Colt Government 380

This is a discussion on Colt Government 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased this gun several years ago. It is one of my favorites for concealment. If it had an ambidextrous safety it would be my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Government 380

Colt Government 380

I purchased this gun several years ago. It is one of my favorites for concealment. If it had an ambidextrous safety it would be my primary bug. I've been talking to sarge about some grips but would like to know of others that have this gun and what kind of improvements you've made to your gun...
    Attached Images
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately I stupidly sold mine a few years ago. I wish I had it back...
    3/5 Cav, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

NRA-life member

Very nice!!!

It is very hard to improve on a very nice gun.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Nice Colt! I have a colt mustang that I think is slightly smaller than that model. I bought an LCP to replace it since I wanted something I could pocket carry a little easier as a BUG and I didn't have to pocket carry cocked and locked. They are fantastic little pistols and have really gone up in price over the years.

Nice !! i have a mustang also. burned up a coupla boxes yesterday actually, ran flawlessly if it was clean. not a bad gun but dunno if i would trust my life with it yet. still prefer the xdsc but deff a conversation starter at the range and fun gun to shoot..

Cool little guns! A couple of months ago, at a Tanner Gun Show here in Denver a guy had 5 or 6 of them for sale in all flavors (blue, stainless, electroless nickel) for a lot of $$$. They certainly have gone up in price.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I love the Colt .380 government model.
    I have found that the magazine release sometimes releases by itself if your holster covers the button. I cut my holsters so there is no material close to the mag release.

Very embarrassing to have the magazine pop out by surprise.

I hate it when that happens.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by crstrode View Post
    I love the Colt .380 government model.
    I have found that the magazine release sometimes releases by itself if your holster covers the button. I cut my holsters so there is no material close to the mag release.

Very embarrassing to have the magazine pop out by surprise.

I hate it when that happens.
    I used to have that problem and went to a different holster. My question is what kind of improvements are offered or available for the gun? I usually carry my sp101 as a bug or primary in shorts and wife beater weather.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

I just got my Colt Government 380 back from Colt. Didn't have any custom work done to it, just set back up to factory specs. I have had this gun for a long time and still love it. I ran 100 rounds of different brands of JHP through it. Never missed a lick. At 25 yds I had no problem keeping all shots on an eight inch paper plate and was actually grouping pretty tight.

I would love to send mine to Cylinder and Slide and have Novak night sights installed. They do good work and have lots of options for the Colt Government 380. I just think before I spend that much money I would just buy the Sig 238.

If Colt starts making the 380 again I am afraid the value of mine will drop big time.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I believe in the KISS principle. IMO you do not need an ambi safety as you can disenge it with your non dominant hand very easily. We're talking very short distances for SD so practice up on your point shooting with that baby. Would love to own one to go with my Commander but they are very expensive and I just purchased the Commander which I've fallen in love with.

Some designs do not need improved upon. Your mini 1911 is one of them. Congrats on owning a very fine Colt.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

There's very little I want to do. I would like the longer solid rod instead of the small plastic one. And I did see a sight job done on one that was awesome but probably not gonna spend the money on that. If I'm using it it'll probably be 10' to 0. Grips are something I'm considering and will check with Sarge before I go anywhere else. Stronger spring is a consideration but haven't had any trouble with the one in it. I've probably put less than 150 rds through it in 10+ years. Even considered selling it a couple months back... But then I took it out, cleaned it and started carrying it instead.

ad utrumque paratus

Me too....

Quote Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
    Unfortunately I stupidly sold mine a few years ago. I wish I had it back...
    Sadly, I am in the same boat... sold mine several years back for about what I paid for it... Can't touch one now for less than double the price!!! Wish I had kept it.... :(

I still have and carry mine. For those that have them for safe queens, bring them out and use them. They are tools.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Speaking of safe queens, here's mine which I haven't fired in at least 20 years:

1911pistols002.jpg
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Speaking of safe queens, here's mine which I haven't fired in at least 20 years:

1911pistols002.jpg
    Smart of you to make this beauty a safe queen. My father bought one 25 years ago and he recently was offered 4 times its original price at a gun show. He decided not to sell it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links