Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE?

This is a discussion on Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HELP PLEASE!!! I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - GOT ONE?

HELP PLEASE!!!

I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their construction, experience with durability, recoil, practicality, different barrels, etc.

I've seen the Snake Slayer 3.5", the Snake Slayer 4.25", as well as the Ranger 4.25". I've noted these because of their "Extended Grips" which really make a difference when considering the size of my hands.

Here are a few questions that I have for those of you who can reflect and respond: (When responding, please provide which BA revolver you own)

1.) What is the recoil like between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels? Is it really measurable?

2.) What is the overall rating and thoughts on the 45 Colt / 410 barrel? What is the maximum effective distance that you've been able to note thus far with the 410 round (and which 410 shot were you using)? How did the 45 Colt round handle?

3.) Trigger guard make a big difference? I know it is mainly a personal preference, but just curious what most are preferring out there.

4.) What type of holster carry options are you using with your Bond Arms Derringer of choice? IWB, OWB, Driving Concealed Holster style,etc.?

5.) Carry extra shells / rounds with you? If so, how do you carry them (speed strips, loose, belt strip, holster with extra round loops, etc.)?

6.) Overall rating of Bond Arms service and response times on any issues that you may have had with your BA revolver?

7.) Feel free to share any other thoughts, observations, issues, or complaints that you have on these interesting little pocket canons.

Thank you for your time and consideration in sharing here.

In my experience shooting a derringer is a hand full, a hurtful hurtful hand full. Their downsides include: only 2 shots, most are single action, expensive and very heavy vs. other pocket guns. In my opinion, look at the pocket micro 9s like the Kahr pm9, cw9; Keltec pf9; Rohrbaugh r9, etc. If you want more boom in your pocket look at the Kahr pm45; or a 38+p/ 357 mag snub revolver. Derringers have some panache, but I wouldn't trust my life to one when there are so many better choices.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

The ones I have handled seemed heavy for the 2 shots that you get with this pocket cannon.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    In my experience shooting a derringer is a hand full, a hurtful hurtful hand full. Their downsides include: only 2 shots, most are single action, expensive and very heavy vs. other pocket guns. In my opinion, look at the pocket micro 9s like the Kahr pm9, cw9; Keltec pf9; Rohrbaugh r9, etc. If you want more boom in your pocket look at the Kahr pm45; or a 38+p/ 357 mag snub revolver. Derringers have some panache, but I wouldn't trust my life to one when there are so many better choices.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I have a Ruger LCP pocket pistol and love it, but was just curious on these "Bond Arms" Derringers, brand specific. I've heard some very great reviews on them and that they (Bond Arms) are not even in the same league as some of the other Derringers on the market or within reach.

Checking them out; they are very nice in the hands though. I haven't fired one YET, but......curiosity is what killed the cat and from the looks of it, I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of these little critters.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    but......curiosity is what killed the cat and from the looks of it, I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of these little critters.
    "Curiosity got framed. Poor judgment killed the cat!" - from a DC signature

what are you using for holsters folks?

Holsters

MJ Keenan is my choice for my Davis .38spl
    Attached Images

I own a Bond Arms Snake Slayer. Here's my take.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post

1.) Recoil is not that much different between the two barrels. The big difference is that pattern (with a 410 shell) you will have at a longer distance with the longer barrel. The 45LC's will be a bit more accurate as well due to the longer barrel and more rifling inside of it.

2.) The 45LC shoots like a 9mm. It's really a pretty gentle round coming from the gun. The 410GA on the other hand is a handful. Max range on the 45LC (and still on target) was about 25 yards for me. It did take a bit of practice. The 410 is much closer. I wouldn't shoot someone more than 7 yards away. The great thing about shooting someone that distance with say a 6 shot load is that the spread is so large that it would be impossible not to have shot lodge into their face possibly putting out one or two eyes. The bleeding from that should pretty bad considering head wounds bleed badly.

3.) The trigger guard is just that...a preference. I have one on mine and wouldn't have it any other way.

4.) Right now my holster is cheap...Blackhawk pocket holster. It works but I will upgrade to something leather before long. Once again...it's preference.

5.) I don't carry extra ammo. I carry one 410 shell (bottom chamber) for the first shot and a 45LC HP for my follow up shot. First shot to blind and for me to get away; second to kill if needed.

6.) Top notch. You will call and get a live person. Outstanding.

7.) Very large and heavy. A belt will be needed to hold up your pants.

