My new everyday gun/guns...

This is a discussion on My new everyday gun/guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying my Para Ordnance LTC .45 Auto during the cold months, but now that it is beginning to warm up and I ...

Thread: My new everyday gun/guns...

My new everyday gun/guns...

I have been carrying my Para Ordnance LTC .45 Auto during the cold months, but now that it is beginning to warm up and I don't need a jacket, it is harder to conceal. I have an LCP, but working night security, I wanted a little better performance than a .380 ACP. So I went shopping for a more practical CCW. I had it down to 2 guns. Either a Taurus PT-709 Slim or a Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact 9mm. After doing a little research I opted for the Sig. I liked the size and feel and the option to change calibers and frame sizes. It is DAO, but it is smooth and very light. I chose this for the simple functionality and reasonable safety of a DAO without having to worry about a manual safety in the heat of things. I can carry it in a myltitude of ways, including in my pocket. It has a Nitron finish, which will be good to have during the humid summer months in Alabama, and Sig Lite night sights for those low light encounters. But the other reason I chose it was the ability to change calibers and frame sizes. When I go hiking, I plan on changing to a full size .45 Auto. So I just remove the inner frame, drop it in the full size grip, add the new barrel and slide and BAM!!! Ready to go. I know this pistol has recieved mixed receptions, but for me it fits exactly what I need. I will post a range report tomorrow after returning from the range.

Thank you and good night...:D

2. Remove Ads

I could be mistaken. But I believe the P250's are limited to 9/40 internal swaps. And the .45 has it's own internals. I could be wrong, but I believe that is how the p250 frame system work. They do have one sweet trigger though!

The same frame sizes and slide will work for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig. I just need the barrel, recoil spring, and magazine accordingly. To use .45 ACP, I will need to get a frame fitted for the .45 ACP magazine well and the X-Change kit that includes the slide, recoil spring and guide rod, and barrel.

Adam's right, the only additional part needed to swap to .45 (as opposed to between 9, .40, and 357SIG) is a $35 grip frame to accommodate the .45's larger magazine.

Glad you're liking your new Sig, Adam! :)

VIP Member
    Great choice, picking the Sig. It should serve you well... Being a retired LEO, might I suggest carrying the LCP in an ankle holster for a BUG...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I was planning on carrying the LCP in a Talon Training Group wallet holster in my back pocket as well.

You made the right choice. SIG vs Taurus. No comparison.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    You made the right choice. SIG vs Taurus. No comparison.
    +1 there. Taurus has a fine lineup, but for overall quality and reliability the nod would go to the Sig nine outa ten times I would imagine.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have to chime in....YES, SIG all the way....Taurus' are nice for the money, but you are comparing apples to oranges in the quality department.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

New guns are the bomb!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links