Help with gun for CCW and range use

This is a discussion on Help with gun for CCW and range use within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, This is my first post, so bear with me. I'm in the market for a handgun I can both conceal and use comfortably ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with gun for CCW and range use

Help with gun for CCW and range use

Hello all,

This is my first post, so bear with me.

I'm in the market for a handgun I can both conceal and use comfortably in the range. I plan to shoot 50+ rounds every two weeks, so it's really got to be comfortable. My budget is around the $400 mark.

Now in terms of concealing it, I am a woman, but I'm not tiny. I'm 5'10" 180lbs. I plan to carry my CCW on my person either on my strong side at 4 o'clock or cross-draw (in the car).

There are a few guns I like:

I love the look and feel of the Ruger SR9c, but unfortunately cannot shoot it before I buy it as I can't find a place renting them in my area. This would be my number one choice if I could shoot it first, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy before I try. There is a range with a Ruger SR9 I can rent, but I understand that Ruger has made some changes to the trigger on the compact version, so shooting the SR9 may not help me.

My husband has a Ruger P89 which I shoot well in SA and struggle with in DA (trigger pull is too heavy for me and I tend to pull my shot way right). How does the SR9c compare?

I also LOVE the Ruger SP101 Snubnose .357 (shooting .38 and .38 +P). I prefer the DA/SA version over the DAO version for range use. After a while the heavy trigger pull gets tiring. I'm also not so keen on the number of times I've got to load it to get through a box of ammo at the range, but that is a minor gripe.

I also really like the Glock 26. It is very comfortable for me to shoot though I am least accurate with it (still within the 8 ring at 21 ft. though). The trigger is perfect for me. The only thing holding me back is the size of it and the price is a little more than I'd like to pay.

Can anyone comment on the above choices in terms of conceal ability, trigger pull, and comfort for range use? Also, does anyone have another recommendation for something I should consider? If so, why do you recommend it?

Finally, is there a 1911 that would fit my requirements? I really like the look of them and am drawn to SA which I much prefer to DA. My only concern is with the recoil factor of .45 acp in a compact gun. Generally, recoil is not a huge issue for me. I don't have weak wrists or a weak grip, so I can hold my own. Having said that, I've never shot .45 in a lightweight compact gun. My range has the all steel government size which I shoot just fine.

OK, that's it. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long post (I told you I has a newbie).

x-posted to the firing line and carolina shooters

2. Remove Ads

From what you are posting...Glock 19...is your answer. Or the M&P 9C. or a Sig p239, but will be hard to find for your budget, unless you find it Certified pre Owned (CPO).
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first post, so bare with me.

I'm in the market for a handgun I can both conceal and use comfortably in the range. I plan to shoot 50+ rounds every two weeks, so it's really got to be comfortable. My budget is around the $400 mark.

Now in terms of concealing it, I am a woman, but I'm not tiny. I'm 5'10" 180lbs. I plan to carry my CCW on my person either on my strong side at 4 o'clock or crossdraw (in the car).

There are a few guns I like:

I love the look and feel of the Ruger SR9c, but unfortunately cannot shoot it before I buy it as I can't find a place renting them in my area. This would be my number one choice if I could shoot it first, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy before I try. There is a range with a Ruger SR9 I can rent, but I understand that Ruger has made some changes to the trigger on the compact version, so shooting the SR9 may not help me.

My husband has a Ruger P89 which I shoot well in SA and struggle with in DA (trigger pull is too heavy for me and I tend to pull my shot way right). How does the SR9c compare?

I also LOVE the Ruger SP101 Snubnose .357 (shooting .38 and .38 +P). I prefer the DA/SA version over the DAO version for range use. After a while the heavy trigger pull gets tiring. I'm also not so keen on the number of times I've got to load it to get through a box of ammo at the range, but that is a minor gripe.

I also really like the Glock 26. It is very comfortable for me to shoot though I am least accurate with it (still within the 8 ring at 21 ft. though). The trigger is perfect for me. The only thing holding me back is the size of it and the price is a little more than I'd like to pay.

Can anyone comment on the above choices in terms of concealability, trigger pull, and comfort for range use? Also, does anyone have another recommendation for something I should consider? If so, why do you recommend it?

Finally, is there a 1911 that would fit my requirements? I really like the look of them and am drawn to SA which I much prefer to DA. My only concern is with the recoil factor of .45 acp in a compact gun. Generally, recoil is not a huge issue for me. I don't have weak wrists or a weak grip, so I can hold my own. Having said that, I've never shot .45 in a lightweight compact gun. My range has the all steel government size which I shoot just fine.