I have two Bond Arms derringers, a Snake Slayer IV that I use for walking around on my farm and a Texas Defender in .45 ACP to use as a BUG. I also have spare barrel sets in .22 LR, .327 Federal, and .38/.357. I want another action so that everyone in the family has one.

1.) The recoil with .410 shot shells is negligible to me, especially with the Snake Slayer grip. I stick with standard velocity .45 Colt rounds as the muzzle blast with the short barrel is impressive. +P rounds would be too much for me. I trust the gun would have no issues as Bond used to offer a .44 Magnum barrel set.

2.) The .410 is good for snakes, but not for much else. I tried #6 and #7.5 shot. I got very little penetration with either. I used a dead oak tree as an aiming point, and most of the shot did not penetrate the bark. The pattern spread would ensure at ten feet that you hit the target with lots of pellets. The .45 Colt round did just fine in the penetration department. The .45 ACP did even better. The sights are effective, reminding me of the S&W J-frames, but grip makes a huge difference in POA/POI differences. Lots of practice with the .22 LR barrel was needed for me.

3.) I like the trigger guard as it helps me during presentation.

4.) I have a pocket holster and the Bond driving holster. I prefer the pocket holster for BUG use and the driving holster for farm use. The driving holster keeps the gun out of the way when working. Nice design once I got it broken in. It took some use to get the hammer strap to properly snap.

5.) I carry spare shot shells in my pockets when on the farm. I carry a spare 1911 magazine in case I need to top off the .45 ACP barrel as my primary is a 1911.

6.) No issues here with service. I have only called to order extra barrels. Quick order fulfillment and they got it right.

7.) The trigger pull is unusual. You pull down as much as back. Takes some practice. You also need to be sure to not put any pressure on the hammer; else the trigger pull increases. The trigger pull also is a lot smoother after a few hundred rounds. I suggest shooting .22 LR for those two hundred rounds for good cheap practice and learning how grip changes POA/POI. I also like the barrels without the spring-loaded extractors as there is less resistance when closing the action. Extraction is a snap in any event. The .45 ACP is nice as you get good velocity out of the three-inch barrel and the bullet is subsonic, which lowers the muzzle blast.

jyo
    One of my shooting buddies has a Bond .45 ACP pistol and I have shot it a bunch. First, forget about the sights, this is strictly a VERY close range defense gun. The trigger pull when he got it was like 30 pounds! Bond sent him some replacement trigger parts which got the pull down to maybe 15-18 lbs---still not great. He will be selling it soon to fund a small Glock .45.

JLWMAN and FARSCOTT - Thank you for your reviews and taking the time to be so inclusive; great info.

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    One of my shooting buddies has a Bond .45 ACP pistol and I have shot it a bunch. First, forget about the sights, this is strictly a VERY close range defense gun. The trigger pull when he got it was like 30 pounds! Bond sent him some replacement trigger parts which got the pull down to maybe 15-18 lbs---still not great. He will be selling it soon to fund a small Glock .45.
    How long has he had the .45 acp? Is it the 3" or the 3.5" barrel?

Snake Slay'in!!! RANGE REPORT

Well folks, I have spent some time at the range with my recently acquired Bond Arms Snake Slayer 4 and it was an enjoyable experience. I have the .45 Long Colt / 410 shotgun combination barrel version and it is totally manageable.

It was nothing like I had heard "some" people state and I am glad to have it among my firearm family. When you have the opportunity, you ought to check these little pocket canons out, but be on notice now, you just may get addicted to it.

A great, well made firearm.

Love it~
    DingBat likes this.

They are very intriguing...i just hope they re not something i want rather than need...but what the heck...maybe I should get one.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Thumbs up

I have found that the larger the shot pellets the better the pattern at longer ranges, I have much success with buckshot loads such as 00,000,#4 and #5 Buck, like having several bullet sized balls hitting simultainiuosly, deeper penetration too.
    I use the texas defender with five extra barrels besides the 410/45 colt combo bbl. so I can shoot what ever is in the ammo stash .
    Great backup gun. My wife loves hers too.

Quote Originally Posted by rich cheese View Post
    I have found that the larger the shot pellets the better the pattern at longer ranges, I have much success with buckshot loads such as 00,000,#4 and #5 Buck, like having several bullet sized balls hitting simultainiuosly, deeper penetration too.
    I use the texas defender with five extra barrels besides the 410/45 colt combo bbl. so I can shoot what ever is in the ammo stash .
    Great backup gun. My wife loves hers too.
    Thanks for stopping by.

Which caliber did you buy next? Bond Arms told me that the 38/357, 9mm, .22LR, and the .45ACP were the most popular second barrel purchases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links