Davis Industries 38 spl derringer - complete junk?

This is a discussion on Davis Industries 38 spl derringer - complete junk? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, My Dad has given me this little toy gun. I can't seem to find much out about them unless they have become Cobra now? ...

Ok,

My Dad has given me this little toy gun. I can't seem to find much out about them unless they have become Cobra now?

I would not exactly feel comfortable carry the little beast but I'd like to shoot it for the novelty.

Are these guns safe? I know I should probably take it to a competent gunsmith for checking over but don't want to be laughed out of the shop.

Should I just melt it in the forge and have done with it?

Advice please.

PapaScout (Ron)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Administrator
    You'll not ever read/hear too much in the way of anything good about Davis firearms.

They are decently bottom of the barrel firearms.

Many of their semi~autos were mostly made of Zinc alloy & not steel.

Please don't shoot it unless you have a gunsmith check it out & even if he tells you it's safe to shoot...shoot low power ammo in it.

The double-barrel is steel but the frame (what little there is, of course) is non-magnetic.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I suppose that they have their place. The ONLY place would be with the muzzle resting firmly on the BG's second button. Of course if he had a blade you'd be a gonner already.

I haven't heard much about them. I'm not sure that I know anybody that has one. Had a lady show up to my class (CCW)with a derringer (unsure what brand)and I sent her home.Some of them have the "Rugerish" transfer bar safety. I have heard good things about the workmanship on the American Derringer brand. But now your talking (guessin') $300+.

I'd have to advise, go with a very small revo or auto. In used condition they aren't much money anyway.

I wouldn't want to enter into a BG(s) thing with just two shots and NO chance of a reload on the horizon.

This,IMO only. I would say that the Davis is mo betta than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Your dad gave it to you so you should keep it. Tell him you love it and that it shoots great. Don't take it to a gunsmith. Don't put any money into it.
    Also,when invited to a gunfight......well,you know. --------

Administrator
    That's what I thought.

I deleted the "Check It With A Magnet" out of my above post until I could try to research if it was all steel or combination Steel & Diecast.

Here is the story on Zinc Diecast...it's fairly strong when it's first cast but, then it DOES get brittle with age. That is a problem in firearms.

Zinc DieCast scares me a little bit when it's old.

I sure wouldn't turn it into a fishing sinker just yet...get it checked out & then if OK ~ shoot the mildest ammo you can find for it.

And as you always should anyway...wear good, proper, eye protection.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've got one in 9mm. Got it real cheap. It's not suppose to be your primary for a running gun battle keep that in mind. For what I intended it for I think it does the trick. I on occasion bring it in a pocket when I can't have my regular carry gun on me. For example I recently went to a concert where I knew they would do a check on my sides and back. The little derringer in my pocket was undetected.

I've shot it several times and had no problem. It is simply for sticking in the face of an attacker at very close range. It is better than not being armed.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thanks QKShooter, RSSZ, and havegunjoe.

My Dad has had this for probably 10 years now and does not want it anymore. Not exactly a family heirloom.

It would not be carry gun for me - even if it was safe to shoot. I have my BHP and my S&W 442 as a backup (sometimes primary) for that.

I think I'll just leave it in the safe so that I have it when he asks after it.

Thanks again for the input!

Ron

I've had a Davis Derringer .38 for about 15 years. It is not my first (or second) choice as a CC weapon, but it IS about as concealable a weapon in a "major" caliber that you'll find. It's not designed for anything other than "up close and personal" use, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have 2 shots from a .38 derringer than 5-6 from a .22 pocket auto... or nothing at all. Besides, most self defense shootings - at least according to statistics - happen at 7 feet or less and require 3 or few shots. It may ot be the best main carry weapon, but it makes a very concealable, major caliber BUG.

As for the gun itself, it's been reliable (at least mine has with the 100 or so rounds I've shot with it over the years), and about the easiest gun to clean, conceal and maintain you can find. The closest thing you'll find to it in size currently, and I bought one as the derringer's replacement, is the KT P-3AT. In fact, I now keep the KT in the same holster I originally got for the derringer.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

it is a free gun. yes they are not the high end as most guns, but.... it will go bang when you need it to. this is a "bug" and that's all. take it to the range, fire some shots, then put it in your jacket pocket.

Links