Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE? - Page 2

Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE?

This is a discussion on Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jyo One of my shooting buddies has a Bond .45 ACP pistol and I have shot it a bunch. First, forget about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE?

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    One of my shooting buddies has a Bond .45 ACP pistol and I have shot it a bunch. First, forget about the sights, this is strictly a VERY close range defense gun. The trigger pull when he got it was like 30 pounds! Bond sent him some replacement trigger parts which got the pull down to maybe 15-18 lbs---still not great. He will be selling it soon to fund a small Glock .45.
    The trigger pull is much lighter if you pull down instead of straight in,
    in and mostly down is the way it is made to move.
    Also do not let your hand put pressure on the hammer as this will add to the trigger resistance.
    My wife and I have been shooting these for about 8 years now and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    Thanks for stopping by.

Which caliber did you buy next? Bond Arms told me that the 38/357, 9mm, .22LR, and the .45ACP were the most popular second barrel purchases.
    I got the 45 acp next, then the 44 mag, then the 357/38 special,then the 9 mil,
    and the 40 cal. I traded the 44 mag for a 3 inch 410/45 colt, because the 44 mag was just too much for me , made my wrist and hand hurt after only 2 shots. Also got a 45 colt only bbl for better accuracy using those cartridges.
    got some 45 schofield cowboy action loads for practice and saved $ and recoil ,
    sort of a 45 colt short and pleasant to shoot for long periods.
    Last edited by rich cheese; April 21st, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

I want to pick one of these up, not for carry as my department wouldn't approve it, but just for the fun factor. I am thinking about one in .32 H&R Magnum, which I expect to have light enough recoil to make the Bond fun to shoot. It would be a nice match for my .32 Single Six, and other barrels are always available.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

It has always been my philosophy, that if you HAVE to shoot someone, its 2 in the chest and one in the head. In other words you better kill him, wounded Lions still kill...Soooo, why would you want a shotgun shell, or an inaccurate round with an inaccurate round for backup? A shotshell would probably get you a big lawsuit or maybe dead. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I want to pick one of these up, not for carry as my department wouldn't approve it, but just for the fun factor. I am thinking about one in .32 H&R Magnum, which I expect to have light enough recoil to make the Bond fun to shoot. It would be a nice match for my .32 Single Six, and other barrels are always available.
    I love it. You will not regret it either.

Enjoy~

Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    It has always been my philosophy, that if you HAVE to shoot someone, its 2 in the chest and one in the head. In other words you better kill him, wounded Lions still kill...Soooo, why would you want a shotgun shell, or an inaccurate round with an inaccurate round for backup? A shotshell would probably get you a big lawsuit or maybe dead. JMO
    Thanks for stopping by.

Just curious, have you been able to shoot one of these pocket canons? I can tell you right now, I would not want to be on the other end of one of these Snake Slayers, should the trigger get pulled. It would be a for sure disaster. Both rounds are pretty accurate up to 15 feet, and I don't know about anyone else, but if I can't hit the BG with those two shots, I am in the wrong place. Secondly, a law suit!?! I doubt he/she would be around to enter a courtroom after they caught that buckshot or 45LC round in their chest. The hit is pretty bad to the bone.

Take a look at these two links and see what you think:

YouTube - Bond Arms SNAKE SLAYER 410/45 Long Colt

YouTube - Bond Arms Ranger vs Porkribs.mp4

You wouldn't want to depend on it for combat fire or a carry gun on duty, but certainly a CC double barrel shotgun to be reckoned with for sure.

Just my 4 cents (a couple extra for inflation).

I love my Bond texas defender as a last ditch bug, or when nothing else will hide well. Mine rides in the front pocket weak side as there is usually something already in the strong side. I got a good ankle rig for it too. (GO AWAY CARJACKERS)
    Just stay away from tiny bird shot, it loses velocity and spreads too fast. Stick to any type of buckshot or even slugs, and you will have a great close range blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by rich cheese View Post
    ...I got a good ankle rig for it too.
    what kind of ankle rig did you pick up?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    what kind of ankle rig did you pick up?
    Just a cheap uncle mikes sidekick with velcro/plastic adjustable retention snap straps,size 10 . It is a tad bigger than needs to be, the gun may fit in the next size down but it may not . This was all I could find on the cheap at the local store/indoor range.
    Also fits my old interarms ppk/s with a little BBL sticking out the end.

