S&W M&P 9mm Opinions

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 9mm Opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in the gun shop today and found a nice M&P 9mm that I think I might buy especially since they have a factory ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 9mm Opinions

S&W M&P 9mm Opinions

I was in the gun shop today and found a nice M&P 9mm that I think I might buy especially since they have a factory rebate offer on them now. Looking for opinions on this weapon (good and bad) from anyone who has used them.

Navy

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one but I shot a couple. First impression is it looks nice, feels nice, pretty accurate, but the trigger was too scratchy, too gritty. It's the only S&W I've fired with a trigger I didn't prefer. Don't base your potential purchase on just my opinion. Others will rave over that model and that's fine. It's becoming a popular model with the police and civilian markets as well. One big positive, if it breaks, S&W will repair it free. Nowadays, that alone can be a good selling point.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

I have the full size in .45 acp. It's an all around good gun, the trigger smoothes out after a few hundred rounds. There is an Apex Sear that makes it shoot a little more like a 1911.

I would buy another one. But, as always, shoot before you buy.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have the .40 compact and love it. The trigger does smooth out...however I am planning on getting the Apex sear package since I love my gun and will carry it 4-eva.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I have a full size 9 love it. Thinking of getting a compact. shoot a couple different makes and models.

I carry 1911's, but I love the M&P9 for classes and training. I had the 45 as well, both compact and full size, but now just the 9mm. The only polymer gun I own. I've owned a handful of others, but the M&P is by far my favorite. One of mine had the S&W trigger job, so it was more crisp. The others were OK, but that sear sounds good. Mine's going off for a FDE IonBond slide in the next few months.

It is a very soft shooter!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I also am a 1911 man, but I too like the M&P`s. I bought the wifey a M&P 9c for Christmas and she loves it, shoots great. I liked it so much I bought myself the midsize .45 and so far it has been great. I don't think you would regret buying one. Good luck.

i love my 9c.. it's a completely different gun with the apex upgrades.. i installed the sear and the striker block and the trigger is smooth as butter and comes in a little over 4lbs... it's the best $74 enhancement out there!

I have a 9C and a 45C, both are LE models, and both are great guns. I've shot about 10K in the 45 and 15K in the 9mm (I shoot alot) and have had 0 gun related issues. I have found the newer shiny black finish wears quicker than the old dull one.

The only complaint I have is the size of the .45 base pads for the mags....they're pretty long and hard to index your finger for reloads.

Yep, huge basepads! 10-8 Performance makes some smaller metal ones that are easier to index. About half way down in this link - M-P_Products

I shot the heck out of my full size 45 and it was such a soft shooter. I like the 9mm for training. Again, I am all about 1911's, but sometimes it's nice to have 18 rounds of a soft caliber. Plus, I don't mind banging it and moving while on the ground. Also, I practice a ton of malfunction drills and I much prefer to slam the slide on an M&P's empty chamber over an Ed Brown's!

Jonathan
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

glock for 9mm. m&p for 40cal. have owned both.

Pat Rogers - principal of EAG Tactical (serious weapons training) says "my carry guns are 1911s, but my work guns are M+Ps."

Take that as a tribute to the M+P's reliability. Pat runs about 25 multi-day courses a year, all involving sidearms either as primary or secondary weapons - he knows whereof he speaks.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the M&P45fs that I have installed the Apex sear in. It really improved the trigger. I also have the 9fs and 9c that have replaced my Glock 23 and 27. I am really impressed with the way they shoot and carry. Try one, you'll like it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy View Post
    I was in the gun shop today and found a nice M&P 9mm that I think I might buy especially since they have a factory rebate offer on them now. Looking for opinions on this weapon (good and bad) from anyone who has used them.

Navy
    I have two (well, actually my wife co-opted them, so she has two) - a 9mm compact and an 9 Pro.

The trigger on the 9 Pro was very nice right out of the box.

There was a trace of grittiness with the 9c, but it wore in nicely after a few hundred rounds.

Both have been very reliable, and they are comfortable and accurate.

I'd highly recommend the M&P.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

My cousin has the 9mm compact.
    Nice gun and way accurate enough for defensive purposes.
    Plenty of accessories also.
    Ive owned 3 SW autos.
    All have been reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links