OK, that's it. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long post (I told you I has a newbie).

x-posted to the firing line and carolina shooters
    Have you also looked at any of the Springfield XD line? They make several compact and subcompact models in 9mm to .40sw, .357sig and .45acp. They are single action striker fired, like a Glock, and have an easy trigger pull.
    I think you might be fond of the XD9sc if you need a small compact package that is accurate, easy to carry, and easy to maintain.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Check online for prices on the Glocks. If you really like the .45 ACP, have you considered a the Glock 30 or 36?

Too bad you can't get you hands on the Ruger. No friend around that has one?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Id look into a used Glock(make SURE it fits your hands and if it does not dont think you will "get used to it" just pass on it) a 19 or 23(id go 23 because you can always get the 9mm conversion barrel, A Sig P6/225 is in the $400 range and a great gun also, a Ruger P95 is $259-279 brand new but IMO a tad big for CC. My SR9 compact was $403 new and I like it much better than the Glock I had B4 I got the SR9c. A used snubby is in the $400 range and a good choice also. also look into used XD SC and possibly even a used M&P...another great gun to look for is a 3rd generation S&W semi Auto great guns and decently inexpensive.

Welcome to the forum. Tons of info here.
    My vote would be for the Glock 26. I have a 27 and it is the perfect CCW for me. You can add a longer mag or grip extension for range use. Its not hard at all to conceal. Glockworld online sells them for $459.00 plus shipping. You will never find a 1911 in your price range. If you really liked the SR9C you can dry fire it in the shop to get a feel for the trigger. If you didnt like it Im sure you could sell it for about as much as you paid.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.

Tell me, where do you all source used guns? I've checked locally, bud's gun shop, and Impact guns.

I've shot my buddy's SR9c at the range and based on what you have described I think you will really enjoy it all the way around. Nice trigger, easily concealed, fun to shoot, and accurate. You would be very happy with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

How about the Springfield EMP? I just today got a look at this gun at a local pawn shop. They just got it in so no price yet. It looked to be in new condition w/3 mags and case. I think that it had a 3" bbl, smallish grip and an ambi safety (important to me as I am a lefty). That gun could serve you well in most applications and fits your SA trigger preference. And 9mm ammo is widely available and reasonably priced, both of which allow for mucho practice. They sell most of their handguns at GunBroker.com
    Search "used items", "By seller" then "allamericancashexchange".

Good luck
    Ceapea
    Last edited by Ceapea; March 23rd, 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: To correct "seller" information

Glock 19. Accurate, will stand up to heavy range use, easy to find cheap 9mm ammo and reasonably compact. I have a Glock 19 and it is my reference 9mm, in other words I compare all other 9mm pistols to this one. Even if you get other pistols down the road, and you will, one could always use a Glock in their stable of handguns.
    God bless our troops!

While you are considering, don't over look the Kahr CW9. Thinner than the g26 and very easy to carry. Realistically, they are not tack drivers at the range, but they shoot very well and recoil is pleasant. I have over 700 rounds through mine since January and no troubles at all.
    Smaller framed 1911's are very good for defense but most, unless you find a used one, are out of your price range. The 3 and 3 1/2 inch versions also have more recoil. If you do consider a .45 look at the G36. Very nice pistol. Single stack and my second choice for daily carry.

if you're comfortable and like the SP101 then by all means CARRY IT :)

And I'll echo the SIG suggestions above. If you can find them the Sig P225 is a single stack 9mm. It conceals easily and shoots great as well.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Like said before, 1911's will be more than you want to pay. Unfortunate, because there are some .38 supers out there, plus, some 9mm versions ( some say blasphemy ).
    That said, try to decide what you mainly want it for...range or concealed carry. They may well not be the same. A good carry gun may not be exactly " range accurate" or all that fun to shoot/ load alot at a range. There are some out there for most of us that will work ok, but I have a couple that are'nt.
    The Glock 26 would be great if you can get to where you shoot it accurately, and it IS accurate.
    Good luck, and have fun as you are in the first fun part of shooting...looking to buy a new gun!
    p.s. you may think about a good ccw gun and shoot it enough to stay proficient, and an inexpensive .22 pistol to shoot the heck out of at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    While you are considering, don't over look the Kahr CW9. Thinner than the g26 and very easy to carry...
    Smaller framed 1911's are very good for defense but most, unless you find a used one, are out of your price range.
    I second what Jfrey said about the Kahr. My favorite CCW is my Kahr CW45. It's about the same size as your typical compact 9mm, but with the .45's oomph-factor.

I don't recall exactly what I paid for the CW45, but the CW's are much lower priced than the high-end Kahrs like the PM series. I believe it was about $450 NIB. There's also a CW40, if that suits you better than the 9 or the .45. If you're comfortable shooting a full-size 1911, the CW45 would probably be manageable for you.

Good luck with your selection!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links