Help me figure this one out....

This is a discussion on Help me figure this one out.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so my soon to be bride to be needs a CCW. I am proud of her progression in gun knowledge since we got together. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK so my soon to be bride to be needs a CCW. I am proud of her progression in gun knowledge since we got together. She is genuinely excoted to get her permit and a carry weapon. She says she does not want purse carry or some sort of oddball form of carry. She want it where she can control it, in a strongside hip holster. We have been window shopping for sometime and handling a little bit of everything available. She had settled on a Glock 26, with a Kahr PM9 in close second, and a Sig p239 in third. She was pretty settled on a 9mm, until she handled my friends P238. She loved how small and thin it was.

So now we are also considering a .380. I am a little leary of putting her in a cocked and locked. She has done exceptionally well but still is not really experienced enough to safely operate an SAO yet. She seems to like the looks and feel of an LCP, and the Kahr p380. I also showed her a Keltec PF-9, which she seemd to also be a fan of. She liked the fell of the Keltec P11 as well, but their slides are notoriously stiff. I want to stick with a good brand for awhile, dont want her getting frustrated having to clear FTE or FTFs everytime shes at the range. Could affect her shooting and carrying permanently. Anybody with experience on these platforms or suggestions of others please advise. She is not a big fan of small revolvers either just FYI.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mic
    If she likes the G26 but interested in a smaller round then take a serious look at a G33 or a G32, .357 SIG is nice
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I dont think she could handle the bark on a .357 Sig. A .40 cal hurts her wrist.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

cj
    Your next step might be to take a look at the rest of the Kahr lineup...maybe a PM9 or CW9? Good quality and compact sizes, mostly with a DAO trigger.

I say the Glock 26 or the P239 in 9mm. Honestly, I think the recoil of .357 from a P239 is surprisingly mild. Give it a try! Then again, the 9mm will get the job done.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If you're looking at .380's, there are many quality options for a DA. Consider any of these:

SIG P232
    Walther PPK/s
    Beretta M84/M85
    Mauser HSc
    Colt Pony
    Browning BDA (Made for Browning by Beretta, and essentially identical to the M84. I'm not sure if it's available in a single-stack, or if it's even still on the market at all.)

The double-stack grip on the M84 is a little bulky for casual carry - The M85 is single-stack.

I own, or have owned the PPK/s, the SIG, and the Beretta (in the double-stack M84). They were all first-rate quality guns, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any on this list.

Regards,
    Jim

She doesnt really like the p232....didnt mention that one. I would have to go with a PPK/s from Smith because of the extended beavertail preventing slide bite.

I've been very pleased with my PM9. It has yet to malfunction for me, and my GF can rack the slide, albeit it's a little stiff for her. If she can handle it, I'd say go for the PF9, CW9, or PM9.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I dont think she could handle the bark on a .357 Sig. A .40 cal hurts her wrist.
    If this is the case, I'm surprised she likes the PF9.

I'd say PF9 all the way, except it does kick a lot due to weight...

G26 though, is a good default option. I'd just worry that it will end up being too thick for summer carry.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I am leaning towards a G26 for her....it has the most of what she wants with what she needs. Just not sure yet...still need any advice.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Much as I like my Glocks, I find that we are carrying "his n hers" LCPs more and more lately.

She will have to fire them and decide for herself. Don't listen to those who poo-poo the .380 round. Load it up with FMJ (flat points preferred if you can get them) and put them where they count. Just like any other handgun caliber, it's all about shot placement and penetration.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Just out of curiousity...why not a good SD hollowpoint?

I load my Wife's .380 PPK with FMJ JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Smith & Wesson now offers a new line of small .380 pistols. Looks nice and might be a good choice to at least go look at.

I personally would recommend at least a 9mm of sorts but, in the end, if she isn't comfortable with it, show won't use it.

Shot Show 2010 - Smith & Wesson
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links