G22 vs G23 - Page 2

G22 vs G23

This is a discussion on G22 vs G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which fits your hand better?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G22 vs G23

Which fits your hand better?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If you want a "big brother" get the G22.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Which fits your hand better?
    I have'nt been to the shop to check out either yet, but I have no problem with a 27. They are just a little longer in the grip frame, right?

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    It,s not for CC, thats the job of the 27. I imagine I'm looking for a excuse to buy another gun when it boils down to it.
    For your consideration: I owned a G23 and carry G27 daily, a good friend has the G22. I've shot all in the same range trip. The G22 "feels" alot bigger that the 23 even though it's 1/2" longer in barrel and grip. The G23 isn't that much different than the G27 to shoot (in handling or recoil).

I wanted a "bigger" range gun and got the G35. It's the same grip, magazines, and frame as the G22 but a longer barrel. It's very accurate & makes good competition gun.

The size puts it out of CC for me, but you could open carry and it's great at the range.

my .02
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

What I see on the specs are that the 22 is 15 shot, 22.92 oz with a 4.49 in. barrel. The 23 shows 13 shot, 21.16 oz with a 4.02" barrel. Both are bigger than the 27, but not a whole lot of difference between themselves, which is why I was wondering.
    As to the big bro. thing, just somebody to share ammo with and look after each other on a dark night..
    As a matter of fact I went to the range just yesterday with my 27 and a couple 22 and 23 mags with the A&G mag adapters attached for grippability. I shot 5 rounds at 5 yards for 5 seconds to really determine accuracy with each grip adapter. I have large hands and even though I have a Pearce grip extension on the 27 mags, I wanted to balance out conceal ability with control ability. As expected, the bigger the grip, the better the control and tighter the groups inside 5 inches. I've been carrying the 27 mag in the 27 and the 23 as a spare. I'm now seriously thinking of carrying the 23 in the 27 and getting an extra 23 as a spare.

I would submit that the size of your hands is going to be pivitol in this decision. For me the G23 actually shoots better than the G22 because of the reduced size of the finger grooves. When I shoot the G22 there is a little bit of wiggle room in each fingergroove which takes away some of the accuracy for fast shots. The G23 fits nice and snug. And with the G23 I dont need the grip extensions that I would need (want) on a G27 for it to fit my hand properly.

I think you need to go handle both, and really observe how they fit in your hand.

Both are great guns.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry a 27 and wanted a range gun so I bought the 22. I also just added a 19 since I didn't have a 9mm. I'm debating on getting a 23.
    Proud NRA member

If you really want the big brother get a G35. I have a G23 for EDC and G35 for HD. I have no problems carring the 35 though. The extra barrel length is no problem carring and the grip is the same size as the 22.

The 35 shoots much better to me than the 22 as well. Plus there's nothing wrong with a little more barrel to get all the velocity you can.

I originally bought a G23 as a compromise gun and was not disappointed and I still carry it most of the time. I have since added a G27 (primarily used for summer carry) and a G22 (use mostly at the range and for open carry). If I could only have one, it would be a G23. If I could only have two, it would be a G23 and a G27.
    NRA Life Member

Wondered if anyone has both of these to compare. I have the G27 and am thinking about getting a big brother for it, but not sure which one would be best.
    Well, I actually started my carry days with a G27 myself. That was before I learned what I could actually conceal effectively. I got the smallest package and worked up from there I guess. I had the sub-compacts and the full size for a very long time before I even entertained the thought of the compact Glocks. Once I got into my first G19 and I geared up for it, I knew I had found what I had been missing. My single remaining full size Glock is a dedicated match pistol now although it could still be carried if need be. My G27 is still my favorite in a way since I cut my CC teeth with it, but it's more of my deep conceal now. My G23 goes with me almost everywhere now. The G19/G23 (compact size Glocks) just seem to be the best balance of everything for me. After getting my G19 and G23, the full size Glock just seemed to be so.....well, full size. I had never been comfortable with carrying the full size Glocks IWB even though I have. For me OWB under a cover garment is best for CC the large frames. I do believe the compact Glocks are the most versatile of all.

I have all three: G22, 23, and 27. Hands down I like the 27 the best! It fits me. I use the G23 for work, and the 27 as backup/CCW. I like the G22 for it's size, and capacity, but it doesn't "Fit" me.. If I were in your shoe look at em both, and see what fits you best..

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I own and daily cc a 23 and my dad owns a 22. Since your not going to use the new gun for concealed carry I would say shoot both and see which one fits your hand better. In my opinion there is a very big contrast between all three sizes of glocks but thats just my opinion. For me tho, the 22 just doesnt fit my smallish hands. I do like the previous recommendation for the 35 since its going to be a range gun.....

ps...look @ conversion barrels from 40-9mm or 40-357sig. I have the 40-9mm conversion barrel for my 23 and its ton of fun to shoot and is like having 2 guns in 1

Well, now the G35 has come into the fray, and I have to admit, it's an attractive choice. It's the opposite of the 27 for sure. I never really thought about that one, thanks! Do they all have the cutout in the slide?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links