XDM or Hi Power

This is a discussion on XDM or Hi Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really thought I had my choice of new carry narrowed to a XDM 3.8, then I picked up a Hi Power. Both feel great ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XDM or Hi Power

Question XDM or Hi Power

I really thought I had my choice of new carry narrowed to a XDM 3.8, then I picked up a Hi Power. Both feel great in the hands but the Hi Power just feels oh so much better.

I've had both a XD and a 1911 so I'm familiar with both platforms. Since I do not have the money for a Browning I could purchase a FM 90 from JGsales. XDM will run me about $580 for a Bitone while the FM90 is $360 shipped. With the extra money left over from the FM90 I could customize it and get a nice holster.

XDM 19+1 FM90 13+1
    XDM Grip Safety FM90 Thumb Safety
    XDM 28oz FM90 32oz

Only if I just handled the XDM and not picked up the Hi Power. I would have it purchased already.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    XDM gets my vote. But it's up to you.

JD
    Administrator
    If you haven't shot a Hi Power yet, I would do so before buying one. If you're prone to hammer bite your shooting experience may not be all that fun.

The XDM is ready to go out of the box, no mods needed. That means more time in your holster, in use and no time out being smithed. Not to mention pouring $$$ in upgrades to a cheaper gun is not really money well spent IMHO. If you put $300 worth of work into a $300 gun, you now have $600 invested in a $300 gun...

I have both, and until I change the hammer on my Hi Power, I prefer the XDM but I do find my HP to be a better shooter. Your mileage may vary. One thing I don't like about the HP is that it gets really, really hot after shooting 100 rounds, while it's not that big an issue I've found that the XDM doesn't get as hot, probably due to the beefier slide being a better heat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you haven't shot a Hi Power yet, I would do so before buying one. If you're prone to hammer bite your shooting experience may not be all that fun.

The XDM is ready to go out of the box, no mods needed. That means more time in your holster, in use and no time out being smithed. Not to mention pouring $$$ in upgrades to a cheaper gun is not really money well spent IMHO. If you put $300 worth of work into a $300 gun, you now have $600 invested in a $300 gun...

I have both, and until I change the hammer on my Hi Power, I prefer the XDM but I do find my HP to be a better shooter. Your mileage may vary. One thing I don't like about the HP is that it gets really, really hot after shooting 100 rounds, while it's not that big an issue I've found that the XDM doesn't get as hot, probably due to the beefier slide being a better heat sink.
    The first thing I noticed was the hammer. I believe how I grip the guy I would need to modify the hammer otherwise I might have a bloody hand.

I guess my problem is I'm trying to find THE carry gun. I changed my carry gun several times due to various reasons. I carried a full size 1911 but because of lower back problems I replaced it with a Glock 27. I just sold my Glock yesterday just because I couldn't get used to the grip and the thickness. I know this next purchase won't be my last but I would like something that I won't change out again in a few months.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Although i've never shot a hi power, the SAXD is a fantastic pistol. It gets my vote due to the fact that I cant think of anything I would change :)

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    xdm here
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I've had a High-Power for years and never gotten bit once. That is total hype. The HP is a great pistol been around a lot longer than any plastic pistol. You should definitely shoot one first before you make the decision. Once you shoot it, the decision will be easier. If it fits your hand, buy it. You will be happier later.

Gaz
    The Hi-Power is a great gun, but if your natural grip on the weapon is too high, you'll get bit. That isn't hype, it just depends on your grip.

I agree with the other suggestions to shoot both and see what you like, they're both excellent pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    The Hi-Power is a great gun, but if your natural grip on the weapon is too high, you'll get bit. That isn't hype, it just depends on your grip.

I agree with the other suggestions to shoot both and see what you like, they're both excellent pistols.
    Unfortunately my range does not have either to shoot. I guess the XDM would shoot similar to the XD maybe better with the improvements made.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    The first thing I noticed was the hammer. I believe how I grip the guy I would need to modify the hammer otherwise I might have a bloody hand.

I guess my problem is I'm trying to find THE carry gun. I changed my carry gun several times due to various reasons. I carried a full size 1911 but because of lower back problems I replaced it with a Glock 27. I just sold my Glock yesterday just because I couldn't get used to the grip and the thickness. I know this next purchase won't be my last but I would like something that I won't change out again in a few months.
    When you say you didn't like the thickness of the Glock, are you referring to slide, grip or thickness of both?

The HPs and XDM are about the same thickness in grip as the Glock, but are a different grip angle. The slide of the XDM is slightly thinner than the Glock, while the slide of the HP is going to be the slimmest of the three.

Regarding hammer bite being "hype" it must have been the poltergeists coming after me again...For a read on hammer bite, check out THIS ARTICLE from Stephen Camp, probably the most knowledgeable about the HP that I've come across.

I shoot all my guns with a high grip, if I do this with a HP, I get bit and I'm not going to change something common across all my guns to accommodate on firearm when I can change the hammer on one gun and maintain the same grip across my selection.

The XDM 3.8 will be a little shorter in length than the HP as the HP is longer than the original XDM, but the XDM is a taller gun as shown here:

The XDM 3.8 is not light either, 19 rounds of 9mm does add some weight and may make it carry a little differently than something else.

The grip of the gun is the hardest to conceal, and with the longer grip the XDM/XDM3.8 is not as easy to conceal as others.

If you had no problems with a full size 1911 you should be fine with concealing the XDM. If you liked the compactness of the G26, I'd suggest not getting a XDM 3.8 as it is not a small gun by any means.

Thanks JD for the side by side pictures. I guess with the Glock's grip angle it just didn't feel right to me. I know the grip is about the same width but the length of the grip is shorter due to the changeable inserts. Overall both XDM and HP just sit and feel better in my hands then a Glock. I have fairly large hands and a larger frame gun just feels better to me. Then again I find the LCP not too bad to shoot.

Besides the weight issue on my lower back I'm having some issues with Carpal Tunnel so the smaller light weight guns are becoming an issue at the moment. I'm usually fine at the range but after wards my wrist doesn't feel that good for a few days. I started wearing a wrist guard thing during the day while typing hopefully it gets back to normal soon.

By the way know of any places to get a cheap fabric board?
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Thanks for the advice everyone but I just "pulled the trigger" on a XDM Bitone 3.8 $562 shipped!
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

i would choose an xdm i have 2 1911 one full size and compact and i just recently purchased the 3.8 xdm in a 40 cal. i believe the hi power are great but i like the feel of a 1911 better.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    By the way know of any places to get a cheap fabric board?
    I don't know where Lima got this one, I think she got it at Joann's or Michael's when she was doing some sewing...surprisingly she did not get upset when I hi-jacked it for those photos.

Id choose the Hi Power but that is more because I like older semi unique pistols and not the run of the mill plasticool pistols that are all the rage these days.

Now that I have gotten done singing the praises of the HP and hating on the XDM I will say that there are a few more advantages in user friendliness the XDM has over the HP. It is a point and click interface and is lighter. The grip is bigger though and it is blockier. The HP has svelte lines and conceals nicely IWB. The grip, though large itself, is slightly smaller than the XDM so this also aids in concealment. The XDM has higher capacity. HP is SAO and XDM is DAO for all intents and purposes.

I am comfortable with cocked and locked carry and I like the concealability of the HP. The HP feels loads better and balances nicer and shoots better for me. I like the steel frame and have a good belt and holster to tote it around in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links