Well, I put a Texas Defender in .45 ACP on layaway. I couldn't find the .32 H&R version at anywhere near as good a price, and I had always planned to get a couple of extra barrels anyway. Now I'll just have to buy a .32 H&R barrel instead of a .45 ACP barrel.

I'm not planning on carrying it, except perhaps when working in the yard. In that event it would be with the .45 ACP barrel anyway, probably loaded with a 255 grain LSWC. I've had great success with 250 and 255 grain bullets in my .45 ACP autos, and I suspect that the Bond's 3" barrel is probably less than ideal for .45 expansion anyway.

So, I'll be getting barrels in .32 H&R and .44 Special, to match my .32 H&R Single Six and .44 Special Blackhawk respectively.

I am not one of those people that thinks a .410/.45 Colt barrel is particularly useful. .410 ballistics are pretty unimpressive even from a real shotgun. Yes, it might be good for snakes, but for any other use, I can't see the .410 chambering offering an advantage. Some folks suggest .410 slugs, but the huge majority of those weigh less than 100 grains, and from a short barrel they are not moving along at a velocity much more impressive than a .45 Colt bullet. Since we are talking single projectile anyway, it seems like the larger diameter and more than twice as heavy bullet is the better choice. As for 000 Buckshot, with 3 pellets that is usual in the .410, again, I think the .45 Colt makes more sense.

I am sure that the .410 is a lot of fun to shoot out of the Bond Arms guns. However, given the cost of .410 ammunition, and the fact that I don't handload for shotguns, I can have just as much fun more cheaply with straight pistol chamberings.

I think this little bugger is going to be a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to shooting it.
    Last edited by Landric; May 3rd, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I have shot mine a lot. My opinion YMMV. Loose the triggerguard it's worthless unless the laws in your area require it. The only ammo worth shooting in 410 is the Federal Premium self defense 410 in 000 buck and #4 shot. Wally World 12.95/box of 20. Makes the difference between night and day. All pellets of 000 on target past 35' and with #4 no more dognut patterns and useable past 35' also. Better velocity as they are loaded with a faster burning pistol powder. Try it you'll love it.
    Recoil is manageable with either 45 or 410.

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    I have shot mine a lot. My opinion YMMV. Loose the triggerguard it's worthless unless the laws in your area require it. The only ammo worth shooting in 410 is the Federal Premium self defense 410 in 000 buck and #4 shot. Wally World 12.95/box of 20. Makes the difference between night and day. All pellets of 000 on target past 35' and with #4 no more dognut patterns and useable past 35' also. Better velocity as they are loaded with a faster burning pistol powder. Try it you'll love it.
    Recoil is manageable with either 45 or 410.
    My exact sentiments; I love my Snake Slayer 4.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    FYI to new shooters. Try this and you will find yourself in front of a jury explaining why you shot to kill rather than shot to stop. What you describe is taught by special forces, not civilian instructors. What you use is not the problem. The problem is shooting after a threat is stopped. You would have to prove why three shots were necessary and the shot to the head would be presented to a jury as an execution type shot. You admit that you want to kill so how are you going to explain to a jury that despite only being allowed to shoot until the threat is stopped, that you shot someone twice and then administered the kill shot, execution style? Read your State laws. They all say you can shoot to defend yourself until the threat is stopped. None of them say you can kill intentionally.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I haven't owned nor shot one, but after seeing one--and they are huge--I'd pass and get a J-frame.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I had a 357 mag American Arms derringer. It was well made & solid. I just about only shot 38 spcl in it. That's also one of the few guns I've sold or traded off. I traded even up for a NIB Ruger Mark II 22 handgun. The guy was into the 'cowboy action' scene, needed a derringer.

That gun was also the closest I came under somewhat defensive use of a gun. They didn't need shooting, but I scared off some dogs that had a deer cornered while it was tangled in a fence.

I have lighter J frames that at least offer 5 shots, near the same size. They can be cool guns, but the practical use for the 2 shots is limited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links