Opinions on Charter Arms Southpaw (and 22 mag)

This is a discussion on Opinions on Charter Arms Southpaw (and 22 mag) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Anyone have experience with or even seen one of the Southpaws? I love revolvers and happen to be a lefty. Obviously I have been ...

Thread: Opinions on Charter Arms Southpaw (and 22 mag)

Hello.
    Anyone have experience with or even seen one of the Southpaws? I love revolvers and happen to be a lefty. Obviously I have been able to deal with the right hand bias in the revolver market but would like to finally be able to shoot them naturally. I have heard that, in general Charter Arms has a good product but have never seen any of their guns. I actually went to the website to check out their 22lr/mag combo and might end up with both if I could ever get my hands on them. It would be really nice if they offered the Southpaw in a 4" barrel too.

Thanks.
    Ceapea

Just a bump to keep this near the top in case anybody has any info.

Southpaw

I purchased my Charter Arms Southpaw a few days ago and I love it. It is extremely lightweight and very accurate. Iíve already run 50 rounds through it and intend to run another 50 tonight. Balance is great and the full sized handle helps a lot with recoil. It is rated for 38+P rounds, but I wouldnít suggest it. The lightweight frame does little to reduce recoil. I have five +P rounds that Iím going to shoot tonight, but my bet is itís gonna hurt like hell. For carry I keep a good self defense, low recoil round in it such as Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Hydra Shok, both at 110 grain. Both my HKS speed loader and Blackhawk IWB holster that I had for my Smith & Wesson Model 60 J frame fit the Southpaw perfectly. Now I just wish Crimson Trace would develop a laser handle for the Southpaw with the laser on the left side.
    Reloads took a little practice as Iím use to loading a right handed revolver (I am left handed) but with more practice it should shave 2 or 3 seconds off my reload time.
    The only complaint I have for the weapon is it wasnít lubed very well out of the box and all the moving parts were stiff. I borrowed some gun oil from the shooting range that I bought it from and lubed it before shooting. After oiling and running 50 rounds through it everything loosened up perfectly.
    I paid $400 plus federal tax for mine and it came with a hard case and a nice trigger lock.
    With 15% of the US adult population being left handed itís about time someone created a wheel gun for us. Kudos Charter Arms and thanks for keeping the price down!

Never shot the southpaw but have a Charter Arms 44 special. Recoil is mild and the gun functions very well. No problems to mention over the 6 years I've had it.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Thanks for the input! I had a chance to hold the right handed version of the gun today and it is light weight. I agree that +P would be a bit much in that gun. But I like +P in my revolvers. I had a chance a few months back to shoot a S&W Scandium J-frame with standard .38 spl and it had more recoil and was much less comfortable to shoot than my M60 w/.357 on board. I may have to reconsider getting the Southpaw until they offer it in Stainless. All of my revolvers are steel of some kind and I have no problem carrying or using the "heavy" 23 oz j-frames.
    I did look at the .44's and like them quite a bit. I may be looking at my 1st double action .44 soon and will keep the 4" Bulldog in mind.

Ceapea

I forgot to mention...the Charter revolver that I held (the Undercover) had a very comfortable grip and a VERY nice trigger pull. Better than I expected and every bit as smooth as any of my S&W guns.

Cody, when I called the Charter office last week, they said that the Crimson Trace grips work on the Southpaw and the laser is always in the clear regardless of which hand you hold it with. I know that I have no problems with the laser grips on either of my two j-frames, no matter what hand I hold them in.

Ceapea

My wife has one and loves it. Nothing special, just does what its suppose to.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I tried one out before getting my S&W 340. The advantage of dominant hand reloading is outweighed by the better feel and shooting of the S&W, IMO. Not saying the Charter Arms is bad - just that the S&W is better, at least for me.

Make the first 5 shots count and it won't matter which side the cylinder swings out to reload. Or practice reloading a conventional revolver left-handed - there's a few ways to do it, but I sorta hold the pistol and cylinder with left hand and load the ammo over the back of my hand with the right.

Sponsored Links