Colt Government 380

This is a discussion on Colt Government 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy! Glade to here everyone love's them. I owned one years ago one of the lightweight I believe it was compact mustang. I for one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Government 380

Howdy!

Glade to here everyone love's them. I owned one years ago one of the lightweight I believe it was compact mustang. I for one believe it was the most "DANGEROUS UNSAFE" handguns I have ever owned, and traded it off quickly. It had no grip safety like the Colt 1911. I tried carrying it cocked and locked and found the safety could be knocked off with ease. I then carried it in the half cock with the hammer down and you could actually put the safety on in that position so I did. To my surprise I discovered that you could from the half cock position drop the safety pull the trigger and the weapon could fire. That was it for me traded it and did not recommend them to anyone else. I don't believe I had a bad one as I was a LEO firearms instructor observed others that came to the range could to do the same thing. My only regret is I should have kept it they are worth alot of money now. Sorry just my opinion!

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon
    Last edited by chiefneon; January 5th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

2. Remove Ads

When is the updated model coming out?
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    Howdy!

Glade to here everyone love's them. I owned one years ago one of the lightweight I believe it was compact mustang. I for one believe it was the most "DANGEROUS UNSAFE" handguns I have ever owned, and traded it off quickly. It had no grip safety like the Colt 1911. I tried carrying it cocked and locked and found the safety could be knocked off with ease. I then carried it in the half cock with the hammer down and you could actually put the safety on in that position so I did. To my surprise I discovered that you could from the half cock position drop the safety pull the trigger and the weapon could fire. That was it for me traded it and did not recommend them to anyone else. I don't believe I had a bad one as I was a LEO firearms instructor observed other that came to the range to do the same thing. My only regret is I should have kept it they are worth alot of money now. Sorry just my opinion!

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon
    Hmmmm. I have tried this experiment at the range many many times. My gun will not fire from the half cocked position. As I understand it, the firing pin floats, and the hammer imparts momentum to it against a spring. There is not enough momentum generated from half-cocked position to cause the firing pin to hit and dent the primer.

The safety on mine stays nicely put but certainly could get knocked out of position. A good holster protects against that.

There is also a safety that block the pin from moving if the trigger is not pulled.

I do wish they had managed to work a grip safety into the design, but it sure seems fine the way it is; at least to me.

All of that said, because these have gained in value and are sort after, they probably aren't the wisest every day choice.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

CIMG0187.jpg this is mine....I've worked it over....made a ss guide rod for it ..and I made the grips...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links