S&W 442 thumb bite issue

S&W 442 thumb bite issue

This is a discussion on S&W 442 thumb bite issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a stock Smith 442. The cylander release button digs into the inside of the first knuckle on my right hand thumb when shooting. ...

S&W 442 thumb bite issue

I have a stock Smith 442. The cylander release button digs into the inside of the first knuckle on my right hand thumb when shooting. I can't seem to find a place to put my thumb to prevent this. After 15 rounds or so my thumb is bleeding. This happens when shooting mild loads, not just the hotter +p stuff.

Anyone else have this problem? Are my hands too big? Should I try some other grips? Is there an aftermarket button replacement that is smaller or more rounded without the sharp edges?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member
    Clearly there's something in your grip causing that but I can't imagine. I'll pull my 638 and see if I can replicate w/out actually cutting. That sounds more than annoying. Have you got bear paws?

Just wondering, are you overlaying your right thumb with your left in a two handed grip....pressing your right thumb onto the release?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It happens shooting one or two handed. My thumb naturally wants to bend downwards when I grip the gun, and the knuckle rests just behind the cylander release. I have tried moving it around but it either ends up interfering with my trigger finger or has to lay straight along the top of the cylander release which weakens my grip.

I think a larger grip might be in order to seat the gun more solidly in my hands to absorb the recoil better...but there goes the concealability.

I've got a scarred up right thumb from carrying a bodyguard for about 15 years. Anytime I shoot the J-frame S&W without oversized grips my thumb gets bitten. However, it didn't stop me from buying a new 638 yesterday. I also got the bigger grips to go with it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    smooth the button yourself with a dremmel tool?

My hands are fairly big though not huge and I've shot a Taurus 85 and Ruger LCR without any problem. Try different hand placements on the grip?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    take a picture of your grips so we can see how you are holding it and amybe we can see the flaw!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

You must have an extra long thumb. My hands are average to slightly large, and my knuckle is about 1/2 inch behind the cylinder release, no matter what kind of grip I use.

I have large hand with long fingers yet my Model 642 doesn't chew on me in any way.

Perhaps an internet search of "gripping the revolver" could reveal some pointers.

I've never had that issue with my 442. I've big, wide, thick hands and fingers, but they're not long. If you can, a picture of your grip set-up would help a lot.

A hogue grip sounds like it would help...and it shouldn't completely negate concealability.
    Last edited by BugDude; March 24th, 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add'l info
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thanks for the inputs. I think I may have been gripping the gun too high...but that's what I wanted to do to prevent muzzle flip. Going to sell this and get an SP101 that won't have this "feature".

When I bought my 638 the other day, I also purchased the larger Hogue grips but didn't use them today when I test fired the gun. Well, some things never change. The gun performed flawlessly but I still came home with a chewed up right thumb. It didn't matter if I fired one handed or two. After about 25 rounds I'd had enough. As soon as I got home I put the Hogue grips back on. Yeah, it cuts down on concealability but it surely makes the shooting more comfortable and therefore, more sustained and probably more accurate. Although I must say the accuracy didn't suffer much until about round 15 or so but by then the thumb was pretty tender.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Sold the 442 today and bought a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 mag and a Hogue monogrip...that feels so very nice in my hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Sold the 442 today and bought a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 mag and a Hogue monogrip...that feels so very nice in my hands!!!
    Well, I was gonna say, don't use your thumbs! Keep them off the gun..... adjust your grip accordingly..... I shoot IDPA, USPSA, & ICORE and was tought to not use the thumbs....
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.

Links