Finally got a handgun my wife can agree on

This is a discussion on Finally got a handgun my wife can agree on within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun-titis... it gets us all... but I only really coughed up $330 for this. It is a Hungarian FEG P9M .40 Caliber (Browning Hi Power). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a handgun my wife can agree on

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Talking Finally got a handgun my wife can agree on

Gun-titis... it gets us all... but I only really coughed up $330 for this. It is a Hungarian FEG P9M .40 Caliber (Browning Hi Power). It looks cheap but it is rather solid. It's basically a Hungarian copy of the 1911 handgun with the same frame and style, just not the parts.

As for why I got it... Simple really... my wife had a hard time with the trigger pull on her Taurus 85, so I sold it and took the cash and bought this for her. Yes, it's her gun, but I bought it. She trusted me to make a right choice for her. I got it for her so she had an easier gun to carry that didn't feel like she was going to break her fingers pulling the trigger. She wanted something slim, powerful and with an easy trigger pull... this met all three.

It's semi-rare to find one of these in .40 caliber, most that I have seen are in 9mm. It was made in Hungary and used by their police department as you can see in the pictures, then it ended up back State side after their police department switched to the Glock. The previous owner bought it after the export back and took great care of it until I got it.

We plan to get new better grips. We we're talking about it and we both really dislike the plastic grips. I think it makes it look cheap. We were talking about getting possibly wood or rubber grips instead. In addition a custom holster for my wife and a few extra mags.

With a 1911/Browning style model, you can't go wrong.

This is not me, but some video of the FEG in action.

YouTube - Hi Power

2. Remove Ads

Pretty darn cool!!! Hope yall enjoy it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hungarian copy of the 1911 handgun with the same frame and style, just not the parts.
    It looks like a P35 to me, not a 1911.

Don't worry, the P35 is a better design than the 1911 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

The 1911 was designed by John Browning for the United States Army. The P35 was designed by John Browning and Dieudonné Saive for the French Military Handgun Trials. They never adopted the P35, but it has developed an impressive history none the less and is the finest fighting handgun in existance IMO.

Congrats on the new gun.

Biker

I have a FEG ppk .380 I bought about 25 yrs ago. Great little gun for CC. I don't like the fixed sights. It shoots a little high. I thought of building up the front sight with some JB weld, and some orange paint. I "binged" FEG and they are still out there.
    p.s. The tinfoil hat stops the voices.

VIP Member
    Great looking gun you got there... It looks like it's in great shape...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If she likes it, will train with it, will carry it, and will use it, it is the perfect gun.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If she likes it, will train with it, will carry it, and will use it, it is the perfect gun.
    The bolded part will be the issue. She has no issue with the rest... but she is like deathly afraid of people seeing it thru her clothing. She won't take that first step. I've tried everything to get her to carry. I think she would, but the gun would have to be a piece of paper or invisible.

She is a school teacher and if she is out in public, she doesn't want to be seen with it concealed

In her words ^

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    She is a school teacher and if she is out in public, she doesn't want to be seen with it concealed

Sounds like you need to get her a tiny gun and a smartcarry kind of setup. If someone can 'make' you with a kel tech (or similar) in a smartcarry then.. well then i guess you dont have your pants on
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

While that is a good gun and a good value, it may indeed prove to be too big/heavy to carry concealed. A lot will depend on your wife, and how she dresses - and how "huggy" she is.

Might be better to start with a LCP (or similar). Small, light, flat - and as concealable as a gun gets. Once she masters that and is comfortable with it, then try the heavy artillery.

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell her that a .380 is a mouse gun, or ineffective, or whatever. Any gun on you beats the artillery piece in the safe. Shot placement, then bullet penetration. Caliber wars are silly...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    While that is a good gun and a good value, it may indeed prove to be too big/heavy to carry concealed. A lot will depend on your wife, and how she dresses - and how "huggy" she is.

Might be better to start with a LCP (or similar). Small, light, flat - and as concealable as a gun gets. Once she masters that and is comfortable with it, then try the heavy artillery.

