go in the off position either. I have the standard Mk III safeties on my Hi Powers, and not the larger units. I do not know if they cause a problem of not but I would think that a good quality Holster, like those mentioned by me, would alleviate your concerns.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Look at my Avatar.

That's a Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W. It is carried with a round in the chamber, or "Mexican", also with a round in the chamber. For holsters I use a kramer IWB #3, Milt Sparks Watch Six or a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

None of my holsters have a "safety strap" and none have caused the safety to go to the off position. Mexican Carry has not cuased the safety to go in the off position either. I have the standard Mk III safeties on my Hi Powers, and not the larger units. I do not know if they cause a problem of not but I would think that a good quality Holster, like those mentioned by me, would alleviate your concerns.

Biker
    Thanks for the input....great forum !!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    What Biker said with fewer words.

Carry that baby cocked and locked in a quality holster. You have to take the safety off AND pull the trigger to light off a round. Perfectly safe to carry it in that mode. Been packing a 1911 Springer like that for 20 years with no problem.

Great choice of a carry weapon BTW. Natural pointer and extremely reliable.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The owner's manuals of MOST firearms warn to not chamber a round until ready to fire. This is not unique to Browning products.

We should remember that defensive weapons, if to serve their primary purpose, must be ready to fire.

Carried one cocked & locked all day today with no safety strap, no problems. ;) But seriously, when I got mine I read the same thing but asked here too and was reassured. It is perfectly safe with a proper holster. It is often on my nightstand too with no holster and never once has the safety disengaged without my doing so. Enjoy your HP.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
    Carried one cocked & locked all day today with no safety strap, no problems. ;) But seriously, when I got mine I read the same thing but asked here too and was reassured. It is perfectly safe with a proper holster. It is often on my nightstand too with no holster and never once has the safety disengaged without my doing so. Enjoy your HP.
    That's why is forum is so useful. Real world CCW'ers vs. Company Lawyers
    Just got my BHP back from the gunsmith: larger safety & mag. mod. I'll post pics a s soon as I figure out how

Thanks for the info
    Steve

Love my BHP. I have the Practical. It's two tone with night sights. I'm ordering a Comp-Tac holster to carry mine in as well.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links