G22 vs G23

This is a discussion on G22 vs G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondered if anyone has both of these to compare. I have the G27 and am thinking about getting a big brother for it, but not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G22 vs G23

G22 vs G23

Wondered if anyone has both of these to compare. I have the G27 and am thinking about getting a big brother for it, but not sure which one would be best.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    If memory serves me, the 23 is virtually identicle to the 27. The difference being the accessory rail (hardly used in CC). I owned a 22 before getting my 27. Fun gun, loved shooting it, difficult to CC.

So, you say you don't know what is "best" depends on what you expect from a big brother?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

What I see on the specs are that the 22 is 15 shot, 22.92 oz with a 4.49 in. barrel. The 23 shows 13 shot, 21.16 oz with a 4.02" barrel. Both are bigger than the 27, but not a whole lot of difference between themselves, which is why I was wondering.
    As to the big bro. thing, just somebody to share ammo with and look after each other on a dark night..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It will come down to a matter of size and capacity.
    Are you looking to conceal it? The 23 is smaller, but not by much.
    Capacity? The 22 is 2 rds more; maybe a better range gun than CC.
    About an ounce difference between the 2 (empty weight).

So, what's the purpose of this firearm? My opinioin is the 22 if looking for a range/HD gun; the 23 if thinking carry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Agreed OldVet. It's also worth noting that a mag from either the 22 or the 23 will fit in your 27.

So for HD, you can have mags for the 22 stashed about and either gun will eat them up just fine. Make sure you practice the 27 with 22 mags as it will obviously feel different.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I got a G-23 because they didn't have any G-22's in stock and those were the only choices we could have for the SRT team.

I've been happy with the G-23 and have no regrets over not getting the G-22.

I do find the nearly 1/2 shorter barrel of the G-23 is a lot more convenient and I'm not sure if I would take a G-22 if offered one today.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It,s not for CC, thats the job of the 27. I imagine I'm looking for a excuse to buy another gun when it boils down to it. I'm not happy with my Beretta 96D and being able to swap mags and have the EXACT same operating system as your BUG is a big plus to me.

I like my G23. Not much help there I know.

Maybe just get the G22 cause it's a better range gun thanks to barrel length.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Prior to retirement as a LEO I was issued both a 22 and a 23. I just carried the 22 in uniform. The 23 was a whole lot easier to carry in plain clothes and off duty. I got to where I rarely carried the 22 and eventually just turned it in and carried the 23 all the time. I now have one of each, a 22, 23, and a 27. Now that I'm retired the 22 never gets carried. The 23 gets carried a lot. In the summer time the 27 gets carried if I'm wearing clothes which make it difficult to conceal the 23.
    If I could only have one it would be the 23.
    183 FBINA

Well then if it's opinions you're after, I'd go with the full frame 22.

Either one will be way cool and you can put a laser on the rail. But since you have a 27, the 23 would just be "more of the same + a rail" where the 22 is a larger contrast to what you have. Why buy another gun if it's just going to be the same? JMO

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    It,s not for CC, thats the job of the 27. I imagine I'm looking for a excuse to buy another gun when it boils down to it. I'm not happy with my Beretta 96D and being able to swap mags and have the EXACT same operating system as your BUG is a big plus to me.

I wouldn't be happy with the Beretta either. They just don't fit my hand well. I would really hate to be forced by dept. standards to have to adapt to shooting the Beretta. Thank God the Corps. still shot 1911's when I was in instead of the M-9 (Beretta 92).

I understand your G-27 is your ccw gun, but a G-23 fits that role nicely as well. Even better than the G-22 in my opinion.

The best of things would be carrying the G-23 as your primary ccw and the G-27 as a BUG and just carry two G-23 reloads.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with the Beretta either. They just don't fit my hand well. I would really hate to be forced by dept. standards to have to adapt to shooting the Beretta. Thank God the Corps. still shot 1911's when I was in instead of the M-9 (Beretta 92).

I understand your G-27 is your ccw gun, but a G-23 fits that role nicely as well. Even better than the G-22 in my opinion.

The best of things would be carrying the G-23 as your primary ccw and the G-27 as a BUG and just carry two G-23 reloads.
    I'll raise you Barkn, since Va. is open carry, a 22 on the waist, 23 ccw, and then the 27 for a bug!
    Now I have to find another one to trade in..
    The grips on the Beretta are ok for me ,even with laser grips, it's the mile long trigger pull that I don't like. That, plus it's heavier.
    One good thing I've heard on this site is that Glock has a discount that applies to firefighters and emt's. That will help if true, since I did'nt do 20 years in the military.

I have a 23 and a 27. If I had only the 27 and I were you I would get the 22 for HD and range time and CC the 27. You could always add the 23 later for the tri-fecta.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I'll raise you Barkn, since Va. is open carry, a 22 on the waist, 23 ccw, and then the 27 for a bug!
    Now I have to find another one to trade in..
    The grips on the Beretta are ok for me ,even with laser grips, it's the mile long trigger pull that I don't like. That, plus it's heavier.
    One good thing I've heard on this site is that Glock has a discount that applies to firefighters and emt's. That will help if true, since I did'nt do 20 years in the military.
    As long as you're getting them from one of the Glock Authorized Dealers, you'll get the public safety discount.

I don't believe gun shops who happen to have some Glocks in stock have to honor that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I'm currently in the market for a G22! Like you I also own the G27 but I'd like the G22 for a HD/range weapon simply because of the mag capacity
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links