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell her that a .380 is a mouse gun, or ineffective, or whatever. Any gun on you beats the artillery piece in the safe. Shot placement, then bullet penetration. Caliber wars are silly...
    Small guns like the LCP can be some of the hardest guns for even proficient shooters to "master".

My wife is starting to decide she wants her own gun. While I do know of several guns she should consider, I'm letting her make the decision. Her "trusting" me to get her the gun she needs is a good way for her to get something she doesn't like.

If I bought her a J-frame (or gave her one of mine) she'd say no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    Small guns like the LCP can be some of the hardest guns for even proficient shooters to "master".

My wife is starting to decide she wants her own gun. While I do know of several guns she should consider, I'm letting her make the decision. Her "trusting" me to get her the gun she needs is a good way for her to get something she doesn't like.

If I bought her a J-frame (or gave her one of mine) she'd say no thanks.
    And that was my concern. The guy I traded/bought from had a few KelTec 9mm... they were a lot smaller, but I was ALL over the target, if on the target at all. I figured if I couldn't hit it, neither could my wife. At least with this I kept a much tighter, consistent group, which means my wife can also.

That was a factor I took into consideration while choosing a gun. He had like 10 I could pick from.

Well...yes and no.

I have no trouble at all putting several mags worth of ammo from my LCP into one ragged hole at 7 yards, rapid fire. The pinky grip helps a lot, as does the Crimson trace laser. Learning how to quickly stage the trigger also helps.

My (petite) wife (who is not nearly as experienced with guns as I am) has no trouble staying on target with her LCP. The only real issue she has is some difficulty racking the slide. She also did not like revolvers - too thick, trigger too hard to pull, too much recoil, etc.

I am a firm believer that you can shoot almost any gun well, if you have the proper positive mindset, and training.

Best of luck getting your wife the best blend of concealment and shoot-ability, for her. As you said, let her decide for herself.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Congrats on the new gun! You picked up a bargain.

Like BikerRN said, your gun is a clone of the Browning P-35 "Hi-Power" instead of the Browning 1911.

Like the 1911, it is a single action pistol designed to be carried in condition #1 (cocked and locked) but does not have the ubiquitous "grip safety" which is found on the 1911's.

It is my understanding, Browning did not like the grip safety and originally designed the 1911 without one. It was later added to satisfy the requests made by the U.S. Calvary who was going to be a major user of the gun. As usual, the Army usually gets to have a significant amount of input in design.

Like Biker, I also think the P-35 is an big improvement over the 1911 and apparently so did John Browning. It just never gained the popularity of the 1911. Part of that may have been because it was never offered in .45 acp. The U.S. Govt. was using the 1911 with great success mainly because of the caliber and it just grew from there. The P-35 did become widely popular in Europe where the 9mm was as popular there as the .45 acp was here.

It was the Browning P-35 "Hi-Power" that Det. Frank Serpico bought to protect himself when he was being threatened by fellow NYPD officers because he wouldn't "go on the take" during a dark period of department wide corruption within the NYPD in the late 1960's and early 1970's. And because he wouldn't accept bribes, they didn't trust him and he received many death threats from fellow police officers.

During that time, Hi-Capacity 9mm's were kind of rare in New York City compared to all the Saturday night specials and revolvers found in the local pawn shops. It is rumored that when Serpico bought the gun, the shop owner asked "You expecting to fight an army?" To which Serpico replied, "Just a division." The line was put into the movie Serpico which starred Al Pacino.

I really like the P-35 and don't know why I don't own one yet. It is one of the relatively few Hi-Capacity guns which is slim enough to fit my hand like a glove. If I could find one of the relatively few manufactured with a short "commander" length slide, I'd probably get it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

In her words ^

I actually laughed out loud at that.

But, in all seriousness, I can see her concern. All it takes is a group of vocal anti-gun parents to see or hear she's "packing heat" and she could quickly be out of a job.

Teachers have been removed from the classroom for much less...

I bought one of these in 9mm back in the early 90s when I was more poor than I am now. The first one I received would not eject a live round and would not hit the side of a barn even if you were shooting from the inside. The factory replacement I received shortly therafter has been 100% reliable and is more than accurate enough for defense. I still have mine and enjoy shooting it. It is a good gun for being so inexpensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links