First range time with my new Kahr CW9.

This is a discussion on First range time with my new Kahr CW9. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I took my new Kahr CW9 out for its first range session and started the break in. Put 100 rounds through it. First, I ...

Thread: First range time with my new Kahr CW9.

Yesterday I took my new Kahr CW9 out for its first range session and started the break in. Put 100 rounds through it.

First, I was real impressed with how it shoots. I'm still getting use to the trigger. Feels more like a revolver trigger than semi-auto. The recoil feels a lot like a Glock 26 to me.

I took 50 rounds of Independence 115gr fmj and 50 rounds of Lawman 115gr fmj with me.

First box, the Independence went down range without a hitch.

The Lawman. I can't remember if it was the 1st and 2nd magazine, or the 2nd and 3rd magazine, but right at beginning of the box, I had two problems. Both times, the magazine dropped out during fire. The first time it happened, the round stove piped upon ejecting and the magazine fell out. The 2nd time was on the very next magazine (2nd or 3rd), rounds fed and ejected ok, however just the magazine fell out. What would cause this? The rest of that box went fine.

I bought 2 more boxes of Independence for the other half of the break in (200 round recommended by Kahr).

I found and ordered a 2nd magazine from Cheaper Than Dirt.

I'm looking forward to getting the 2nd 100 rounds through it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

CW9

Welcome to the forum. I have a CW9 with over 300 rounds. The advise I was given was one, Clean the pistol and lube well before the first range visit. Two always load the first round from slide lock using the slide release. I followed those instructions. I had several feed problems in the first two magazines and after that no problems. At this stage I was able to load the first round sling slotting, but have returned to using the slide release. I did that because I grown very fond of this pistol. Double action trigger and all. Stick with it, its a great pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post

The Lawman. I can't remember if it was the 1st and 2nd magazine, or the 2nd and 3rd magazine, but right at beginning of the box, I had two problems. Both times, the magazine dropped out during fire. The first time it happened, the round stove piped upon ejecting and the magazine fell out. The 2nd time was on the very next magazine (2nd or 3rd), rounds fed and ejected ok, however just the magazine fell out. What would cause this? The rest of that box went fine.
    I had the same thing happen to mine .
    Kahr tried to fix it but it still had the same problem.
    In the end I sold it to get a gun I could trust.
    I know thats not the answer you would like to hear , and I,m sorry
    because I like the feel of the Kahr guns and wish it would have worked out myself.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to mine .
    Kahr tried to fix it but it still had the same problem.
    In the end I sold it to get a gun I could trust.
    I know thats not the answer you would like to hear , and I,m sorry
    because I like the feel of the Kahr guns and wish it would have worked out myself.
    Well I'm not giving up on it just because of 2 malfunctions on one type of ammo. During the 1st 100 rounds, when Kahr recommends 200 rounds before considering it reliable. If I make it through the 2nd 100 without a hitch, then I think I'll be ok with it. It could be the Lawman ammo, or just something that works itself out during break in.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Put the 2nd 100 rounds through it today. All "Independence" brand 115 gr FMJ. No FTE or FTF's but one instance where the magazine dropped half way out after a round ejected. Did not stove pipe. Just dropped half way out. Reinserted the magazine, racked the slide and it fired fine the rest of the two boxes. This happened in the first couple of magazines.

One of the magazines was new and had not been used yet.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It's possible you have an out-of-spec mag follower. As you fire, the follower rises up inside the mag, and reaches a point where it can depress the mag catch, causing the mag to fall out.

Did the mag fall out about half way through each time (3 or 4 shots)?

This is a known issue with Kahrs. It was impacting their .40 models in a big way a few years ago.

Give Kahr a call - they may send you new followers and/or a new mag catch.

Hope your Kahr ends up working better than mine did! Good luck.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It's happened 3 times in 200 rounds. Once out of those three, it stove piped the spent round.

I can't remember if it was half way through (3 or 4 rounds) or if it was like the 2nd round or what. Could have been 3rd or 4th round I guess.

The first time out (first 100 rounds) was with the new gun with the magazine that came with it and it happened twice (one of those stove piped the spent round).

The 2nd time out shooting (2nd 100 rounds) I took with me a new magazine that I had received mail order (factory mag). This time out, it happened once. It ejected the spent round and the mag dropped half way out.

I've noticed that the new magazine does not drop free. Kinda snug. I worked it (empty) in and out of the mag well about a hundred times last night and that loosened it up so it drops free most of the time now when pressing the mag release button.

I've also noticed that most of the empties that I pick up off the ground have a flat spot, or dent, or mashed section of the rim. They are not perfectly round on the top opening. I wonder if the gun is doing this during ejection.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have 500+ rounds thru my CW9. It works perfect, will now be one of my carry weapons. Last 100 rounds are Hornady Critical Defense.
    Don't give up, manual says break in 200 rounds, run wet.
    Roger

You will like it. I had one when they first came out and carried it everyday. I sold it to fund another purchase and regret doing so. It was the best size/power carry gun I ever owned.

Are you accidently bumping the mag release during recoil? I've been shooting for over 30 years and caught myself doing this when I first started shooting my CW9. I've since slightly changed how I grip it and the problem went away.

Just a thought!

I've got a bunch of rounds through my CW9 but I've never had a problem with the magazine dropping out or down in the middle of a magazine. Also, I don't think its normal for spent cartridges to have a dent on the case mouth. Sounds like the gun needs a little tuning. Mine has always been flawless. Don't give up.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my CW9 is now (finally) over the 700 round mark, with a large variety of ammo, and many shooters....so far, not a single hint of a malfunction

surv

I just got an email from kahr technical support. They are going to send me a magazine catch. We will start there and see if that solves it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

[QUOTE=

I've also noticed that most of the empties that I pick up off the ground have a flat spot, or dent, or mashed section of the rim. They are not perfectly round on the top opening. I wonder if the gun is doing this during ejection.[/QUOTE]

If your owners manual is the same as the one for my P45, it states that dented casings and primers with striker wipe marks are normal occurrences for Kahr handguns.

I'm glad they are sending you a new mag catch, let us know how it turns out.

Sponsored Links